Sky raiders the most underrated pirates??!

Discussion in 'Battle Strategies' started by Captain Kasra, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Hi guys!
    I noticed among lots of players profile that raiders are The most shunned, personally i can't use them as strategically as they are meant to be. I heard that they will fly in direction of the island wind so they're kinda unpredictable.

Anyone can help with how to use them properly?

they seem to have a good potential if used right

2. Bear

Bear Commodore

I love them, and use them almost every raid. They are one of the strongest pirates in the game.

3. Bear

Bear Commodore

Basically find the wind direction. Clear out any tall buildings with gunners, and try to drop the raiders where their rain of fire skill will shoot at a mortar or ground pounder. Raiders shoot at the tallest buildings first.

4. Burnz

Burnz Captain

I love sky raiders, they can make some quick work of some buildings. I don't know if you have noticed a lot of people make anti-fly zones where you can't launch your SR's from a place where they will get into the base. Always at the bottom-left corner of an island, so you have to adapt and launch them from somewhere else.

Tip- I'm playing on an iPad Air for the most part and they start flying about 3/4s of an inch or 2 cm above the point from where you put your finger. They don't start out where you place the tip of your finger.

5. Ian

Ian Commodore

They are a great asset to have when attacking bases up to around 500PR; after that, members learn to align/structure their bases to the prevailing wind rendering the Raiders useless. Their has been recent talk that Midoki will introduce 'changing wind directions' defeating those bases with long windward beaches, thus enabling the Sky Raider again.

Tiger Claw likes this.
  6. They are really a tricky unit, even a simple lvl 4 and 5 storage can stop their fly, i even saw bases within 100-200 PR that have their mortars in a setting which you can't attack them via Skyraiders, It should have a little more manouvre ability, changing wind direction would be a great upgrade

7. Bear

Bear Commodore

I use them even on islands where they can't fly into the base. If you time it right. You can let them fly into the sea, and swim back just as you drop a bunch of guns. Then the high health of the raiders keep the WD locked on the gunners.

8. Bear

Bear Commodore

I used raiders successfully into the 600's. But I've never made it to the 700's to try higher.

Ian likes this.
  9. Skye

Skye Commodore

They are extremely useful if used properly. Most bases nowadays cover against basic sky assaults, but if you can clear side buildings first, sometimes you can send in sky raiders afterwards to clear them out, or to at least handle any defenses that are outside the main walls. Even if they can't, if they can hit a main building, while in the sky they will clear it significantly faster than any other unit, which might help you open the way for your main force. I don't bother with them personally since they're situational, but if you're revenging a base they're nice. Also, if you can sink a ship, sometimes you can manage to fly them in over the ship wreckage, as long as you don't hit the station on the side of the ship! Ships make excellent SR blockades while they're floating, and can be hard to take down without getting inside, but if you can manage it (HG help a lot here), you can send sky raiders in completely bypassing the rest of defenses.

Ian likes this.
  10. Skye

Skye Commodore

Follow up:

They fly the direction the flags are pointing (I rotate the island so the flags point straight down, and its very clear where they will fly). The waves also move in this direction, but that can be harder to judge. PH, Flagpole, ships, lighthouse, guild hall all have flags to use as reference (maybe others too?).
    Any tall building will cause them to fall, including the flagpole decoration!

They seem to fly 9 tiles right by 12 tiles down, if the flag is pointing to the bottom right corner, which is a hypotenuse of 15 tiles, before landing, if they don't find anything else in their way first. I could be slightly wrong on those numbers, but it should be very close, and thats the size of 3 collectors wide by 4 collectors down for easy reference if you're trying to figure out where they're gonna land.

11. Finally got a grip of these fellas, Loving how they fly in and sweep everything, Thanks for the help guys

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    Ian likes this.
  12. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

13. rhorun

rhorun Crew

I love sky raiders and I have to say I have had some disasters using them but it just makes me laugh I sent some on a top secret mission and forgot to check the wind lol good job they swim well.

14. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

hahaha oh yeah that one! xD I had a big smile on my face when I created that one LOL:D:D:D

15. captaintau

captaintau Crew

I used to use them every raid and have had great success with them. I agree that they're underrated. But in recent weeks I've found more value in other pirates and my SR use has gone. I've found them useless against "corner" bases as the smart base-designer will use tall buildings and lots of empty land to force them to land short. If their altitude or distance were to change in an update I'd certainly reconsider using them.

16. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Not sure if it's still the case, but at one point, Raiders ROF was the strongest attack in the game. So yes, definitely underrated.

There's some luck needed to find good bases for using them, but I've dropped 8 and had them take out 6 defenses and 3 storages before landing. Gotta love that.

17. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

ROF, or DFA as it's now called, is or at one time was the most powerful ability.

After getting AC5 a few days ago, my first shot was at the +20 HP for Raiders. Next was DFA.

I've great luck with them, but hey, they've been an integral part of my crew since AC3.

Skye likes this.
  18. I mostly use them when I'm farming,because they always take down a GT or a cannon and sometimes even a mortar.

19. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

(Or all of the above, and a few storages, too) :)

20. Young JC

Young JC Powder Monkey

Agree with him.