Oh Dear,how bad is the New Rumble Scoring?

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by RockyT, Oct 31, 2015.

1. RockyT

RockyT Guest

Where do i start on something so bad, first up our guild has been enjoying a twice weekly Rumble since they began. We have lost a lot more than we have ever won, but hey, it has always been fun having a go.
    When we first started our adventures, it only took a few minutes to match up our opposition, now on average it takes on average 35 minutes. The new Rumble scoring is a discrimination to all the new people to the game, for example, one of my new guild members is trying hard to impress, he has a level 4 PH and has won 21 out of 23 attacks. His new Rumble scoring is 230 on the other side of the coin I have had only 3 attacks and have scored 1400
    Should we all just kick newbies and say come back when your PH is at level 9?
    Unless we get a sudden influct of new pirates who happen to have their PH at level 9, that is us done, no more Rumbles for us, sad days.
    Maybe my First Mate was correct, he said the last update was to benefit the gemmers, after all they pay the wages.

Becker Redbeard likes this.
  2. Booty isle

Booty isle Captain

Unfortunately your friend at the low level has not invested the time into the game like a ph 9 player has and doesn't get the same respect from Midoki from a rumble standpoint. From the surface it looks bad. But I assure you the people who have invested the time in this game, don't care if he has battled thirty times. He has not worked harder to get where he is than a ph9 player has worked to get where they are. Which is why he actually may not be right for your (obviously more advanced guild who likes to be competitive) guild. Rumble match ups are based on ph level. He will be competitive in a guild of similar players. It's unfortunate but a necessity.

3. RockyT

RockyT Guest

I agree on principal about higher scoring for players such as myself who have spent a lot of time building up their bases. I am PH9 and have reached a rating over 500 what I definitely do not agree with is the unfair scoring system for the lower ranked players. Should a player with a PH 4 really have to fight 40 times just to match my score after having only 1 attack? There are a few in our guild who gem the recruitment time, but unless they are at PH9 is is pointless doing so. Not sure at this present time if we will be Rumbling again, probably like a high % of guilds. If this happens the Rumbles will eventually stop as it will take so long to match up teams. It would be interesting to see stats on total guild rumbles before the update and two weeks after. Just my opinion, but I reckon it will be a big drop. Thanks for your response Booty Isle.

4. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

I would have to believe Midoki has set the new scoring system based on prior abuses by lower level players. Just because your PH4 is playing honest and fair, does not mean there were not others out there manipulating the system to take advantage of the previous scoring. Midoki came up with a system they felt was fair for the majority of players. With that said and based on Midoki's past history, they are erring on the side of caution. Which means they realize players will find it more palatable to stomach an increase in PH4 Plunder Points at a later date should it become necessary, as opposed to taking away points. Remember, this new scoring system being unfettered to BP, allows Midoki greater flexibility to change at a later time based on what they perceived as balanced and fair for all players.

5. Jirobaliw-

Jirobaliw- Crew

You have a point.

6. In my honest opinion, I think that players that have worked really hard to get to ph8/9 really deserve to be rewarded for investing time into the game. Prior this Halloween update it just wasn't fair that a ph1 island had a huge advantage over high ph islands. It was such an advantage that people started to create new islands just for the mere reason of winning rumbles( which wasn't really going to add anything positive to the game). As a consequence, there probably are hundreds and hundreds (if not thousands) of "minis" abandoned and (hopefully) without use anymore.

I'm also convinced that rumbles aren't meant for new player (how come that low phs were able to earn hundreds of thousands of gold and grog without even having enough storage? That just didn't make sense). I even liked the idea of putting a ph restriction for rumbles (let's say ph7+), but Midoki was smart and didn't exclude low phs at all.

In the other hand, I see this swing of mechanics as a way to motivate new player to upgrade and be competitive to succeed in the game (you improve your base=you get rewarded).This probably means a division in guilds based on the phs, that way it would be low phs vs low phs and high phs vs high phs).

Thank you if you read it all!

TL;DR: new rumble scoring system rewards players that worked hard for achieving progress in the game. It probably means low ph must focus on upgrading instead of rumbling, or making guilds for low phs-only so they can get matched up with other low phs.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    John56, awbo, Ian and 4 others like this.
  7. the new scoring is just what we all wanted. But my guild has 31 player currently and it has been matched with guild with 45+ players. This gives other guilds a advantage, we will be full soon but until then my guild would be very happy to be matched with guilds with number of players close to ours. The guild with 48 players has 88K points and my guild has 51K points so number of player is a advantage to them and disadvantage to us. Fix this soon please.

