bad design

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by LionbI4, May 7, 2015.

1. Sorry my mate, whiskey is real tho. Have some to cure your pain ;)

Mr. has been active since the 8th of May. I think he really meant that part about him leaving if his troops wouldn't return..

2. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

PP not REAL ?!?
    Next you'll be telling me that Monkey Island doesn't exist or that LeChuck isn't actually a ghost/undead/zombie/etc. (Apologies to Ron Gilbert & Lucasfilm on behalf of the poor deprived folk who can't appreciate these references).

p.s. this is not intended as mutiny Cap'n - don't wish to be tarred & feathered ✌

The Fish Eyed Pirate and Christy like this.
  3. Christy

Christy Commodore

Sooooo your saying my Witch Doctors that resurrect the dead are not real :eek: the horror :eek: I didn't realize it was just a game :( way to kill my dream @The Fish Eyed Pirate o_O

4. Resarf

Resarf Captain

RFF perhaps you could go offer constructive feedback rather than troll with comments. Great example your captains are setting. The @TBird I remembered wouldn't have allowed this.

5. Here enjoy a good read on how to give constructive feedback: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/giving-constructive-feedback.html
    Because this thread has 0% of constructive feedback. The only thing I see here is: this is bad, fix this because reasons.
    To quote the original thread starter
    o_O

Also you don't have to repeat it 3 times you can't read the text because of the font. We got that the first time.

Christy and Tex like this.
  6. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

There is absolutely zero benefit to bashing a new user for having some criticisms of the game. At least he came here and shared his honest perspective. This is valuable and I see no reason to put him down for it. Many of us have simply grown accustomed to things we found annoying in the beginning, so it is nice to consider such input.

I will admit, I am resistant to change - I've grown accustomed to the defense properties of a landlocked ships and everything else. But in order to think constructively, and for the benefit of new members rather than just seasoned ones, thinking objectively is required. With that said...

I like the font. But I play on an iPad mini. Maybe something different could be used by default on smaller devices, but I think there should simply be a setting with a few different choices. This game could use more settings!

Agreed. It's not like many survive anyways unless you are lower rank than you should be and overdeploying. Sometimes when my attack starts to go badly, I surrender to conserve troops, and I think this is better than just sending all my troops on a suicide run to try to scrap a little more loot. Such a change would encourage being more cautious about deploys.

I don't want another ship. I would rather only send out the ship for exploring when I am done battling for the day. But this would require rebalancing to make exploring easier to get done with less time devoted to it. I think this part is okay as it is. In any case, there should be only one pirate ship.

Agreed, though I would miss it personally. I would be happy to give it up if it were enforced for everyone to level the playing field. The guild ship is especially ridiculous when landlocked, as there's barely a patch of water in one corner, and the ship appears to be floating in dirt.

Agreed, and allow a guild captain to fund all perks to 100%. Especially since the game makes pairing guilds with active captains with active players so difficult, and if you are starting up a new guild you shouldn't be forced to suffer while trying to get your first few recruits, or the first few with a particular perk built.

Clash pirate likes this.
  7. Christy

Christy Commodore

Awwwww sweetie no need to bash your ex captain because you were removed from the guild. Now now. We are all grown ups here. Feel free to get @TBird 's opinion OR anyone else's opinion in ANY of our guilds and see what they think of how their captains are doing their job ? Or how they are representing the guild. I would gladly welcome ANY and ALL criticism from any CURRENT members. The opinion of a bitter member that was kicked holds zero value to me or I am sure to any of the current members of Red Flag Fleet. Enjoy the rest of your week @Resarf :)

The Fish Eyed Pirate likes this.
  8. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Thinking about this a little more, I do think something needs done here, because I have encountered numerous people when I started my guild, who had been playing for a long time and had no idea that you could both explore and battle at the same time. Others didn't know that you could wait until after an attack to call the ship back to preserve troops - they had just been throwing them all away every time. I am not sure what the "right" answer is to that - I feel there should be only a single pirate ship (the weaponless guild ship is okay), but this is a definite cause of confusion for a lot of users.

Even more confusing is that the Academy and Voodoo Hut support multiple trainings at the same time. I think this is logical and *should* be the case, but a *lot* of users have no idea that it is possible and are shocked and infuriated at the wasted time when they find out that it is. This really should be made more obvious. Perhaps simply not removing the "Train" button above the building while a training is in progress (unless all pirates are training) would solve this to a large degree.

