Why would a software company not fix a flaw in their software?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Super-Nor, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

Rumble matching is my issue. So let us ponder the subject line question. Rumble matching is outrageously flawed and I think we all know that. Top 10 rumbling guilds should not compete with anyone in a magnitude lower level.

Here are my guesses. Add your own.

We will not fix the problem because we are making more money not fixing the problem.
    We will not fix the problem because we do not know how to fix the problem.
    We will not fix the problem because we are busy making new stuff that will take focus away from the
    problem.
    If we fix the problem, we will lose customers.
    If we fix the problem then the buzz around the problem will end and therefor chatter about our product. All publicity is good publicity.
    What problem? Duh.
    What kind of loser would even care? Why are we talking about this? Where is my donut?
    Ads are where the money is, dude.
    All whales must die, we just need a way to find new whales. Let's concentrate on that!
    People are still playing that game? Wow, yesterday man. We are working on the next yet another tile/slot/whatever game.
    We already have so few people playing this game, let's not bugger away those pennies. My Land Rover ain't fuelin' itself.
    Code Monkey #2: Why do I even care as long as there is donuts in the basket? (being code moneky #2, I can see the point)

I am watching my long time players leave, over and over, and it is always after a crud rumble match. Midoki gave guilds a way to compete then made it competitive only for an elite few willing to buy wins. What a country!? (Yakov Smirnoff)

New players? Enjoy your rise to our level, then choke on it. Watch your ant farm grow and be destroyed.

2. Fil

Fil Captain

Maybe they are hoping Brexit will fix it

3. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Actually, new players will NEVER be stuck in this situation. You know why? By the time they reach PH9, PH10's out, by the time PH10's done, PH11's out... sigh. Maybe Midoki can just get that stupid rumble matchup fixed...

NB: Once, when I was in our sister guild, AMERICANxRANGER, which is mostly below PH8, we SOMEHOW got matched up with RFF. Needless to say, we didn't finish to get G&G.

Spongee likes this.
  4. Odog-ethan

Odog-ethan Crew

Curious to know what you would consider a fair matchup? I understand sometimes it's obvious their is a diffrent level of guilds but do you think if only the top 10 rumble guilds faced each other every day in a rumble that wouldn't also drive away players? Would u want matchups based off rumble average? because that can be easily manipulated too. Or maybe just wait days for a match that is a really equal matchup? I can see room for improvements in matching no doubt about it. But solutions instead of complaints would seem to be a better way going about it. As for long time players leaving that happens in top guilds also that win almost every rumble just the cycle of the game IMO.

Intimidator, Spongee, Mobotts and 2 others like this.
  5. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

I was trying to be a little humorous with my grumpiness.

What is a fair match? I am not sure, but it seems we can all describe what is not a fair match.

We are equally disappointed when we are matched with very low level guilds as we are when we are matched with very high level guilds. Both situations give us a less active and less enjoyable rumble, and likely less profitable to Midoki.

Maybe the guild rumble leaderboard could be used. If it shows a number of days past and an average rumble amount the ranking could be based on 10 above ranked and 10 below ranked. Those numbers are arbitrary of course.

As far as people manipulating the system, I guess that will always happen.

Maybe Midoki has a fair competition (not necessarily rumbles) already designed and ready to roll out and I hope someone spills the news soon.

Spongee likes this.
  6. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

The more restrictive you become in the matching parameters, the longer the matching takes. I remember a great many complaining on this forum about matching taking too long, so they eased the matching parameters and that seemed to quiet most of the griping. Make half the people happy, the other half will complain. Past history and complaints has taught Midoki it is better not to change something, unless it is broke. Granted, there is room for improvement in rumble matching and I am sure it is constantly looked at. The issue is, almost every suggestion made by members on this forum creates more problems then they solve. Several of us have dissected most of the suggestions in a private chat group (several guild leaders were privy to those conversations), almost every suggestion offered on this forum had flaws when you took the time to really delve into potential problems or manipulations by guilds. There was only one suggestion offered that seem to offer improvement without the pitfalls.

7. Ultimate Sea Dog

I feel that rumbles should be based on a new guild parameter (average rumble score for the past x rumbles) in addition to PH level and other existing match parameters. So that:
    1. Rumbles will still have fairly fast matchups
    2. slacker guilds get matched with guilds with similar scores
    3. Guilds like MMTX matchup against each other:p

Spongee and Urdrlaev like this.
  8. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

How many competitive or not so competitive guilds will create a new guild daily just to get an easy match. Or if new guilds must have x number of rumbles under their belt, just have your farming or resting guild push the button daily. Once you get enough losing rumbles under your belt, have the heavy hitters jump over and take an easy win. If you think for a second people won't manipulate such a matching system, you only have to look at past history in regards to behavior of some. You mention MMTX, they don't try to win every rumble now anyways, they take it easy some rumbles. Even if players don't jump, you'll still have guilds farm one rumble and then try the next. You might say it would still be an improvement, but I'm sure a month after the new matching system starts, people will be right back here complaining. I am sure there are many other ways to manipulate such a matching system. You mentioned the top guilds being matched against each other. How long do you think until they establish an hierarchy among themselves and stop trying. It already happens, but not enough to stop them from pushing the rumble button hoping for an easier match next time. Then you have the second best guild in the game complaining because they can never win because they are always matched against the best guild in the game. Same for the third, fourth and fifth best. You would be penalizing the active players (as Skye pointed out, and active guild can score 300k in a rumble without one single person using gems, and that is enough to win most rumbles). Those active guilds that never gem, but still win majority of their rUmbles would be greatly penalized for their member activity. Not to mention, you would also be killing off the whales who pay to win. Not sure if that would be the best business model to follow.

