Text translator

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by Paladinboyd, Mar 8, 2015.

1. I not sure if this have been brought up or planned but I mentioning it.

This game is world wide more or less and as of which not everyone speaks the same language so I thought a update which would translate the ingame messages into what language my game is set to.

E.G I write somthing in english a another player who is say german has his game set to german my message would pop up in german and vice versa I know this might be ticky but it would be worth it.

Skye and CerealKillerBowl like this.
  2. ZorroBlaster

ZorroBlaster Powder Monkey

Yes. It is hard to have a successful guild and help other players if there is a language barrier.

Also if a member has a pirate name in English characters and the typed text and game text is Cyrillic when requesting pirates, that is confusing.

3. Bou Regreg

Bou Regreg First Mate

A simple solution is to actually learn some foreign languages. ...

4. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

LOL

I'm not sure I would consider your comment a simple solution for most. leaning a second langaue is no easy task. kudo's to all those who have.

I like the idea of a built in translator, but implementation seems rather complex and resource hungry.

Anyone know how something like this might actually work?

TiGeR

5. # Johnny Doe #

# Johnny Doe # First Mate

If you're a successful guild I'm pretty sure you have a chat function outside of the game and access to google.

I would much rather the devs spend time to work on the game as opposed to listening to complaints about the translations being wrong etc and any extra strain on the game resources is to improve the game and not the chat

Bou Regreg and Tiger Claw like this.
  6. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

I like this, even though I'm bilingual.

I, as a singaporean, understand both English and Chinese, but I would still like some sorta translate button since it would take very long to translate it manually. :(

But if I'm not wrong-there's another thread on this (very old) right?

Tiger Claw likes this.
  7. Ultimate Sea Dog

By the way-if anyone wants to translate English-Chinese or vice versa, I can do it for now. :p

8. Skye

Skye Commodore

Just let us copy names and messages from guild chat to clipboard (holding down on a message should let you select it like any other text field with all the built in copy/paste functionality). Then we can go plug messages into the translation service of our choice, with almost no additional work required from Midoki. It would also let people copy/paste player names when they have members with characters that are hard to type.

So say at 1am Ultimate Sea Dog posts "check out this replay" and there's a chinese player he hit. Holding down on the message selects all text, you can copy it, paste it outside of game, and it would paste "Ultimate Sea Dog: Check out this replay. [chinese player name] ([chinese player guild]) - 1:00"

If he hit me, it would say "Ultimate Sea Dog: Check out this replay. Skye (Red Flag Fleet) - 1:00"

Then we get player name, player message, the name/guild of the opponent if the message happens to be a replay, and the timestamp. If there's no replay, it would just say "Ultimate Sea Dog: I just hit some dude! - 1:00" or something, obviously omitting the name/guild.

I also agree that default messages could probably be automatically translated with little overhead (quick text match, and replace any identical matches with the right localization string), but anything outside of the automatically filled in messages doesn't need it. I could see this being problematic though.

9. Ultimate Sea Dog

Confusing! please elaborate?

10. Skye

Skye Commodore

The idea is: hold finger on post, it selects text just like you were holding your finger on any other text box (on say a website), and then you can press the "copy" button. It should copy the name of the player, the message, and if there was a replay, the name and guild of the opponent.

You can drag the corners of the selection box if you want to select just part of it, just like in any other text box.

Then after copying, you can paste anywhere else. Need a players name? Select it and copy/paste it into whatever you're using to keep track of your members. Hit by a player or guild using foreign symbols and you want to post a rant on the forum, you can select the player and guild off of a replay. Someone posts a link to join your guild chat? Copy it from the message and paste it into your browser - now no more having to make tinyurls to make it easy to type in.