bad design

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by LionbI4, May 7, 2015.

1. LionbI4

LionbI4 Powder Monkey

1. Fonts are awful. Most text is not readable. Eyes are exploding when trying to read something.
    2. I don't see my buildings. Zoom feature is not working until tutorial is complete. Most starters can quit because they don't see their buildings and units in tutorial mode.
    3. Close/Cancel/No buttons should be red.
    4. All buttons are too small (except Market button)
    5. I see something similar to this: https://monosnap.com/image/AIJ6C7Dxma7jTcsXpwQcq0OOXgZ7hG/ open this on 24" monitor. My phone is Samsung galaxy s3.
    6. After sending my units to an island - they have to return back to my base. I'm not going to play without my units return back to base. If you are going to clone other games - analyze which things should be cloned and which things should be changed.
    7. Allow to zoom-in even more to see single unit. If you do not allow this - pre-render all units in 2d spritesheets. No sense to make the game in 3d if you do not allow users to watch all nice features in 3d. Use cinematics on a characters with zoom-in rotating motion to make it look perfect. All your brilliant 3d features are just killing experience of new players (everything is small and hard to identify).

This is first feedback which I can share with you just by playing the game for 10 minutes. Can't recommend this game to anyone I know.
    I will try the game after update.

2. Floki

Floki Captain

Wow 1st post welcome to the board its always good to get another ray of sunshine..:D

Christy likes this.
  3. Hi @LionbI4
    This forum is here to help players, meet other captains and give feedback to the Midoki team.
    And although we welcome any feedback here it is wise to think over your first post.

We all have things that we dislike or would love to see differently, but joining the forum and just putting your "this is bad, make it better or I will leave" list isn't going to change anything.
    Instead I would like to recommend a positive way of giving feedback.
    This is not only more fun to read for the devs but also for us, other forum users.

CerealKillerBowl, Christy and Ian like this.
  4. LionbI4

LionbI4 Powder Monkey

I'm not in. So I'm not able to leave.
    Many users just do not play the game and devs have no idea why.
    Most important opinion of players, who stopped to play the game.
    Because usually forums are used by someone, who is already playing. If they play - this usually means they are already happy with most things.

Also, most people leave based on their first impression (there will no be other impressions if they leave).
    So first impression is most important.

As a game developer I find these feedback most useful, because people who do not enjoy the game in first 2 minutes usually do not bother to write any feedback.

5. No clue what you are trying to say with this.
    Months ago we had 5 million users and with the release of Andriod this has only grown bigger. And you can't talk for the the developers. You don't know who they are and what they think
    Most important? No. People who play the game are most important because you want them to keep playing. Not get people back who stopped playing, because they will leave again. So thats wasting your time.
    You can learn from people who quit, but in my opinion only those who played the game more then 10 minutes.
    Take a look at the improvement section, it's full of great suggestions and good feedback. We are always looking forward to new things.
    And the first impression usually is: Damn this looks so much better as Clash of Clans and Boom Beach.
    As a game developer you need to learn how to give proper feedback. Because what you did was criticize the game by playing it for 10 minutes.
    And that's just really not how this works.

6. Floki

Floki Captain

Your so patient mr fish.....

7. Bear

Bear Commodore

Dude. I recommend you get glasses... Among other things... That screenshot, other than low lighting (which is your fault) is perfectly readable.

8. Darth Yoda

Darth Yoda First Mate

As a game developer, I am sure you would not appreciate an outsider picking up your work and making superficial negative comments without bothering to investigate it more thoroughly first.

People here respect opinions, and you are welcome to yours. However, the feedback will be dismissed by those that matter if it is given in this manner.

Stay and play longer to give it the benefit of the doubt, or follow through on your threat to leave. Your choice either way.

Good luck.

Bear likes this.
  9. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

Bye.

Skye, TBird, Salty Snack and 2 others like this.
  10. bobhan

bobhan Powder Monkey

@LionbI4 mate, i am pretty sure you will appreaciate this game if you try to programme a game almost like plunder pirate. To satisfy every player's needs isnt an easy job.

Let say, you build a device for one week, and someone see and check your device for 10 min, and complain on every aspect of your device, what would you feel?

