Fleet

Discussion in 'Battle Improvements' started by Paladinboyd, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Giving the name of the game I'm am surpise to see no ships being use to attack bases. I think you could use your ship to pick off turrets and building before sending in the troops it would make attack higher level players easier.

While on the subject how about the means to build ships or captuer ships in battle and use them (Like in the navy did back in the 1700's and 1800's ) these ships will function like units and would attack the base.

Edward Kenway and Christy like this.
  2. Also I had a idea for a new turret the death ray which was real it used the sun to destory hostile ships it never worked as far as I know but I like the idea of a small mirror on a stick cooking ships that attack your base.

3. Christy

Christy Commodore

I like the idea of using ships in an attack

Paladinboyd likes this.
  4. I glad you like it hopefully others will like it to the point it' mades real.

Christy likes this.
  5. Christy

Christy Commodore

Agreed. So many good ideas floating around. I wouldn't want to be the game developer :eek:

6. Yep it must be annoying trying to find the best idea but at least they are asking us insetad of doing what they think is good it makes the games a game for all.

7. Black-ish Beard

Black-ish Beard Captain

It's been done
    [​IMG]

8. Hmm if so it could mean it starting to become popular hopfully this will lead it becoming real.

Black-ish Beard likes this.
  9. Actually that's why there are masterlists, these lists feature the best and most pressing improvements. These list are maintained by members of this forum and filled with ideas of the community.

The idea of the ship assisting in an attack has been mentioned quite some times and is therefore part of the list, you can check the list for all battle improvements here.
    Your idea is listed under: #5 Abilities

The idea of your defense weapon, although a little less futuristic name would be preferred in my opinion, would be a new and good extradition to the idea.

10. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Actually, the idea comes from Archimedes and was supposed to be able to burn ships, although the more likely scenario is that it acted as a deterrent. Many have tried to recreate the death ray using modern mirrors and some have even tried using the polished metal mirrors Archimedes had, but none could make a device that burned wood instantly. Cool concept for a defensive building but for a balancing against ship attacks I see a long range cannon as being more in tune with the theme of the game. :)

Tikigirl likes this.
  11. The Death ray term is a bit out there the weapon I meant was made by Archimedes (I hope spell check is right) who came up with the idea of using mirrors to aim the sun at ships to set them on fire. Since we are in sunny (Curret update aside) islands it would have worked nicely using the sun to crisp up attackers or maybe with upgrades use them to make walls of fire to defend your island. Hmm I think the name should be "Heat ray" as it fits and it's the weapon from war of the worlds book which makes the archimedes theory more possible.

Kelani likes this.
  12. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

You're right about all of that, and I'd love to see it. :)

Only one problem: President Obama asked Mythbusters to test this, and they determined it wouldn't work using the technology of the time. :( Ah well, that never stopped a game dev before. :)

Paladinboyd likes this.
  13. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Non-tv personalities tried and were able to get it to set sails ablaze

Kelani likes this.
  14. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Glad to hear that. The MB experiment bothered me, because it seemed way understaffed for what'd be a military exercise.

15. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

More to the point, they kept using flat mirrors, which Archimedes would have used a series of polished parabolic copper reflectors and when pointed at the ships, they would have burst into flames. What most people fail to realize is that tar was used as a sealant for these wooden ships and since it has a low flame point, the tar would have been what caught fire.

Kelani likes this.
  16. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Hmm. I thought the MB/Obama revisit with the schoolkids as mock soldiers also used polished copper parabolics? I just remember there weren't that many of them (100-300?), and they didn't really look all that polished. Great point about the tar/pitch. I think MB may have overlooked that part.

17. Ture if we can have rapture we can have any thing. And mythbusters nevered used a magnifying glass.

Ooo just had a idea there is a UFO on the map we can just borrow the tech from there. Why? aliens turmp logic every time.

18. If they used magnifying glass and it and point it at something like the gunpowder or tar it might work or you could point it at the captain and blind him

19. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

The problem with magnifying glasses is getting the light to the reduced focal point where heat would be generated greatest. After a certain distance the light would begin to diffuse again and the magnifying glass idea wouldn't work. Also, a magnifying glass works on the principles of refraction which means that the sunlight would have to be directly behind the magnifying glass and low enough in the sky to be focused towards an enemy. Unfortunately, when the sun is low in the sky, the energy produced by sunlight is much weaker than when it's high in the sky, so reflection from a parabolic mirror would work better.

and both of those still require a sunny day :)

20. Black-ish Beard

Black-ish Beard Captain

I think magnifying lenses should only be used for their original purpose.

Burning ants