Sky Raiders... How have you been using them?

Discussion in 'Battle Strategies' started by Silver Beard, Mar 1, 2015.

1. i like these little guys for clearing something on the other side of the walls. I have found out the hard way about uncleared rock out-cropping a and, of course, flag poles; both of which grounded my raiders well short of their intended targets. So, how do you use them? What do you send them over (can they clear the collectors)? Or, do you just find these guys not useful for your style. So, be sure to check the wind direct first and then send me a reply! Thanks!!!

2. Short answer: No Long answer No I don't use them. :D
    Well only if i'm bored but I can't find a good way to implement them in my load-out

3. ElGordo

ElGordo First Mate

Well used on the right base they fly over the walls and destroy a mortar or more before they die.
    Problem is well used and right base.
    To have 6 to 10 Sky Raider as back up just in case I find a base where they could be useful make no sense for me at the moment.
    It's the same with Thief, Heavy Gunner, Skellywag and Priestess.
    More cons than pros.

4. HG: 7 range. Need I say more?

5. SaK

SaK First Mate

They are too dependent on weather...sometimes u need to modify ur attack according to the weather if ur using those flying monkeys.

Tho, i use them pretty often just when my other troops hv caught the attention of the dfns.

6. I like to have 6... Always pick a base to attack with a favorable wind direction... I tend to drop them about 1 minute into the battle. Gunners have usually cleared items outside the walls. As troops get in range of towers and mortars, I try to selectively take out these special targets. Can be very helpful... And I avoid the fire walls

7. I also like to only send in 2 at a time... Drop two, wait about 10 seconds, drop two more in a slightly different spot if desired...

8. Becker Redbeard

Becker Redbeard First Mate

Initially used the max of eight to great success. Most islands are large enough upwind now (as is yours @Silver Beard ;)) that raiders do not fall within the walls to get to those mortars. Now use four, just in case there is an island that hasn't been properly planned. My guess is above farming PRs they've become rather useless against savvy players with good defense. They can still be dropped to clear outer buildings in good defenses.
    They can fly over collectors but seldom do with long flight lengths with a deep beachhead; your method of two at a time can work to clear an obstruction to allow the next group to get further in as you noted. Less than 4 and they typically die before taking out the intended target.
    Changing wind direction is supposed to be coming, so maybe they'll become more useful again until everyone once again adjusts, putting decorations wide enough that NO direction works.

@The Fish Eyed Pirate do you have a +7 range HG trained? Wonder whether the increased range is that much more helpful in early offense as gun towers, cannons, mortars can still easily reach him and his toughness is just too little IMHO... definitely can't go out early in the attack like a jugg. Plunder Pirates needs a pirate with medium toughness- quite a spread between Juggs/Brutes and the others. And 5 tavern slots, ouch!! I've found one maybe two HG is about all I can send or my raid ends early. Why not spread out 5 gunners with thise slots? You've inspired me to test them again at the least!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  9. Yes 5 tavernspots, that hurts a little. So I usually one implement one, sometime if I want to have fun (PR 400-) I use two.
    But take note that they are NOT in my standard load-out. They are just for when I want to have some fun.

But, no I have not upgraded them so far to the 7 range (don't have the BP to upgrade academy). But I use them even with their range of 5.
    I use them in the same way as I use my WD. They are not DPS, and certainly no tank. Their support. Breaking down buildings fast.
    Their damage might seem low, and probably is lower then that of 5 gunners. But the fire is 100% concentrated which is very helpfull sometimes.

So to conclude my post, I'm happy I inspired you to test them. I hope you find the fun and maybe even more in them ;)

10. @Becker Redbeard , good thoughts. I agree; seems their usefulness continues to drop for me too. That is why I started this thread... To see if anyone was have more success

@The Fish Eyed Pirate , thanks for all the insights. I have not used the HG at this point... I only have them at level 5... So many upgrades needed to make them effective... Although, I have been seeing how brutal they can be as I watch some of my mates get blasted by a full batch of them in replays from the past few days.

cheers!

11. Becker Redbeard

Becker Redbeard First Mate

and yet another Red Flag Fleet banner! Someone wants to make use of their Photoshop purchase. :D

The Fish Eyed Pirate likes this.
  12. What is this "photoshop" you speak of? We draw all our banners with our own hands and send them by postoffice to Midoki HQ.

13. Tex

Tex Commodore

Actually I heard they hired some fancy NYC ad agency with all the gold they plundered last push. ;)

Silver Beard likes this.
  14. In that case I should talk to the higher command and ask for a raise! To the RFF HQ!
    [​IMG]

Tex likes this.
  15. Tex

Tex Commodore

Bad Piggies is saving our gold to do a Superbowl commercial. We've now plundered $12 billion total.
    Based on inflation rates of Superbowl airtime I figure we need 10x that amount.

16. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Just yesterday, I dropped 8 SRs and took out...

3x L12 Cannons
    2x L9 Towers
    1x L3 Bunker
    1x L9 mortar
    ...and a L9 Collector.

Basically, the entire right side of that base's defenses went away. What would have required a full army to beat only required 2/3 of an army. That's worth it, in my book.

They won't work on every base, but I carry 8 of them every time, purely because of results like the above. Until you get used to their glide slope, drop one, and DO NOT move your finger. See where he lands, If it's a good spot, let them fly, spreading them out a bit. If not, Oh well, adjust and drop another. Repeat until you find a good spot, or run out of raiders :)

# Johnny Doe # and Silver Beard like this.
  17. @Kelani awesome result! Yes, I have recently increased my load out of SR's to 8. My new trick has been to get a brute in the area ahead of the drop. As soon as the SR's start to land, I use the brute to attract fire. It has had awesome results... But, as you say, have to have the right base to attack.

Cheers, Silver Beard (aka Silver Sideburns...I shave my beard about 10 days ago ;-) )

Kawika, Darke Shadow and Kelani like this.
  18. Kawika

Kawika Crew

Nice tip SB! Need to try that. :)

I've also read somewhere that "nearly-landing" SR's attract mortar fire as well. This could help troops inside if you are without brutes. I do a couple waves of 3 SR's at slightly different positions.

19. J0ck0

J0ck0 First Mate

what PR and PH level are you attacking?

20. Bryno

Bryno Crew

Ive used them a good bit and keep six on hand in regular farm troops (maxed acad 6 on their way to 7). For PR push I don't use at all. If the defensive player lacks beach and wind direction favors. I'll drop. On average I see 2-3 structures taken out and it looks COOL. I feel like only sometimes the the SKY raider dudes make a big tactical difference, but they look great in their googles and airman attire.

P.S. HG's. Hell yeah! Got them uh cooking!