You fixed WD! Now please fix WD.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WhiteHotBeard, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Phew, you did it! You fixed what was perhaps one of the most bizarre/broken bugs in the game: an invincible character!

You listened to the complaints, put in the late hours, and hammered this bug down--thank you!

Now we have to finish the task.

WD's pathing is, to say the least, drunk. The decisions he makes are ludicrous.

Beyond that, he has several mechanics that I refuse to believe are working as intended.

Not the least of which is: if you wait to deploy him after some of your pirates are dead, he will go to the nearest pile of bones and just sit there even if there are like (2) skulls and just a few more feet over are (15) skulls. (He's all: "Hey look! Hey there is a skull here! Hey! I can resurrect this skull RIGHT HERE! HEY LOOK! DO IT! PUSH THE BUTTOOOOONN!").

Close second is the fact that sometimes skulls do not get resurrected when he is over a big group (e.g., a group of gunners die, he stands over them and only SOME of their bones start dancing--consequently only some get resurrected).

Finally, although most of us are glad he is no longer immortal can you split the difference between invincibility and being sliced in half by a stiff breeze?

I propose:
    1. He lay off the grog and start walking in straight lines whenever possible (and that he makes up his mind on where he is going and doesn't break off half-way there).
    2. He stays with the biggest group (especially if that is where you place him) so as to be the most effective.
    3. Related to #2, if there is a large pile of bones he should go there (if they are close to where you placed him) and should skip over (meaning: not stop on) smaller piles to get there.
    4. His shield should shield him for 2x or 3x the amount in order to make him more viable.

Thank you,
    WHB

Maverick, 850arrr, bucket and 4 others like this.
  2. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

LOL. I thought the same thing. Couldn't wait until WD immortality was removed then was shaken back to reality about how bad the WD ai is. Hopefully the immortality wasn't to throw us off the scent. o_O

850arrr likes this.
  3. Darth Yoda

Darth Yoda First Mate

Without wanting to add to the group of 'wingers', I do indeed wish to add my voice to the group calling for the return of the original AI for the WD. If I deploy my WD with a group of gunners and HG's I do so for a reason. I don't expect him to rush sideways towards a group of Juggs on the other side of the island, leaving my intended pirates completely bare of coverage. what's worse is he doesn't even survive the mad-long rush to be with his man crush targets, dying in a volley of bunker and cannon fire along the way.

I have been playing this game since it's worldwide release last year, and love the concept. but Midoki are slowly but surely killing the golden goose. They are ham-fisted at best, and I'm sad to say bordering on incompetent at worst for how they handle new releases. If I made the mistakes in my company that they make with this game, I would have been fired months ago. They have destroyed much of my enjoyment of this product, and all it will take is a new game to grab me and I'll be gone for good (and god knows I am looking).

Midoki, listen to your customers before it is too late.

4. SaK

SaK First Mate

They are not listening to anybody, they are doing whatever they want
    Actually, they are introducing more bugs by adding more features...but they are not fixing the old ones...

Unlike coc, where they are so professional...Midoki makes me feel ignorant and uneducated bunch of people even after it's been one year...

U r right, u I would have done some mistake I would have been fired months ago in other companies.

850arrr and Darth Yoda like this.
  5. Skye

Skye Commodore

1: this is an issue not just with the WD, many troops take roundabout paths to get where they should. I agree that this should be fixed, but it should be fixed for all troops simultaneously.
    2: I agree that he should stay with his current group, and pick the larger group if the group he's with splits, rather than the closest group (when he sometimes follows 2-3 slightly closer troops while 10+ walk the other way), but if you know what he's going to do, you can plan around it, and if you know how he works, you know what he's going to do. This isn't extremely easy to program without adding a ton of computation but it can be done.
    3: I'd agree to giving him a bit more leniency on leaving a small pile of bones for a larger one - he could find the spot that has the most bones possible. But then you run into an issue of "how far is he willing to walk to resurrect one additional corpse", and getting the right balance that makes everyone happy will be tough. Some people will be ok with him walking through fire to resurrect an extra 6 skeletons, some people would rather him not walk all the way across the base to resurrect just a couple extra bodies. Finding the right balance here is difficult.
    4: He's already incredibly viable. If his shield protected him more than 1x, half the defenses would do 0 damage to him. I don't believe it currently protects him at all unless you have a second one covering him, and thats a good thing - if you're a defender, you want to be able to kill off the healer, since its almost impossible to defend while he's still alive. Defenders have to have a way to win too! If he is too hard to kill, it will be impossible to win a defense. Also, he lives plenty long as is. As long as you don't let a bunch of mortar shells go off near him he will live fine. Adjust your strategy so a different troop is drawing splash damage away from him, and I promise he will start living considerably longer. My WD almost never die, even without invincibility. If he's dying faster than he's worth it, either your attack strategy doesn't work with him and you should use those slots on something else, or you should use a different strategy where he doesn't die as easy. This is a user error. Learn to work with what you've got. The game is already extremely imbalanced in favor of the attacker, and it certainly doesn't need to be made any easier, as anyone with any skill will effortlessly beat any base they fight.

