Why Should WE Have to Market Our Guilds In Order to Build Membership?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pirate Christian, May 12, 2015.

1. Pirate Christian

Pirate Christian First Mate

I am absolutely frustrated by how ridiculously difficult it is to build my guild's membership.

The Plunder Pirates Game (unlike Supercell games) does absolutely NOTHING to help promote guilds.

Rackhams Revenge, the guild I started, has existed since October of last year and until I started promoting the guild on this forum we had only a handful of people join.

By way of comparison, in Supercell's Boom Beach, the task force that I created earlier this year had no problem maxing out its membership at 50 within the first 2 days after I created it without me having to create a single post on Supercell's forums promoting the task force.

Boom Beach actually promotes my task force in the game FOR ME. If I have to kick a member out it only takes a few hours before a new member joins.

I am extremely frustrated by the fact that growing guild membership in Plunder Pirates requires me to market the guild outside of the game. Yet, there are certain perks that cannot be utilized unless 4 members fund it, yet getting those four members to join our guild was a study in loooooong suffering.

When will Midoki give us an effective a way to build our guild without having to actively market them outside of the game? Supercell has figured out how to do that, when will Midoki follow suit?

SvenGhoolie and Daddy P like this.
  2. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

Growing a guild is not difficult if done correctly. The posting of a recruiting thread on this forum is probably the least effective method. The recruiting threads mainly help the top guilds. Get creative, lots of options available to grow a guild. I can think of 4 options off the top of my head that would beat posting on this forum.

3. Pirate Christian

I'm all ears (well actually eyes since I'm reading this). I'd love to learn more effective ways at growing my guild.

But, my issue is that I shouldn't have to be doing anything to grow my guild at all. I do absolutely NOTHING to grow and maintain my Boom Beach task force yet it is ALWAYS maxed out at 50 members.

4. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

This is not Boom Beach. Different game. Different parameters. Different set of challenges. Work with what is provided to you. Good luck!

5. Floki

Floki Captain

What is the experience like for guild members do they chat?
    Are perks well funded in a blink or is it a slower thing?
    Are you looking to have a group me chat or line?
    What are your objectives?
    To build a good guild of active players here is not so easy but does require some effort.
    I have seen guilds build and disappear because of inactive captains or not well managed guilds.
    If it seems to hard to do this you would be better off being a member of an active guild!

Christy likes this.
  6. Pirate Christian

Perks are funded quickly and pirates are donated very quickly too.

Chat is generally about sharing victories or asking practical questions and there is no drama.

I'm captain and I'm very active in the guild and have been from day one.

As far as objectives, we don't have enough members to even begin thinking about rank climbing or anything like that. It is enough to have the objective of keeping our perks funded.

7. Pirate Christian

The games are different but the comparison of guilds to Boom Beach's task forces is very close.

Boom Beach actually promotes my task force for me within the game. I've never had to market my task force in order to get members.

8. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

I agree. Without global chat there is no way to get your guild out there other than forum. In DomiNations I started an alliance and it filled up in one day.

9. Floki

Floki Captain

I would be inclined to get to know members further. Our chat is 50/50 game talk and anything else.
    Plus groupme is another very full chat fest.
    Also become active here as its not just other members that read its also guests.

Christy likes this.
  10. Tex

Tex Commodore

Just curious @Pirate Christian how many crew have you been able to recruit from the forum?

Bear likes this.
  11. Fil

Fil Captain

FTFY

Floki likes this.
  12. Christy

Christy Commodore

Many here have so many multiple accounts they almost ARE a full guild. So if you have no life that's always an option But really it isn't easy to recruit a guild from scratch. It's hard work. Post a recruitment thread here, post what your guild is about and what your looking for in members. Keep the thread active (maybe get some of your other guild members to post to it as well) and you will get recruits. Best of luck. Once it gets going more and more will come. Some will tell their friends and you will eventually fill the guild.

Siren1873 and Floki like this.
  13. For me, I wouldn't even want that! I want to be in control. I prefer people who are on the forum to join me instead of random people who are just playing the game.
    That is because:
    - They are usually more experienced, and have more knowledge
    - They are more bound to the game because they are also on the forum, because they are involved

I've had no problems recruiting for the new RFF guild. But truth is of-course that we are a top guild, and i'm an experienced player.

14. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

We have a member on this forum who established himself first. He played the game, leveled up. Joined a top guild. Was active in the guild and on this forum. He went off and started his own guild. Thanks to the reputation he built for himself, he was able to create a top guild in this game. He used a few effective methods, in addition this forum, to recruit. The creative thinking that allowed him to be a quality player also provided him with methods for recruitment not usually utilized by others. There is no shortage of players looking for an active guild with knowledgeable players.

We have another member on this forum who was active in another game before coming here. Due to his reputation in the other game, he was able to bring 50+ players over from the other game to join his guilds here. All he had to do was talk about PP on global chat in the other game. Once people tried the game, PP sold itself, they were hooked lol.

Personally, I think joining an existing guild, leveling up and establishing yourself first before trying to create your own guild is the way to go for most people.

When I said I could think of a few creative methods for building a guild, none of things I mentioned above are what I was alluding to earlier. Check your forum PM, I will send you one suggestion.

Floki and roguecylon like this.
  15. Evil Rastlin

Evil Rastlin First Mate

In all games I have played GREAT guilds (alliances, etc..) are made from Forums. Just wait until the Rumbles (I guess that is what they want to call guild wars here) start! Gemmers will start moving away from social Guilds, and over to more competitive money spending Guilds. I have seen it time and time again, people that spend money get tired of not winning (and feeling they are carrying the others), and decide to take their money to where other money players are to win. Every once in awhile you will find a guild that runs not at the top but close enough to gain respect, and has a good balance of free and gemmer players (these Guilds become very hard to get into, as space and time is limited (if they break into sub g; AG I believe will become such a Guild once Rumbles have been established for a bit). All this will happen on the Forum, and people will decide the guild for them through the Forum.

Guilds and Promotion of Guilds will break down to these Society Classes:
    1. Competitive Guilds (Very Top in Ranks); Very competitive, Gemmers Only, must spend a certain dollar amount in each Rumble to be in the Guild.
    2. Hybrid Guilds (Very few in the Low top Ranks, and most Mid ranked); Competitive, allows some free players (however they must play the game A LOT to make up for NOT gemming) and mostly Gemmers (always trying to recruit more gemmers to push higher the Rumble Ranks, and demands on free players keeps becoming harder as time goes on). Over time these Guilds either become all Gemmers or all free players as they break the guilds in 1,2,3 etc.. versions of themselves (this process will repeat in the 2,3,4, etc.. guilds as they grow).
    3. Social Guilds (very few in the Mid Ranked, and most at the bottom): All Free players, most will start to hate/complain about gemmers ruining the game (forgetting that this is how Freemuim games work). They will never understand how their friends could leave them for a more competitive guild (however they do not devote the time or money in the game to be competitive). To these the game is really more about chatting & making friends then really ever playing the game.
    This post is not to ruffle any feathers, it is just how these games play out once Guild Wars, Rumbles, Battles, or what ever else the games want to call them.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Bear, Virus and Christy like this.
  16. Coochie

Coochie Powder Monkey

I completely agree Rastlin, apart from the last point. I am in a very successful guild on another freemium game (ya know the one that isn't as good as this) and there a few gemmers, people who gem a little and people who do not pay anything (or there abouts). This family has been running for almost as long as the game and yes turnover is enevitable but it's the people who make it work. We run clan wars everyday (for xp, currently on a winning streak of 8!) and have a serious war on a Friday. We are well organised, loyal and communication is brilliant. I think adding this kind of guild to your list would make it more accurate but you have it pretty much spot on.

17. Evil Rastlin

Evil Rastlin First Mate

LOL, I did say:
    "Every once in awhile you will find a guild that runs not at the top but close enough to gain respect, and has a good balance of free and gemmer players (these Guilds become very hard to get into, as space and time is limited)"

I would have put your Guild into Hybrid Guilds section (you state you do have gemmers even if just a few). You say very successful, so I would assume also that your group is in the Low top Ranks. :) Congrats BTW!!! I know how much work those Guilds are to run!

Coochie likes this.
  18. Christy

Christy Commodore

I have seen hints to this already. I think you may have nailed it.

Evil Rastlin likes this.
  19. Virus

Virus First Mate

Your comment is spot on and exactly right

20. Bear

Bear Commodore

Spot on. I don't think rumbles will make this happen too much. It depends on the rewards. But I see whatever midoki implements as it's full on war having this full effect.