Pirate Donation Stats keep people from requesting pirates

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by StRipper, Apr 19, 2015.

1. StRipper

StRipper Powder Monkey

Right now under the "Pirate donations" tab you can see how many troops your guild mates have donated and how many they have received.

This leads to the following behavior:
    People rushing in to donate troops as soon as someone asks but NEVER actually requesting troops for themselves. Why? Because they want to have donation stats that look like 620-80. So they can be on top of the board.

While this may not be a bad thing by itself, for one to have a "620-80" score someone else should have a "80-620" score (by assuming for the shake of simplicity that this guild only has 2 people in it :p). I have seen people in my guild being "bullied" and blamed for having such scores.

What I mean is that the current system, or more accurately the way that stats are presented, incentivizes donating troops while holding back on requesting troops. And I find that to be true for myself too. I have been dragging 10 gunners on my guild ship for the last week and never actually deploying them...

A simple solution would be to just show pirates donated and not pirates received. This way everybody would keep requesting troops without hesitation. The whole system would blossom and we would also see a lot more aggressive battles since everybody would be deploying more pirates!

Those are my 2 cents and I hope you take it into consideration!

Thank you

2. Bear

Bear Commodore

It's important to see pirates received. It helps captains figure out if someone is unfairly requesting troops without donating a fair share, which I feel is a much more common problem then the one you posted.

If pirates in your guild are bullying one another then the captain and first mates should deal with that to create a friendly atmosphere.

Cap'n Creeperb likes this.
  3. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

In our guild we require that donated is not more than X% higher than received, AND the other way around. Problem solved.

4. Shark Bait

Shark Bait First Mate

I would prefer to have stay the way it is. We are having no issues with people worrying about the ratio. We put no requirements on our members to maintain a certain ratio. We trust our guild members to be responsible in their troop donations and requests. Most in our guild help out each other as needed. We don't babysit players with numerous rules of behavior in regards to donations and requests. With that said, if we see a member with ratio of 10 donations and 300 requests (extreme example), they probably are not a good fit for our guild and they might be happier elsewhere. It is a non-issue for our guild, please don't change it.

Raptelan likes this.
  5. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Aye, showing the values is valuable. If a guild doesn't want to use them that is okay but some guilds do, hiding data isn't a good solution...

6. Christy

Christy Commodore

We only ask that members of our guilds keep a "fair" balance. However if we are doing a push it changes a bit. Since the players at the very top of the guild at a high rank need more help winning then those at the bottom. We have had only a few problems with give/take ratio being way off balance. But we have worked through it. Also at the moment I am full of grog and have no use for it since I am farming only gold for walls. So in my opinion it makes sense for me to donate troops Because the grog is just sitting and waiting to be plundered o_O

Ian likes this.
  7. Tex

Tex Commodore

I like seeing the stats for reasons already mentioned. But the really dumb thing is this, if you join another guild your donation stats reset to 0. This is bad for two reasons. When I temporarily left my guild I had excellent donation ratios and was near the top of the board in donations given. Something I was proud of and set a good example to other crew. When I returned to my guild it appears I never donated and must "rebuild" my reputation. On the other hand, a person with a horrible ratio, let's say 20 donated and 400 received could join a new guild and it would reset his stats to 0 too. You should carry your reputation with you for better or worse. Please fix this Midoki.

8. Agreed. Our guild has noticed the same problem. We would also prefer the donation stats to follow them guild to guild.

.[ IcI ]. likes this.
  9. Evil Rastlin

Evil Rastlin First Mate

I agree as in I have a GS lvl 4 so I get 10 pirates, I can never catch up with those with GS lvl 1 and only can get 4 pirates. I stopped asking for pirates for a week (and gave and asked to give), and it still didn't help my ratio. I also give maxed out Academy 7 pirates to everyone (586), and get Academy 5 back in return (741).

10. Burnz

Burnz Captain

I see your concern, but we need to see both received and donated. It helps weed out the people that just take. One problem that I see is that your guild has members bullying others. Thats not right. We have some very generous members in our guild that are always happy to donate, I don't think they are looking to be at the top of the leaderboard. Also, we have 2 spots open should you be looking for a new guild.

But there is another problem in general with the GS, you can request and log off, thereby increasing your received, but at times it is hard to even get to donate. I have found myself many times without pirates to donate or I just queued up my tavern with a WD at the start and then someone requests. I learned, now I just queue up my gunners first so that I have at least those to donate. Maybe some of your guild mates that are being bullied should ask in chat if anyone needs pirates, so that someone will request and their donations will go up. Or at least, an effort will be shown that they would like to donate.

Tiger Claw and .[ IcI ]. like this.
  11. .[ IcI ].

.[ IcI ]. Powder Monkey

In our guild, no mention of the donation stats is made. It does not appear to matter.
    You request, you receive from whomever is online. Simple enough.

12. the Hornet

the Hornet Powder Monkey

It bothered me at first when i saw someone with a poor donation ratio. In reality, unless you are captain and need to weed people out of the guild there is no point in worrying. All i am concerned with it that I have a good ratio. If i find that i have received more than i have given, i just stop requesting. Or even ask on chat if anyone wants donations. Also, as Burnz has mentioned, i queue my gunners first so i have crew to give away quickly. After all, i have more grog than i can spend because it takes so long to train someone in the academy or voodoo hut.

13. Christy

Christy Commodore

You do know you can train more than one pirate at a time in academy and voodoo hut right? I only ask because it took me a little while before I realized.

the Hornet likes this.
  14. the Hornet

the Hornet Powder Monkey

No i didn't. Thank you so much for that incredible tip :)

Christy likes this.
  15. Hard Rooster

Hard Rooster Powder Monkey

Well someone who gives and gives and gives and never asks is going to drag the ratio of others down, being that it is a zero sum game as the OP pointed out. As long as management understands that, then there shouldn't be an issue. Each guild can manage themselves as they see fit, but to do that, you need the information to manage.

Christy likes this.
  16. .[ IcI ].

.[ IcI ]. Powder Monkey

It's so amazing that people take so long to figure this out. Maybe Midoki can make this easier to discover? Or we should post this in the Strategy forum?

17. Cap'n Creeperb

Cap'n Creeperb First Mate

Completely agree with this. Why would someone want to be in a guild where she/he is getting bullied?

18. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I'm sorry, I don't get all the micro-management here. Yes, if someone is taking way more than they return, that is a big problem, but the other way around? I don't think so.

We have a guy in our guild who has donated 2,337 pirates and requested 0.

So what if he's on top of the donation list? His generosity benefits everyone, and nobody's ever complained about it. We're grateful.

If people are complaining about being bullied, then the guild has an attitude problem, not a problem that can be fixed by altering the donation system.

Christy likes this.
  19. Christy

Christy Commodore

Agree @Kelani I have zero use for grog only gold. Cooking pirates to donate while I have the opportunity hurts no one. If I can send one of our top players all max WD it's not because I am looking to be at the top of a donation list. It's because I can't even collect from my grog mines. One day I will need the grog and the troops so enjoying it while I can.

*Cap'n Sparkle* likes this.
  20. Tex

Tex Commodore

It would be nice if donations counted slots instead of pirates. We have a crew member who has been donating max HG, so awesome! But it counts as only 1 donation when it really consumes 5 slots. Obviously more expensive troop requiring more baking time. Counting by slots would be more fair to the donator.