A regional chat based on the player location

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by karlcheong, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Dang I didn't even hit that island, and if I did I pulled my troops out before I gave her a 1 star,got the booty I mean loot and ran;).

Captain Hakjka and Christy like this.
  2. Christy

Christy Commodore

Well I guess you didn't pull out fast enough o_O

Kelani and .Lord M€G/\T|2ON. like this.
  3. Omg I didn't even see this post if it wasn't for @Gangrene Beard hitting a alert on this thread, your bad christy :p.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    Christy and Captain Hakjka like this.
  4. Captain Hakjka

Captain Hakjka First Mate

-1 from me, no global or regional chat please

Gangrene Beard likes this.
  5. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

lol yeah...this thread totally didn't spiral out of control.

So! Regional chat!

Captain Hakjka likes this.
  6. It was a conceptual art performance on how regional chat could be bad .;)

7. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Yeah, basically I summed it up. There's gonna be no Global chat, so I doubt regional chat will happen either. Has all the same problems of global chat, but is worse because now the predators know who to target that's near them. Bad, bad idea.

8. Captain Hakjka

Love the art performance, i thought it was a comedy one though so now confused :)

9. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

I like global chat. The mute button is very important. It seems CoC is grouped by nation so it's not so invasive. I would not like to join in a city or state specific chat. There are many good things about global chat to offset the bad. For one, you have someone to chat with while your guild members actually have a life. You also get new perspectives and can recruit to your guild. I recognize the immaturity in the CoC chat rooms is horrendous, but, again, that's what the mute button is for. And if you don't like global chat, you don't have to click that dang button. o_O

10. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Well, since global chat's been declared a no-go, it's moot anyway :)

I gotta admit, I find your defense of his chat interesting. Didn't I read in a post that you're a lawyer with 5 kids? :D Since the primary reason for not adding this feature is increased liability due to the presence of minors, what's your opinion on that issue? I've researched it, but it seems to be a pretty gray area, especially given the fact that Midoki is in the UK, and Rovio is in Finland.

11. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

I've not actually researched it (AND NOTHING HEREIN SHOULD BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE :D), but consider how many games have chat functions that minors play. Admittedly, some of them have mature ratings, but there are thousands of games out there that minors play with chat functions. Heck, minors are all over social media too. I guess one way companies protect themselves is to require people to enter their birthdays before playing (of course minors lie about their age). I don't remember whether I had to enter my age when I loaded CoC, but I don't think I did. My kids play a lot of games with chat, like Roblox, CoC and Madden Mobile. Heck PP has chat too, just not global. Why is global so much riskier than a guild chat? I've been in some nasty CoC clans, which is why I typically gravitate to the Christian clans because I know they will be clean and mature. One easy way to address it is to require the gamer to enter his or her birthday in order to unlock any chat function. If they lie, that's on them (course sticking liability to a minor is tricky). But I really don't see the difference between global chat and guild chat as far as protecting minors. If minors are the concern, you should have no chat at all.

12. Christy

Christy Commodore

13. Captain Hakjka

I agree, for minors no chat - i actually would vote for global chat for minors out of any chat function cause if one had to be picked. For the simple reason that at least any abuse should be picked up by other adults on line and moderators.

The issue with global chat is bullying and swearing from what i seen on other games. I'm not a fan of it, but you don't have to press the button to join so if others want it why not?

Guild chat is likely much more risky for minor abuse would be my guess with the limited guild size.

My kids too young atm so I've not experienced their views of moderating versus fun.

Christy likes this.