What's the best troop selection?

Discussion in 'Battle Strategies' started by Join: Clash of Clams, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Join: Clash of Clams

Join: Clash of Clams Powder Monkey

Hey all! So I just started playing 2 weeks ago and I was wondering what troops and what strategy would be best if I'm looking for loot. I'm almost maxed out ph4 I have 35 troops and they're all,lost all fully upgraded. Also at what trophy count is it best to be at to attack to get loot?
    Thank you and have fun plundering grog!

2. Bear

Bear Commodore

Not sure about troop composition at your lvl guns and buccs should be fine. More guns than buccs . I'd keep my rank below 100. Definitely just go for loot when attacking. Don't try to win. The losses keep your rank low and safe.

3. Join: Clash of Clams

OK will do thanks bear!

4. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

I will suggest:
    10 Bucs
    10 Gunners
    2 Brutes
    7 Sky Raiders (for practice)
    Sky Raiders, if dropped well, can wipe out a Bunker that is facing outwards.

5. Join: Clash of Clams

Do sky raiders always glide left to right?

6. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

Look at the flags to check the wind. Currently it is always the same way but that may change imminently.

7. Rachael

Rachael Crew

I would use less SRs than that for practice, because until you have reign of fire trained they die very fast with little damage. Raiders float with the wind direction. Look to see which way flags are blowing and the raiders will follow that.

I would use a good mix of guns/buccs and a couple brutes.

8. Skye

Skye Commodore

4-6 brutes, the rest gunners imo. Brutes are cheap, have a ton of hp, and destroy walls quick breaking an opening so gunners don't walk into the line of fire. Place them near one of the mortars, wait for the brutes to kill the mortar and punch a hole in the wall, then send in your gunners to clean up. At least 3 brutes are needed to soak up all 3 cannons from a gun tower lv 7+, or 2 brutes for both towers from a gun tower 1-6. Spread them out slightly so that only one takes the brunt of each splash damage hit.

With the right base, you might find doing two squads of 3 brutes flanking the base (to take out both mortars!) works well. Once at least one mortar is down and there is a hole in the wall, flood the opening with gunners, and they'll shred the rest of the base quickly. I don't like buccs because the range helps a lot with keeping troops out of the line of fire, and brutes will be taking most of the damage and handling melee.

9. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Actually, I find Juggs better.

10. Skye

Skye Commodore

I wasn't sure if PH4 had juggs, or if they did how trained they would be.

Juggs are better endgame at damage absorption, in general (one brute to distract is still nice though), but for farming early game, they're expensive and low-level juggs probably won't do much better than brutes at soaking up damage in terms of damage taken per tavern slot. Even end-game farming, I did still prefer brutes since they train a lot faster (less gems!) and are good enough against most bases to at least take the stores. Return on investment is critical when farming, and brutes will get you much more loot per gem (or per minute, if you wait it out), which I feel is a more important factor for that style of play. Endgame, my farming troop was 10 brutes 25 gunners, and it could get most of the loot from most of the bases, for 7 gems per attack.

End game, 3 juggs works better than 3 brutes for absorbing damage in real attacks. Skellies absorb it even better than juggs per tavern slot and do a lot more dps if you can distract mortars (one brute), but juggs are for sure the simple, low risk, easy bullet sponge.

11. 24 gunners, 1 brute, 6 sky raiders ,8 bombers, 1 witch doctor, 7 Jugs work pretty well for farming lower PRs universally speaking.