**Ground/road decoration - idea**

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by Edward Kenway, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

Ok maybe some people will find this useless but I think it would be an awesome idea to add since decorating your island is a big part of the game, at least for me since it make it more personal.

What if we could ''draw'' and add roads to the island?
    What if instead of just a green color (space between the buildings) and the usual sand, we could add different kind of roads?

Maybe ''cobblestone'', ''skull/bone road'' perhaps xD, ''dirt road'', different ''kinds of grass'' and/or maybe just a different type of a ''sand'' road?

It would look so awesome to have roads around the buildings, plzzzz think about this developers:D:D

@Chris [Midoki]
    @Googoogal [Midoki]

I know they are not symmetrical, and they are terribly photoshopped. But the point of these pictures is just to illustrate what I mean
    ;)

! ALSO NOTE !
    These roads cannot be used to make your island larger as you can with decorations.
    Otherswise people would go crazy and have huuuge islands lol.
    You can only use the roads on sand.
    So, to clarify. The roads can only be placed on sand, and will not make your island larger as the decorations do.

ORIGINAL PIC
    [​IMG]

BRIDGE ROAD
    [​IMG]

STONE ROAD
    [​IMG]

DIRT ROAD
    [​IMG]

COBBLESTONE
    (this one looks terrible i know, but I just wanted to make it quick to just show some variations)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. We need something in the game to do while waiting through the infernally long build times. Decorating would add a fun artistic element to the game. Excellent suggestion.

3. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

Interesting idea...trying to visualize it.

4. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

I see what you're trying to suggest. I like the idea, but I think it should be like walls where it's something that needs to be bought and upgraded, then with that we should have an inventory where items decorations can be stored without penalty.

5. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

The Fish Eyed Pirate likes this.
  6. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

Thought*

The Fish Eyed Pirate likes this.
  7. non native American speaker

8. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Not much of an excuse. Native American speakers aren't much better :) I don't spoke gooder than you!

9. MrLapo

MrLapo Powder Monkey

I guess roads will be objects, and you still need builders to lay down objects...

So...

Maybe replacing "road" objects by "milestone" objects.
    You build two milestones, and a road is automatically drawn between them, turning around other buildings if needed (pathfinder techniques).

If you move a milestone (builders not needed for that) the road is redrawn.
    Move buildings to let the pathfinder find different ways.

If the player build more than two milestones, the game connect the closest milestones, and finally draw a loop (a triangle, a square, and so on...).

Evolution applied to milestones gives different types of road.

PlunderPirate likes this.
  10. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

hmm.. I could try and photoshop an image so that I can show you guys how I thought it would look:D

11. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

ok this doesn't looks so good. But you will get the idea I'm going for.

12. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

I tried to photoshop some images so that you get an idea of what I was thinking. They are really badly photoshop, but u get the idea.

13. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

Not too bad looking, but defensively (at least theorycrafting) wouldn't that speed up the attacking troops?

14. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

what you mean by speed up troops? Its like they are running on regular sand, but instead there is another texture.

15. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

So the point of the roads is...decoration?
    Not seeing the great importance of this...

16. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

Yep, just thinking out loud...I was thinking like in the old Civ games. Dirt, to roads, etc.. sped up troops. If it is strictly for looks, then you are right, looks awesome!

17. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

It is just meant for decoration. Nothing else.:D

18. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

Its just for decoration, just like the trees, hammocks and so on. Now, the images are badly photoshopped and all that. BUt imagine having nice roads in your village and imagine how it would look with the shadows as well. (my game doesn't have shadows)

PlunderPirate likes this.
  19. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

Meh, good job photoshopping, not bad at all. If it is pure decoration then it works for me!