The psychology behind trolling.

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by Bear, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bear

Bear Commodore

2. TBird

TBird Captain

And the takeaway from the article:

Trolls truly enjoy making you feel bad. To quote the authors once more (because this is a truly quotable article):
    "Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others. Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!"

It is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them.

Good find @Bear

Christy and Bear like this.
  3. BILLYBARU

BILLYBARU Crew

How does trolling idiots on forum , who hopefully get ignored by everybody and they lose interest and prey on another street, game, whatever. How does that bleed over to the real game? I have been told this is one of the reasons changing your pirate name gets exponentially more costly. Really? WTF

4. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Well, for example, somebody could join a guild, be abusive to its members or generally behave badly (always request, never donate, etc), leave/be kicked, change their name, reapply/rejoin the same guild under the pretence they're a different player, do it again, rinse, repeat.

Kelani, Tiger Claw and Christy like this.
  5. BILLYBARU

BILLYBARU Crew

Rinse repeat. Glad you have a sense of humor. Well dear, what if this Troll person is Donald Trump? No sweat to cough up the big $$$ and still do what you're saying. Isn't there another way to police this so the masses don't suffer?

This is a globally enjoyed game you are part of, When people sign up can't there be information they cannot change that would help in this matter? I for the most part am on your side. Like Frankenstein this game grew massive and fast in every way. My hopes are the decision makers are listening to the loyal, yes loyal, players and are heard. Frankly, people shouldn't have choice to change their names at all.

6. I disagree, people should be able to change their name in my opinion. There is only a small amount of people who would use this feature to abuse it in a way @Lynsey [Midoki] described it. And to counter that the increase in costs is an affective way. I think they should keep the current system even-tough you now can see previous names. People who change their name often are hard to track. But no one is so crazy they keep spending 5000 gems which is about €30 to change their name.
    Name changing is a feature that has been requested many times on this forum, and now it's here. Let's not throw that out the window.

Tex likes this.
  7. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

Couldn't agree more.

The ability to see Previous Guilds and Previous names in a players profile is very effective. I myself have had to deal with forum trolls entering my own guild. Some might even respond to this particular post. With profile information comes power. An ability to screen (cough, cough -background check) for potentially bad apples.

[​IMG]

TiGeR

Tex likes this.
  8. Salty Snack

Salty Snack Captain

When I'm checking profiles of guild applicants it will often show no guild history, yet history of perk/GS activity. Also name changes are not always registering on profile. One of our guildies recently changed names and there is no record of his prior name.

9. Salty Snack

Salty Snack Captain

Yes, I'm saying changes since last update are not always recorded on profile.

10. BILLYBARU

BILLYBARU Crew

Hey so guess what? I got ejected for a week! I think there SHOULD be a little , just a little, leniency for sarrrrrcasm. It's like the shiny Red button. If you make a statement to not touch something let's say. Then you say in the same breath a remark about reverse psychology , well? Just sayin'.