New (Old) WD AI is a joke

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bl00dBaTh, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

So with the last WD AI tweak I had to completely change my crew, I started using Skellywags, but now since they've changed the AI (yet again) the WD is unusable with the Skellies, he just won't follow the huge groups, it's unbelievable. Here are just a few SS of my last battles. Every battle is the same, I've also been forced to use a second WD.

So here is a huge group of Skellies, Bombers, 1 Priestess & a few Gunners, where does the WD go?

Right after the 1 Bomber.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And there he stands by one Bomber until he's killed by the Gun Tower.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right here's the very next battle I did, huge group of 26 Skellies & 1 Priestess, where does he go?
    [​IMG]

You got it in one, out to sea after the one Skelly swimming out to an Outhouse.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He just won't stay with groups of Skellies, it's beyond a joke, I've failed to get 100% on a load of bases because he just won't protect them, I just have no idea what Midoki are doing with this constant switching back & forth between his AI, why did they mess with it again? No one even asked them, there hasn't been a word about his AI in ages, everyone had gotten used to it, & then they go & change it again.

My real problem is the WD should be able to be used with any crew, not just a certain combo, he's unusable with Skellywags, every battle ends with him following one crew member while huge groups get slaughtered, as you can see in my SS he is choosing to go with 1 troop while leaving huge groups, that's just beyond a joke, this happens with every battle I do. It's laughable.

Raptelan and WhiteHotBeard like this.
  2. TBaggins

TBaggins First Mate

Yeah, it seemed like atleast with the last AI we had, I could usually predict when he "might" veer off with a jug. Now I have no idea when he'll wander off after 1 pirate...

On an unrelated AI note, why do bombers leave object with ~20% HP left and move on... Lol. So annoying.

Bl00dBaTh likes this.
  3. Burnz

Burnz Captain

Wow, those pictures are brutal, but similar to what happens to me. As you well know from my complaints already. Its a joke now, but one of those jokes that aren't funny.
    They throw 5 bombs then move on, yes it can be quite annoying.

Bl00dBaTh likes this.
  4. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

I have my 2WD crew (cut down since I trained by mistake the poisonous upgrades) follow 1 skelly and 1 priestess..... made me want to use a 3rd one but cost's too high...

5. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

Yea I'm just going to have to stop using Skellies, it's just not possible to protect them. It's sad that we have to stop using crew because of one troops AI. It's just so wrong.

WhiteHotBeard likes this.
  6. upvoted. Please fix this.

7. Skye

Skye Commodore

Its apparently hard for them to make the WD calculate/follow the largest group fast enough on an iphone 4s (which they still have to support unfortunately), but I'm hopeful it will see some tweaks at least.

I think it picks a target when its deployed, probably the closest one, and just follows that in most cases. I could be terribly wrong (especially when there are more than 1 WD), but that's what I seem to experience.

8. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Yep it's back to the old AI and for me I'm getting the results of old....as in I am back using just one WD thank god and he's living till the end of battles. When you dump off a group of pirates you need to deploy him right away and he will follow them, it's fantastic. He actually hangs back with gunners, it's a dream come true.

I much prefer this AI over him running head first into mortar fire like the last jugg hugging AI. My guild mates also have been getting good results with him.

Crew wise I've added a few more jugs and subtracted a few skellys and for me it works quite well.

I do agree the constant changing of the AI is a pain in the rear. However I never got used to that last AI and hated every single time I had to deploy two WD's which was damn near every battle. That last AI was sooooo bad, no one liked it except for a handful of players. My entire guild always complained about him dying within seconds, he was terrible. But now that we are back to the so called original AI he should be used accordingly.

I guess I should change my avatar :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  9. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

No, in both cases that I just posted those SS of I dropped him with a load of Bombers, he stays with them until I drop my Skellies, in both cases there he went out of his way to follow single troops, neither cases were they deployed first, the second SS he followed the second to last troop while walking clearly by a huge group of 26 Skellies to follow 1 Skelly. It makes no sense whatsoever, you just can't use the WD with large groups of Skellies, which is a complete joke.

