Anyone else noticed a massive performance hit on iOS 9?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by c00ni, Sep 17, 2015.

1. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

Update:
    After 12 hours of testing it seems today's iOS 9.1 isn't slowing down on my iPhone 6S.
    On 9.0.2 I was still getting occasional dramatic slow downs of the UI.

Upgraded my iPhone 6 this morning to iOS 9.0.0, frame rate has taken a massive hit. I'm talking down to maybe 10fps during late full tavern deployed battles, but even scrolling is noticeably framey in UI elements.
    When the lag hits it's not constant. It will randomly run at a buttery smooth frame rate for a while then slow right down again when you say enter the Fort and look around. Sometimes you can exit the Fort and re-enter it and it's perfectly smooth again.

This is with all "running" apps terminated and background app refresh disabled.

Not running in the new low power mode.

A hard reboot seems to resolve it
    but after "normal" usage of other apps, PP starts to run slowly again, even after terminating all other apps.

iOS 9.0.1 does not make a difference.
    iOS 9.0.2 also does not make a difference.

I have tried on a *clean restored* iPhone 6 without restoring the backup and only installing PP fresh from the App Store. It slows down in exactly the same way after having launched a bunch of the stock apps.

The problem is identical on an iPhone 6+ and on an iPad Mini 2.

The problem still exists on the new iPhone 6S (everything is much smoother but you can still notice it slow down).

Anyone share this experience?

Here is a video captured from an iPhone 6. The bottom is laggy, the top is after a reboot.
    View in 720p60 or 1080p60 to really see the difference.

Here is a video captured from a new iPhone 6S. Again, the bottom is laggy and the top is actually shot immediately after exiting the Voodoo Hut and re-entering it.
    View in 720p60 or 1080p60 to really see the difference.

Another video, again captured off an iPhone 6S, clearly showing how the lag isn't constant and sometimes exiting a window and reopening it "fixes" the lag.
    Watch the jerky scrolling and chest opening at a snail's pace first, then an identical interaction immediately after re-opening the Silo working perfectly. This laggy Silo doesn't always happen, and I haven't figured out exactly how to reproduce it but it happens reasonably frequently.
    (Watch in 720p60 to see exactly what I mean but the lag here is so bad 60fps isn't even necessary)

I keep posting UI videos because I feel it's much easier to notice the lag with UI elements. The lag also occurs in battle and in replays.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Barbed and Tiger Claw like this.
  2. # Johnny Doe #

# Johnny Doe # First Mate

Nope. Because your post is enough to make me not update it.

I never update to new OS until they get the bugs out. You are just their beta tester @c00ni

Bou Regreg, Tex and Tiger Claw like this.
  3. Ian

Ian Commodore

NOOOOOOO..... Don't tell me this now.... I just hit the 'INSTALL" button on my iPad.... :eek:

Tiger Claw likes this.
  4. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

Well no one else has confirmed yet...

5. Ian

Ian Commodore

Too late now.... will report tomorrow my experiences..

Tiger Claw likes this.
  6. rhorun

rhorun Crew

Lol argh my phone is updating now, think I will wait to do my iPad

7. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

:eek: Saved by @c00ni

Thank you, thank you and THANK YOU. I have two devices I use and this would have turned my PP world upside down.

TiGeR

Ian likes this.
  8. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

LOL

Sorry for laughing, but now your a beta tester as well. :D

TiGeR

Ian likes this.
  9. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

Confirmed by one other in Aussie, on an iPad Air 2

10. SaK

SaK First Mate

I never update as soon a s it's released because my iPad is jail broken:D
    I don't wanna lose the power of cydia..hihi

Edit:Oh,btw...the thread should be moved to off topics

11. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

This thread is directly related to the game, Plunder Pirates. I don't know how much more on topic it could be.

HornyQuokka and porrig like this.
  12. grahvity

grahvity Crew

Thanks for making this thread.

I've already updated my iPhone 6 but not my iPad Air 2. It's difficult for me to tell on the small iPhone screen if there is much of a difference. There does seem to be a judder when scrolling across the island back-and-forth and zoomed out on the way. Possible confirmation bias, however.

13. Ian

Ian Commodore

OK.. 1st impressions under iOS9: Yes is it visually slower.. but nothing to complain about, still very much playable.. Will probably not even notice it by tomorrow afternoon..

14. porrig

porrig Crew

Thanks for the heads up. I got burned by installing iOS8 too early last time (lost my network signal) so will hold off on this until after the weekend at least.

15. rhorun

rhorun Crew

Can't say I noticed a difference in my 6 plus game ran ok for me etc

16. C.Calamity

C.Calamity Crew

iPad 3. Seen no degradation after upgrading to iOS 9. Rather, I've seen much improved launch times for PP.

17. rhorun

rhorun Crew

Hope my iPad 2 will be ok not updated it yet

18. captaintau

captaintau Crew

I'll order a 6s on payday so that'll prevent the problem

19. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

Yea I always wait a week to upgrade my iOS, because of a horrible update a few years ago.

20. Tex

Tex Commodore

Thanks for the heads up @c00ni
    Please let us know when it's safe to upgrade.