So, in addition to increasing the wait time to match, which everyone complained about before. You will be penalizing the guilds with the most active players who never gem by matching them against the gemming guilds and rewarding the less active guilds with the part time players by matching them against other inactive guilds. The game should not reward players for inactivity, it should reward the daily players who are active or the players who pay to play.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  9. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

I guess the root cause is not enough players and guilds rumbling to make the matching process better and timely.

I will stop ranting now and hope for something new to replace rumbling

and in the meantime hope for good matchups, but prepare my group for sitting rumbles out when they are poor matches.

Ian and Spongee like this.
  10. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

Basically, that is what it comes down to, not enough guilds participating in rumbles. Everyone in the game agrees there needs to be changes made to rumbles, just finding the solution to appease the majority of players is the problem. Midoki has said they are aware of the concerns and are looking at the issue. I am still hopeful a fix will be rolled out in the coming months. The problem with any fix, is once they make the change, they can't go back or they will have a huge backlash on their hands. I imagine the Economy guy also needs to make sure any fixes does not disrupt the game economy. Personally, I think the game economy could use an infusion of currency and mats. But that is just me.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Tessa Rose, Ian and Super-Nor like this.
  11. HornyQuokka

HornyQuokka Captain

I decided to stop participating in rumbles(but not because of match ups) 9 month ago, besides during Thunderstruck Event, and surprise, i still live and can proceed in the game.

Rumbles are no fun anymore? Then stop doing it. But even if you don t rumble to win, you can earn some FREE!!! easy BP. But if it hurts too much not coming 1st, well...:rolleyes:

Scarlet Fever, Ian and Spongee like this.
  12. Riot Girl

Riot Girl Powder Monkey

I would think it's almost impossible to match given that a guild can have a noob lv 1 player with a lv 10000 player... .let guilds close down after they have many active players at a certain level and than you can only join at a certain lv. But they're still is a wide sweep in lv. It's just impossible to do. Fairly.

13. Ultimate Sea Dog

AMERICAN RANGER will be having a continuous rumble to coincide with thunderstruck. Yesterday I put up 7k points, with many putting up even more. However, we were in 3rd place. Why? We had to deal with whales. UGGGH

14. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

Our first score in the continuous rumble was higher than normal due to many pushing for event tokens. Maybe the mad gem rush will be over in a couple more days.

15. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

I'd like to see one change to rumbles - the ability to choose a rumble with or without gems.
    I know it won't happen because it restricts the earning potential of Midoki, so we'll continue to have rumble winners determined by the almighty dollar instead of skill.

16. McQ

McQ Captain

Anyone else a little tired by the same old rhetoric that gemmers have no skill? Yes there are plenty of players out there who are more quantity over quality. But gemming does not increase your ability to 3* bases. Im not saying there couldnt be a better balance to rumbles. But the piousness of some who see gemmers as lesser players than them because they chose to play a different way is tired and lazy.

Liquidjade, Odog-ethan and Tessa Rose like this.
  17. Blueberry

Blueberry Captain

Completely agree @McQ I have always gemmed recruitment because being a mum to 3 young children I choose to fit my battles in when they are asleep. Does that mean I lack skill because I choose to gem my battles at a time convenient to me? I like to rumble at a fairly high rank to make my pp ratio as high as possible.

I would also like to say that I was part of a very competitive rumble a few days ago and had to help put big scores on, sure I gemmed recruits but don't think I spent more than I would on a decent bottle of wine but had fantastic entertainment and cameraderie with my guild that went far beyond the cost of a bottle of wine. I also managed to average around 800pp per battle, which over 80 attacks I was pretty proud of for skill of attack and not simply bought with gems.

18. Odog-ethan

Odog-ethan Crew

Skill is skill no matter if you spend 12 cents to speed recruit them or wait 50 minutes and get your troops for free. The proof is in the attack not how they got the troops.

19. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

Skill is shown in battle, no argument. It's the people that have to battle 50 times or more a rumble to make the same as you guys/girls in 20 battles that disguise their lack of talent by gemming that I find strange. Gem, don't gem, do whatever floats your boat. If you want to spend hundreds of gems to win 35 go right ahead.

20. Tessa Rose

Tessa Rose First Mate

I Am a gemmer.....sounds a bit like an addict doesn't it. The facts are, to win in a tough rumble you will gem or you will lose. If your preference is to not gem, then by all means don't. Support of the game is part of this. Many gemmers are top players and high scorers, others that choose to gem may be practicing to become top scorers. It's a personal choice that should be respected by each individual player.