10. Skye

Skye Commodore

then I am terribly wrong :c

11. Burnz

Burnz Captain

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think the people who do not like this new (old) AI stopped using juggs as the tank-like pirate when the WD would follow them straight into fire (I am one of them). We adapted to using skellies which was fun and usually kept the WD alive. Now that the AI is switched again, using skellies is now detrimental to our raid and we are going to have to switch back to using juggs or brutes. We shall see how well the skelly users can adapt to the new WD.

Bl00dBaTh likes this.
  12. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

Ok so we have the 800 meter sprint right here haha.

First our lovely WD has a slow start, leaders pulling away.
    [​IMG]

He's a bit behind the leaders but still running strong.
    [​IMG]

He has a bit of a senior moment & decides to follow 2 stragglers.
    [​IMG]

But luckily he changes his mind & follows the leaders.
    [​IMG]

Now he's back in this race.
    [​IMG]

Here we go, he's nearly there, race is looking good.
    [​IMG]

YES!! He takes the lead!!
    [​IMG]

And here we go, the race is over & our WD joins he's lone Gunner pal at the finish line. Well done to our winner in a hard fought race.
    [​IMG]

Haha seriously though, this battle was hilarious, as soon as he got past that first decision to not follow the two Skellies on the left of the base, he just legged it straight towards the lone Gunner at the very top, he never stopped or anything, just ran straight through the base all the way, funniest thing I've seen in the game in a long time haha. It just looked so funny to see him sprint the whole way from one side to the other without stopping. lolz:D:D

Robin Blood and M1nth like this.
  13. Becker Redbeard

Becker Redbeard First Mate

In release notes, the WD was said to revert back to original.
    By my recollection, WD would favor staying back from the center of the base, and would often chase lone gunners etc who were firing on outislands. I believe the AI is programmed to push the WD to the troop at the farthest radius from the center of the island. Back to eliminating all outislands first.

The combination of joining the largest numerical group of pirates AND pushing him out where he's behind the group is what I proposed and drew out in the "Vote on WD AI" thread.

http://forum.plunderpirates.com/ind...tor-fix-cast-your-vote.6829/page-2#post-53124

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  14. # Johnny Doe #

# Johnny Doe # First Mate

Congrats dude. I've gauged what's been happening with the WD by your avatar.
    If you're happy than I know I will be. :)

850arrr and Skye like this.
  15. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

That might work with your troop combo, try it with a Skellywag heavy crew & see how good it works, just take a look at my WD Olympic Games thread that I posted earlier, he just won't stay with Skellywags, it's very annoying as I bought Jeanne's Halloween outfit because I wanted it to boost my Skellies but it looks like I'll have to stop using them now. So I just wasted 400 Gems.

Most people will probably like the AI now, I'm just annoyed that I have to stop using Skellies, as I really liked using them.

16. TBaggins

TBaggins First Mate

I actually don't see a single positive thing about this AI. It rarely ever follows the group I want and when I use two, they almost always double up the same spot, even if it send them 30 seconds apart.

I much prefer the old AI. I use 2 brutes, 4 Juggs, 7 bombers, 8 skelly all to bust through and the rest gunners and 1 heavy to clean up. I try to send 1 WD with each group. Seems like more than half the time, the WD walks along the outer Edge of the island chasing a small group or 1-2 pirates.

17. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

That was good thread and I do agree there is room for improvement on his AI and like Skye mentioned that limitation has to do with Midoki needing to be compatible with older Apple hardware.

18. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

I still use about 20 skellys in my attacks. What I like is the fact I can deploy my juggs to suck up bullets, then deploy my bombers and one WD to bust a hole through the walls, then dump my skellys once the breach has been made. That one WD with the old AI use to be dead within seconds because he would race up with the juggs and get mowed. So I had to use two of them, one to protect my bombers and juggs and the other to protect my gunners and skellys. He now hangs back protecting the bombers until I deploy my gunners and skellys. Yes the skellys race in unprotected because the WD hangs back with the gunners but once the gunners move in i can resurrect a crap ton of skellys and bam battle is over.

I also especially like using just one WD now as in most battles he lives till the end.

19. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

:D

20. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

Yes, I don't think this AI is exactly like the old AI, they're saying it's the same but it's different. It clearly seems to favour Gunners, as every single battle I do he seeks them out, if you take a look at the thread I posted earlier you'll see him run straight past a huge group of crew, even though he was dropped with them he runs in a perfect straight line straight to 1 Gunner on the far side of the island.