I would agree with @The Fish Eyed Pirate about the first impression of this game, it is much better than coc n bb.

Finally, you gotta learn how to appreaciate someone's hardwork. Btw, if you havent contact midoki through the game, please do so and explain your problem. Cheers lets plunder.

The Fish Eyed Pirate likes this.
  11. Tex

Tex Commodore

All I gotta say is @LionbI4 if you are such an awesome game developer.
    Why not show us your best game creation and let us judge it?

12. BB-8

BB-8 First Mate

@Lionbl4 you can't judge a game because you are a newbie and you haven't unlocked many of the features yet. Give it more than just 10 mins. Great games are born over night. The creators of this game are constantly improving it and making it better each and every update. Is it perfect no, but behind it is an amazing community of players. Get into a guild and give it a chance.

13. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Powder Monkey

While I may not agree with his assessment, if I were a developer I might appreciate his perspective on why some players quit playing after 2 minutes. It's up to the Devs to determine if there is any validity to his suggestions.

14. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

True - we value the opinions of dedicated players, but we also want to know if there's anything that's preventing players from dismissing the game out of hand.

While there's points made here that I don't agree with, I do agree that the font and some elements of the UI can be problematic for players on smaller devices (I actually mentioned it in my interview! :p). It's a lovely font, very atmospheric and piratey, but it can be at expense of legibility. It may be changed in the future.

Skye, Becker Redbeard and Bear like this.
  15. Floki

Floki Captain

It is a game for bigger devises it loses itself on an iphone 4 but is luxurious on larger devises..

Ian and awbo like this.
  16. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

I find game play ok on note 4 but chat is pretty difficult, on smaller device be very tough.

Would be nice if could zoom it like island or alternatively if you turn to portrait it separates into full screen chat. Mail apps do something kind of similar losing sidebar when you change orientation.

17. Resarf

Resarf Captain

I agree the feedback is valid from his point of view, and its just feedback they can take or dismiss.

I agree with

1. Fonts are awful. Most text is not readable.
    6. After sending my units to an island - they have to return back to my base.

I play on an iPhone 6 Plus, and the chat is hard to read its so small its crazy.

I believe the game lacks a couple of things on the realism scale.

1. Troops should return, if you send pirates out to steal stuff and they don't return why, and how are the resources getting home.
    2. I start with one ship yet can explore and attack at the same time, this isn't obvious but also not realistic
    3. I can landlock my ship, also again ruins the realism.
    4. I have a second ship which can carry more troops, yet I cant put my own troops on it.

All these decisions aren't based on reality and while its a game, reality = immersion. I think they could all be easily addressed. How?

1. Troops should return, if you send pirates out to steal stuff and they don't return why, and how are the resources getting home.
    >> any remaining troops should return. We can imagine there is a captain (me) driving the boat so he is bringing back what was collected even if everyone died

2. I start with one ship yet can explore and attack at the same time, this isn't obvious but also not realistic
    >> Have a second ship for exploring, it can just be a representation or acknowledgement that its a different ship

3. I can landlock my ship, also again ruins the realism.
    >> don't allow landlocks, it would break up a lot of common island designs

4. I have a second ship which can carry more troops, yet I cant put my own troops on it.
    >> allow me to donate to my own guild ship, I mean why not.

Raptelan likes this.
  18. I play on my iPhone 4 and sometimes my iPad and I have absolutely no problem reading anything. So maybe you should consider glasses to go with your 6 plus.

Can you also please say you will stop playing until they return after an attack? (Did I just say that out loud?)

And personally I don't think this game is about realism, it's a cartoon-ish game, we have voodoo and other weird stuff. I say no to realsim

CerealKillerBowl and Christy like this.
  19. BB-8

BB-8 First Mate

What???? This game isn't real? I thought I was a real pirate but now all my hopes and dreams are dashed to bits The Fish Eyed Pirate!

Christy and peg-brain bob like this.
  20. TheAdmin

TheAdmin Crew

Just curious... do you develop for Android or iOS? ..or both? what languages are you familiar with?

And lastly, do bootloops scare you? (that's a legitimate question)