Heavy gunners and priestesses. Their purpose?

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by Lygmoo, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Lygmoo

Lygmoo Powder Monkey

I want to write about the most disappointing thing for me and it deals with some high-level units. I'm talking about heavy gunners and the priestess. I tried hard to earn enough rum to upgrade the academy to hire heavy gunners and when I finally did that I realised that t heavy gunners are just cool looking and that's all they have. One heavy gunner takes five tavern places so it means that I have a choice to hire five regular gunners or one heavy gunner. But one heavy gunner doesn't cost five regular gunner. Heavy gunner makes five shots and at the first level he said damage is only around 20 like the starting damage of the regular gunners.
    In shot, why 5 gunners are better than 1 heavy gunner:
    1) 5 gunners cost 1500 rum while heavy one cost around 10000.
    2) 5 gunners have around 400-450 hp in total while the heavy one has around 250. Yes, the heavy one will stand longer under the mortar shots, but canons take him down very fast while 5 gunners, on the contrary, will more likely take the cannons down
    3) 5 gunners will make 10 shots in the time that the heavy gunner will make only 5

Something should be done about that heavy gunners. They are cool guys but I can't get any benefit out of using them. And that's a real disappointment.

The most simple solvation will be just to reduce the tavern seats they take to 2 or 3 and reduce the cost in rum, because the high cost of troops reduces the profit of plunders dramatically and we have to hire less expensive troops to get some profit of the plunders! So what is the purpose of heavy gunners then?

And the last question is about the priestesses. What is the purpose of the priestess? They have a powerful attack but they attack very slowly! The bomberman is much more powerful because he has good damage and he attacks faster and he's more powerful de facto.

So what is the purpose of these 2 presumably best units in the game? They are expensive and die before they do some significant damage.

Please tell me, because I got very disappointed when finally maxed the voodoo house and the academy :(

2. SaK

SaK First Mate

i agree, some very high level troops like heavy guners or high level bomber are very costly but do not do that much damage tht they should suppose to do. 50 gunners vs. 15 heavy gunners...i would use just those gunners and can win easily.

So why should i spend so much money on high troops???

Edward Kenway likes this.
  3. donkeykilla

donkeykilla First Mate

They serve one purpose...they give me a place to use grog when the rest of the classroom is full. Sad but true.

Salty Snack and SaK like this.
  4. Lygmoo

Lygmoo Powder Monkey

By the way, I forgot about the skeletons. They are also too expensive to be used. 2000 grog for one. Isn't it too much for units that supposed to be hired at amount of somewhere between 10-20?

5. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

For me, the expense isn't so much of an issue as the ridiculous hire times.

6. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

Yea I think the Skellywags are useless, only slightly better than Buccs but cost so much more, they're pointless really, I know I'll never use them.

7. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

I agree with this. I think the heavy gunners are completely useless.

8. Tex

Tex Commodore

Great job on the witch doctor though! I just love to get my WD in action especially "second chances". But I agree that all other voo-doo troops are pointless and would like to see it fixed. Get tired of using gunners but they are so effective in cost and damage.

Floki and # Johnny Doe # like this.
  9. Bear

Bear Commodore

Yeah. Skellies, heavy gunner. Useless. I don't have the priestess yet so Idk about her.

10. Neckbeard

Neckbeard Crew

I actually like the heavy gunner. I deploy three along with my wave of tanks. They reduce the damage to the tanks by taking out defenses on other side of the wall, and sometimes help with attacking the wall. They usually survive until the end of the battle, while if I were to try to deploy regular gunners at that point they will die to mortar splash before they can do any damage. I also like their run-n-gun...how they will shoot while moving, instead of having to stand still like the gunners do.

Bear and # Johnny Doe # like this.
  11. You listed its upsides well ,the only way id use them is just like that and run &gun is upside for sure.

12. Neckbeard

Neckbeard Crew

What is the recruit cost of a fully maxed heavy? Currently mine are level 10 and cost 20k, and it looks like they'll be at least 40k once the upgrades are completed? I'm thinking I should leave them where they are, at least until I don't have anything else to spend grog on.

(shameless plug here for my related thread about the recruit cost of upgraded units: http://www.midoki.com/forum/index.p...grades-the-problem-and-a-fix.1796/#post-18167)

.Lord M€G/\T|2ON. likes this.
  13. Smelly_Vile

Smelly_Vile First Mate

Here's my personal suggestions for some of the medium or advanced pirate classes:

Thief: I have no idea how to best utilize their Special Ability, to me the fact that it gets cancelled too easily (attacking buildings, swimming or enemy fire) makes it kinda pointless. But removing those limits on that Special might make it too OP. I'd just leave her Special as it is now and hopefully someone can advise me on how to get the most out it.

Heavy Gunner: maybe reduce their recruitment cost/time and tavern slot consumption a little? Neckbeard made a good point above about Heavy's utility.

Skellywag: They get a "1.5-seconds reduction to stun time" perk at late VD3. Not too shabby, if only they have the same Special Ability as the Buccs... And imagine if WD's spell revive dead Skellywags as themselves rather than the normal skeletons (resurrect as Skelly themselves might be too OP though).

Priestess: Would be nice if her magic bolts can travel further, and that she moves + attacks faster than she does now.

P.S. Would love to know/find out how useful Sky Raiders are once sufficiently upgraded.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  14. SaK

SaK First Mate

[QUOTE="Smelly_Vile, post: 18949, member: 2209"

Thief: removing those limits on that Special might make it too OP. I'd just leave her Special as it is now [/QUOTE]
    Didn't get your point well how to make her OP.... Can you explain that a bit more, so that i can use her better?

15. Smelly_Vile

Smelly_Vile First Mate

I was saying "imagine if Theif's Special gets tweeked so that it does not deactivate by running into water, enemy fire and storage buildings." But then I think this may be too OP.

In that case, I just want to know how to use her Special as it is in the game now.

16. SaK

SaK First Mate

Ah ok...Ty

17. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I suggested simply making the Thief remain invisible for 5-10 seconds after she starts hacking at a wall/collector/storage. That'd make her much more useful, without providing too much advantage. She'd still be splattered when she became visible, but would actually steal *something* first.

Bear likes this.
  18. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

I don't use them so can you explain the ability? When you activate it she can't be targeted until she hits water or any building that isn't a collector or storage?

19. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Any time after the Thief hits land, you trigger it, and she goes invisible. She'll stay that way for a period of time (30-60 seconds?), The ability is cancelled when she hits water, is hit by any defense (usually a nearby mortar shot), or the really annoying one that's not mentioned in the game: once she attacks something.

So basically, here's how it plays out every time: You drop her off, cloak her, she runs to a Storage (or a wall if it's blocking her path), and the instant she swipes at it, she uncloaks, and is immediately splattered by the nearest defense(s). Thieves have some good uses, but that skill is just pointless.

Bl00dBaTh likes this.
  20. Floki

Floki Captain

Gunners do a better job try using gunners in bunches of say 4