AcProt likes this.
  8. Bou Regreg

Bou Regreg First Mate

I see no problems with a guild having both PH4s and PH9s. But to think that they should be getting the same number of rumble points is mere fantasy...try comparing a corvette with a ship of the line. A good guild will try to nurture the whelps and help them mature into strong bases. From what I have seen, most guilds still have a a fair number of non rumble participants. That PH4 putting up 500 to 1000 points is still doing a lot better than the slackers.

9. Bou Regreg

Bou Regreg First Mate

The real challenge is getting true guild wide participation. A 10 member guild with all 10 members very active will in general fair a lot better than a 40 member guild where only 5 members are active.

10. Skye

Skye Commodore

its also hard finding enough guilds of equal size to match at any specific time, if they arent a little lenient with size matching it will take hours upon hours to match (although now that low lv phs dont matter that makes things a bit easier)

but often a 50 member guild will have lots of players with little if any activity (many I've faced have 10 or so with under 2 attacks, and half with under 5), whereas a tight knit 35 member guild with every player making regular attacks actually performs better.
    50 members each doing 5 attacks will lose to 30 members each doing 10 attacks- and big guilds usually rely on their size as a crutch, since with less members each player feels they have to do less work overall.

it is an issue and they do everything they can to keep guild sizes the same without making the matchup times too long

11. Frog Warts

Frog Warts Powder Monkey

I am a PH9 and we have a few more in our guild. BUT we have a lot of our members that are fairly new and now they will not be able to keep up. The new players are excited about playing and upgrading their islands. They are busy and love our twice a week rumbles. I am afraid that now they are penalized for being newer smaller islands the fun and excitement will be gone. They are the ones, if encouraged and helped, will soon be a big island. I am sorry to see them get the short end of the stick.
    Frog Warts
    Captain

12. Skye

Skye Commodore

Low level players can still contribute in other ways, like funding with their significantly cheaper perk costs. Rumbles are really an endgame feature, and if newer players want to compete, its just more incentive for them to upgrade as fast as possible.

Bou Regreg likes this.
  13. Daredevile Pirate Guild

Daredevile Pirate Guild Powder Monkey

To enjoy new rumble scoring we have to won 100% during fight. This all we wanted.

14. RockyT

RockyT Guest

Thanks Frog Warts, You have explained superbly what probably 95% of the Rumbling Guilds feel. I have a lot of newer players on chat, during Rumbles, apologising and at the same,not understanding why their scores are so low. I have tried to explain to them, the extremely biased scoring system which is now in place.

15. awbo

awbo Captain

Perhaps a good idea is to set goals for them. For example anything under PH5 I don't worry about, but it doesn't take long to get to PH5 and then you can set goals that increase with their PH level. Achieving the goal you have set might help them see they are achieving as much as they can at the moment.

Bou Regreg and John56 like this.
  16. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

All I have to say is, Thank god the mini's are dead!

Could the scoring system be a little unbalanced, maybe a little but dang its taken a lot of work to get to PH9 so they should have more weight than some noob at a low PH who's played the game for 10 days.

Christy likes this.
  17. RockyT

RockyT Guest

From reading this forum, I get the impression that most contributors, like myself are at PH9 The impression I get is that they forget that they were once at PH1 in my opinion, Plunder Pirates is by far the best game around, that's why we play and comment on here. But they do need to take their PH9 glasses off. The Rumble scoring is a lot more than a little unbalanced 850arr. How can someone with a PH4 have to fight every 40 times to my 1? A LITTLE UNBALANCED?

18. Bou Regreg

Bou Regreg First Mate

Goals that are not rumble related are good too. Low level bases should be worrying about growing their bases not about scoring high in rumbles. They should be developing the skills they need for when the do reach high PH.

19. Bou Regreg

Bou Regreg First Mate

PH4s are not 3* PH9s, so it should take them many more fights to achieve the same score as the PH9 who is 3* PH9.

20. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Sounds about right, to recruit a PH4 crew costs tiny compared to a PH9 crew. Plus the gemming amount is a lot less since the recruit time is so much less.

One other thing, the whole mini issue really pissed me off and now reading mini's complain about the new scoring is funny to me. I fail to see why a noob account should be able to put up a score comparable to a PH9, now that's UNBALANCED.