A Call to Civility - - Let's Reclaim This Forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daddy P, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

There have been a number of posts/threads the last couple of days that have been very difficult to read. Civility seems to be lost. This has been a great forum to date, and I, for one, want it to stay that way. This is a call to arms, a call to everyone who likes this forum, to rally and reclaim it. In order to do so, we all need to adhere to a common belief in respect and decency. We all disagree with others at times, and that is perfectly fine. It's the venom that needs to be suppressed.

We have all heard the mantra, "Don't feed the trolls." I see this posted many times, and yet the trolls keep getting fatter. I know it's hard not to respond, especially when you or someone else has been disrespected, but that is exactly what the troll thrives on. Tit-for-tat gets you only one thing--TNT. And I don't mean in the vein of Jimmie Walker.
    [​IMG]

So, can we all agree, even when we disagree, to be respectful to each other? And when a troll appears, IGNORE THEM! And if you feel compelled to respond to a troll, perhaps just one respectful reply and then end it? Is that too much to ask? And please don't turn this thread into a personal bash against anyone.

I am not immune to this appeal. Regretfully, I have taken the bait on occasion and hated myself for it afterwards. So don't think I am just projecting this appeal externally.

I get that this is a public forum, and with that come the good and the bad. And I'm all for freedom of expression. But in order for this forum to remain useful and a fun place to be, it needs to remain civil.

SO, WILL YOU HELP RECLAIM THIS FORUM?

[EDIT: Just wanted to note that the vast majority of users on this forum are great, and most posts have remained civil. I've just noticed a sharp uptick in venom lately, which prompted this post.]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. one time

one time Powder Monkey

I agree. When I came to forums it was to learn a little and see more about this game I enjoy. There were lots willing to help or just point you in the right direction. Lately it just seems more hostile. With others comming to the forum looking for the same as me, they will be turned off or afraid to post because of this.

Tikigirl, Smelly_Vile, Floki and 3 others like this.
  3. AngryBeard

AngryBeard Community Manager

@Lynsey [Midoki] and me will rule this forum with fierce justice!

The ban hammer is ready!

[​IMG]

4. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

BTW, this will help a lot if you feel the urge to respond to nonsense . . .

[​IMG]
    (Yes, I'm waiting for the trolls to say "Ignore Daddy P." :rolleyes:)

5. Black-ish Beard

Black-ish Beard Captain

I had not noticed that before. I'll start using it immediately!

Floki and Christy like this.
  6. WatchTower

WatchTower Powder Monkey

I agree with the call for civility. Part of polite behavior is not posting excessively. A minority here beleive their opinion is always required. It's boorish & immature behavior that frequently leads to strife.

.Lord M€G/\T|2ON. likes this.
  7. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Hopefully that wasn't directed at me. :eek:;)

8. WatchTower

WatchTower Powder Monkey

More of a general comment. I thank many players here as they are active & have added useful content and strive to maintain a positive attitude. It's just that in discussion of decorum silence has value. Sometimes people post to vent or express their perspective. Sometimes a new person wants to hear hear their voice without feedback or critical response. Sure, it's a public forum but that doesn't require comment as often as some see fit. I appreciate your post topic & response.

9. Troll

Troll Powder Monkey

:eek: Trolls need love too :confused:

10. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Maybe if they're able to troll in an endearing/funny way. But otherwise, all they need is a bath, and a swift kick in their leathery arse.

Tikigirl likes this.
  11. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Okay, I want to know who started an account named "Troll" just to post here? I see this account was just created today. I suspect @Floki. :D:p

Sigrid likes this.
  12. Troll

Troll Powder Monkey

Feed me ..... me want green popcorn.... feed me bacon covered donuts....me hungry

Floki, Darke Shadow, Christy and 2 others like this.
  13. Black-ish Beard

Black-ish Beard Captain

Might have to set u to ignore.
    Just on principle o_O

Daddy P likes this.
  14. Troll

Troll Powder Monkey

@Blackish Beard. I already set you to ignore...so I didn't see your message to me anyways :D

Being who I am, I am feeling the need to do some trolling....

Join my guild.... Hungry Trolls... All other guilds are worthless :cool:

Black-ish Beard likes this.
  15. Troll

Troll Powder Monkey

Wonder how many actually did a search and see if there was a guild named Hungry Trolls lol

16. Black-ish Beard

Black-ish Beard Captain

What?
    Who?
    Huh?
    :D

17. you need a
    Mr. troll.

18. Maybe Habitat for Humanity could build a nice bridge for our trolls (that's where they live!...well, I suspect a few guilds MAY provide shelter) and they'd be happier and less cranky. :p

I recall a certain post pleading for helpful suggestions if you reply in a thread.

19. Floki

Floki Captain

I dont mind banter call me names no issues but when someone says something and its a barbed deeply offensive comment to denigrate a member I want to sharpen my axe and the Bizzark fire..that red mist descends....No member should be the subject of personal abuse and the instigators should be given no warning and be executed er er I mean banned on the spot!

There are 2 that I hope are no longer with us and Valhalla has firmly slammed the door on their un-respective faces.....(See what I did there)

Darke Shadow and Tex like this.
  20. Smelly_Vile

Smelly_Vile First Mate

Ignore trolls and be respectful to other Forum members? Count me in! :D

I like how "only the worthy can wield the (ban) hammer" :D