Lastly, I have seen numerous users who have been playing a *long* time, and gotten up to PH8 with an attack count in the double-digits. Our most extreme case was an active member who joined with well over 200 days of playing, PH8, Academy 6, many defenses maxed, and 13 total attacks ever. We tried to encourage him to start attacking more but he was convinced that he needed to upgrade his base more first before he could. As he had upgraded his defenses and worked on his layout over time, he was sitting in the high 400's / low 500's most of the time, and because he had negligible attack experience, any attacks he attempted were discouraging and he didn't want to try. After several weeks of trying to encourage him, we had to boot him out as his attacks were only up to 17. We have had probably 5 other members join with PH7 or PH8 and attack numbers below 100 - some have started working on attacks and getting their skills developed, and some haven't made the cut. The game could really benefit from somehow encouraging everyone to attack more, since it is an offense-centric game and progress is much faster for those who do.

Any other guild captains care to share any frustrations or lack of understanding you have heard from new members?

9. BB-8

BB-8 First Mate

@Raptelan I don't think it is ever 100% idiot proof. I think having the train button on top all the time will make for a more cluttered interface when you also have to add times as well. Maybe they can include upgrading multiple troops at once as part of the tutorial in the future. As far as other tips and tricks, I think is the responsibility of the guilds to help educate their players as much as possible. There is also a lot of information here in the forum to read up on. But as far as teaching attacks, share attacks as much as possible (especially once they actually fix the replay issue). Explain what you were doing and your thought process of the attack. Schedule the teaching sessions so people are in the guild chat to learn. Put that in your MOTD section so people know when it's happening to have max participation. The encouragement to attack is farming resources for your upgrades, you just need to help teach your members so they know. Not everyone will be active or want to be as active as everyone in your guild. In the end, people will be as active as they want to be. You can't really force people to become more active. I will say being a part of a more active guild does help encourage more active members.

10. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Good advice - I have a very active leaderboard guild where we do exactly this day in and day out, so no worries there. :) My concern is more for the vast majority of players who are not so lucky to find their way into such a guild. It is particularly a problem for lower-level users as many guilds increase their membership requirements as they grow (us included), and the knowledge isn't really there in guilds consisting of mainly lower-level members. In addition, *many* lower-level users can't even find a guild of active members *at all* to join, since most of the suggested guilds are inactive.

IMHO while a big guild can be a fun and great experience for many, ideally it should not be required to make the same degree of progress in the game, assuming individual motivation is there.

11. awbo

awbo Captain

When I first started playing I didn't want to attack people either. I had never played a game like this before so was completely new to this kind of battling/plundering concept and had no idea where to begin. Also I hated getting attacked myself so, you know, do unto others... I thought it wasn't fair to take other people's stuff. So at first I only did revenges. The transition to full-blooded pirate was dramatically accelerated when I joined my current guild. I started realising it was okay to botch up a raid. What's the worst that can happen right? Also every base I attacked I was fearful of getting revenges, but over time I've realised that rarely happens either. Getting the right troop mix was a guessing game at first too, so perhaps you can suggest a 'standard' crew for raids at certain tavern levels. By sticking to the same troops you get to know how they behave and get more confident with your strategy. There are so many troops to choose from and some require specific tactics and skills, so sticking to basic troops can help. Lastly, I think it's just coming to realise these things for yourself (with the help of your guild of course) and becoming more confident. It's hard to share raids that you stuff up because it's embarrassing when others in your guild are (in your eyes) awesome. So share your own raids that don't go so well - show others you're not perfect either, and when those players share a raid they've done, make sure your first comment is positive, i.e. "The position of your deployed troops was spot on" then add the part about what they can do better. A couple of weeks of this and no change, I would kick, you've done all you can :)

12. TBird

TBird Captain

Sorry Dale, been too busy to be bad cop on the forum (or is that good cop)....
    Too busy with real world to be on here much.
    And since I can only attack morning and night from collectors, not really into the game anymore.
    Need more grog before I can get interested again.

Everyone go to your happy place, it's fantastic weather outside.

Resarf likes this.