6. in b4: ur bad L2P

oops, not fast enough.

But seriously though:
    I don't know about the coding difficulty but just have him walk to the biggest pile--if someone doesn't want to risk going "all the way across the base to resurrect just a couple extra bodies" then they can push his button before hand. If it isn't up yet then that's the way the battle turned out. Likewise, if they have him deployed already such that he will miss the "medium pile that is currently safe" on his way to the "big pile that is under range" then that's just the way the battle turned out.

I forgot/was not aware that his shield doesn't shield him. That might be a good place to start.

To your last point: I DO have a hard time with a lot of the bases (but I agree that PP tends to favor the attacker--which I like). I haven't played for quite a while (half-a-year/year) so I'm rusty. But I wonder what metric you are using? I have lvl 19 gunners (maxed for my level--PH7) and most bases between 200 - 350 that I see are at least PH7 or higher with maxed defenses. I am POSITIVE I don't always have the best strats. However, I don't necessarily subscribed to the "effortlessly beat any base" belief you have. That is probably true for the top players, definitely not true for the bottom, and probably not true for the middle.

7. Skye

Skye Commodore

The effortlessly beating any base goes for max level troops vs a max level ph9 base (endgame play). Make any serious attack at max level, and if you don't walk away with at least 1*, you did something horribly wrong.

Maybe its different for lower level, but at endgame, its virtually impossible to get a defensive victory.

8. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

There's lots wrong with the WD, one of the most annoying things is the actual way he moves, he zig-zags in weird ways, most of the time I think he's purposefully avoiding my dead pirates haha, he will walk towards them & then zig off in a different direction while all the others go in a straight line. They need to just switch back to the old AI, it wasn't perfect but it's miles ahead of where he is now, WD is going to end up the very same way the replays are, never right. Because he is now back to doing the exact same thing to begin with, the very reason they tweaked his AI, he is leaving bigger groups to join 2 or 3 pirates. It's laughable.

SaK, 850arrr and Darth Yoda like this.
  9. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

All I know is the prior wd ai worked just fine. Sucked ever since the change. At the very least they could make him stand back a bit from his man crushes.

10. That John lee

11. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Yes yes and more YES!!! I have lost count to how many threads and posts are asking for his AI to be fixed. On the other hand I can count on one hand how many people here like him the way he is.....2, yes 2 people like him as is and everyone else, including my entire guild think he's garbage. Good god this is getting old, please listen to the masses and FIX the AI, please I beg you Midoki (I'm also getting tired of my avatar ;))

Bl00dBaTh and Daddy P like this.
  12. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

From PH5/6+, it's possible to lose 19 defences?! I was attacking maxed-mortar people when I was still PH5, but now, I can effortlessly deal with L9 mortars and a GP. And I HAVE AC5 UNMAXED TROOPS.

Skye likes this.
  13. I may be alone on this, but I think they nerfed him too much. He dies super fast now.

850arrr likes this.
  14. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

For me he's the exact way he was pre invisibility, as in he dies right off the bat because he longer hangs back from the action, he goes right into the thick of it getting his ass killed. The original AI was loads better in this respect.

awbo likes this.
  15. Maybe his invincibility spoiled me. I will have to relearn how to use him more effectively. He seems to work well with Annabelle Levaux though.

16. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

I am super spoiled as well. How does he interact with Annabelle? I have yet to try that combo.

17. She seems to hang out with him a lot and stay healthy. I've only had her die in battle twice.

850arrr likes this.
  18. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Hmmm, good tip, I'll give that try.

19. not everyone can be a god

20. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

What? I am confused.