Is the Witch Doctor a good shipmate?

Discussion in 'Exploration Strategies' started by Daddy P, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Bear

Bear Commodore

Yeah, but we have no idea how sea battles are calculated. So it may work

2. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Yes, that's how it works on land. I'm guessing the same behavior applies at sea also. But, I have a boat with nowhere left to go, so I'm going to test it, just to be thorough :)

3. Until Kelani's idling about shows some results, I'll leave my WD at the shores. He's too expensive to be hanging off the railing with a green face... :confused:

Kelani likes this.
  4. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Hey, my idling did get results! :) One WD = 40% fewer troops eaten by a Fish :) Just gonna idle more, and see if any more interesting results appear. :)

Daddy P, porrig and Captain Harlock like this.
  5. porrig

porrig Crew

So after reading this post I've put a Witch Doctor on my last two voyages, and both have been eaten by 4* big fish plus I've lost lots of other troops. :( He's currently 3 days off being trained with The Guardian, so I'm not going to bother anymore, but will try again once this latest training is complete.

6. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Sounds like you sent too few troops in a L3 or L4 boat. If you want, I'll see if I can help, Just tell me what you sent on that voyage.

What was the monster, exactly ( 4* Big or 4* Bigger fish?)
    What level ship do you have?
    How many of which troop types did you send?
    What level are those troops?
    Which explore skills do they have?

7. porrig

porrig Crew

Thanks Kelani. It was a 4* Big Fish both times I lost my Witch Doctor.

I sent 4 Brutes, 4 Juggs, and the rest a mix of Buccs and Gunners (more Buccs than Gunners) plus the WD. My ship is level 5 and all slots were filled.

My Brute is level 15, including the Ahab's Apprentice skill. My Jugg is level 7 including the Serpent Slayer. Bucc is 12 and Gunner is 18, both with the exploration skills trained.

Witch Doctor is level 9, currently in training for The Guardian.

Kelani likes this.
  8. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Ack, I'm sorry. I misunderstood your original post. You were saying you just lost your witch doctor (and other troops), not that you lost your ship, correct? I hope so, because your crew is very similar to the one I've always used. :)

That's good info about the WD. It makes sense that he can be eaten, just seems that he may be less likely to die than other troops.

9. porrig

porrig Crew

Yeah, I still won the battle, just seems that I lose the same number of troops plus the very expensive WD. 2 days to go on Guardian then I'll try again! Cheers for your help.

10. A 1 star pirate ship just killed one level 7 brute and a level 10 Witch Docter. Total cost: 54.000 grog. What did I get? 250 gold.. I'm not sending out anymore WD's in the future, that's for sure..

Kelani likes this.
  11. porrig

porrig Crew

I sent a WD out with 8 Brutes, 1 Santa and the rest gunners to kill a 4* big fish. The WD died in that one, so I've not sent one out since.

12. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

FIsh, c'mon man.. What are you doing picking on on those 1-Star Pirate ships? :D I just sail around them :)

13. He killed my fishy friends.. Had to get back to him, the basterd

Kelani likes this.
  14. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

15. Salty Snack

Salty Snack Captain

I only send brutes and gunners out on the boat. Cheap and fast hiring.

16. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Yeah I'm not saying its always the right decision but it was an open question. May help lower level players more; I remember having trouble beating that first level 4 ghost ship. :eek:

17. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I don't understand what this change was supposed to have fixed. Before this 1.5.0 update came out, I was able to confirm the WD gave a 40% reduction in troop death. So, it worked...for me anyway.

18. porrig

porrig Crew

Since the update I've started putting a WD on my ship, as prior to this I wasn't convinced it made any difference (he kept dying). I'm still not convinced but then I'm only fighting the Chinese New Year ships at the moment and they're all pretty weak. My WD keeps dying too, although I think less frequently than prior to the update.

My typical ship crew is: 4 or 5 Brutes, 4 or 5 Juggs, 1 WD, 10 Gunners, the rest Buccs.

19. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Yeah, mine died also, but I saw a 40% reduction in troop death every time I sent him.

Also, that seems a pretty expensive ship crew, and you may get a Suicidal flag on some things because of the low troop count. Are you mimicking the army you use for attacks?

For everything except a 4* ghost ship or 4* serpent, I send 2 Brutes, 10 Gunners, Maybe a WD, unless I'm in a hurry, and rest bucs.
    Ghost ship, I replace 8 Bucs with 8 Raiders w/Ghost skil..
    Serpent, I replace the 2 Brutes with 2 Juggs

20. Bryno

Bryno Crew

I not only duplicate my raiding troops for ships crew, I'll stock pile a few extra WD's when resources are good. They do help and they do come back>;)