Wave the white flag

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by PTO Plunderer, Apr 27, 2016.

1. PTO Plunderer

PTO Plunderer Captain

i would love to be able to "wave the white flag" upon a rumble start and start search for a new one lol

Skillzone10, Christy and 850arrr like this.
  2. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

lol, no kidding, we could have used that a couple rumbles ago.

3. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

As long as any guild that stays in the group still get full rewards, I'll go for that ;)

The problem arises, most rumbles you will have 3-4 guilds dropping out and trying again.

4. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

True and I can see it being a real problem. Though nothing takes the wind out of your sails more than when you get that notification that your guild has started a rumble, you log in....and its one of the Dead factions. Now if our little guild had more power I wouldn't mind it but being on the small side its quite lame getting hooked up with the big guns.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Fil and Pink Taco like this.
  5. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

Well, our motto is Fear the Dead, so I'm glad it works out that way. But don't get me wrong. We love a good challenge. :) I have been in a smaller guild, where this would have really helped sometimes, and saved a lot of gems.

850arrr, Fil and Pink Taco like this.
  6. PTO Plunderer

PTO Plunderer Captain

Or like now while arena and dead sails are proving "who's is bigger"...I have 8000 grog to my name, so attack away lol

7. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

@PTO Plunderer Back in the Skulls' days, I alway let anyone who asked know our start times so they could avoid us (anyone except Pirates United - always feared sneak attacks from them :p). I even still divulge that info to a few friends in other guilds (shhhh, don't tell @Fil :eek:)

Skye and Skillzone10 like this.
  8. Fil

Fil Captain

:confused:

Skye likes this.
  9. Skye

Skye Commodore

Hi Fil.
    I think he would probably welcome it, since any friend's guild trying to avoid us wouldn't be putting up a fight to begin with, and I think he's one of us that prefers a matchup where people don't just give up right away.

It is nice getting the easy win/free gems, but I also know how frustrating it is being on the other side of it. I like the idea as long as proper safeguards were in place to prevent abuse.

10. Darth Yoda

Darth Yoda First Mate

It might be a good idea, but maybe the guild would have to wait a minimum time, maybe 3 hours, before they could search for a new rumble. This would help minimise abuse.

Jonesy, peg-brain bob and awbo like this.
  11. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

12. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

It's very unlikely that we'd ever do this, as it'd be a) unfair on the other guilds in the Rumble, and b) a huge, huge amount of UI and code work. We'd also probably end up with the situation where a lot of the big and powerful guilds end up having multiple Rumbles in a row cancelled due to people taking one look and doing a runner. ;)

If we made it that the Rumble was allowed to continue with guilds having dropped out but no change to rewards, then we'd end up with an easy exploit where guilds would 'arrange' Rumbles then drop out to allow one guild to 'win' easily.

If we made it that the Rumble was allowed to continue with guilds having dropped out but nerfed the rewards, that wouldn't be fair to the remaining guilds.

If we made it that the Rumble was allowed to continue and all guilds apart from one dropped out, then that one guild would be stuck with 24 hours with no effective Rumble - some might appreciate that (easy rewards), but others like the competition.

If we made it so that the Rumble had to re-enter matchmaking in order to find another guild to fill up the spot, this would be unfair on the other guilds as they're having their Rumble start delayed. We'd also have to wipe any scores earned up until the point where the coward guild pulled out, because it wouldn't be fair on any guild entering the Rumble after that for the other guilds to have a headstart.

To be fair, it is currently possible for a Rumble to go ahead with fewer than 5 guilds (if one or more disband after the Rumble has started), but this is very, very rare, so we don't penalise the remaining guilds for it.

We are currently considering the possibility of reducing the number of guilds in a Rumble from 5 to 3, which would possibly lead to more accurate matchmaking (plus a more intimately punchy and potentially more competitive experience).

850arrr, Skye, Robin Blood and 4 others like this.
  13. John56

John56 First Mate

I also think that "nexting" your matchups until you find one that you can easily win makes for a weaker guild over time. Our Midnight Rumbles matchups with Dead guilds have always made us work harder, and imbued more of a sense of teamwork to put on our best showing, even knowing that we would most likely end the rumble in 2nd place. Our last 2 guild high scores were against Dead guilds, and were far more exciting and well fought than any of our cakewalk victories.

The tough battles make us stronger competitors, both individually and, more importantly, as a guild.