Pirate Donation Stats keep people from requesting pirates

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by StRipper, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Bear

Bear Commodore

Agreed, thus seems like it would be natural

2. Ian

Ian Commodore

Agree @Christy, but a problem exists when someone donates excessively at the expense of their own growth and their ability to contribute to the overall PR rating of the guild. Everything in moderation.

3. Skye

Skye Commodore

Even a slot-based system wouldn't really be accurate. WD counts as 2 slots, but would you really consider a WD to be the same as 2 gunners?

It should be based on either grog cost, or training time, if anything, to normalize troops against each other.

The real best way to do it would be to have a bar next to the Donation label, with an icon for each troop, and a number on each troop for amount given and received. Possibly with that troops current research level as well, just for guilds to have a better look at prospective applicants progress.

I could throw together a mockup in illustrator if needed.

*Cap'n Sparkle* likes this.
  4. Skye

Skye Commodore

One way to combat this as a guild leader, going off something bear suggested in another thread I believe, is that at the end of every month or whatever, anyone with high donation amounts and low received amounts puts up requests for pirates and only the people with low donation numbers donate. It does stifle progress a bit, but during a farming week it won't have a huge impact, and it gives people a chance to catch back up.

Its hard for casual players to donate when they're frequently offline when requests are made, and active players rush to fill the requests in seconds. But unless a casual player completely foregoes this perk (which, the game is increasingly being designed to require), they will have bad looking stats. So either they look bad, or their attacks are significantly hampered.

I honestly think the best overhaul would be a central building that listed all guild members current ships, and without them having to request, you could go in and donate, either to a central pool or directly to a ship. Then, while a needing player can make a request, its a lot easier for players to find an empty ship to help out, and ships will be empty much less often. Put a cooldown on how often a player can donate to a ship in this instead, and it allows a more community centric system. One player won't be able to constantly stock all of them, giving everyone a chance to help out. And every players' ships are always available, so the perks are utilized much more often than they previously would be.

.[ IcI ]. and awbo like this.
  5. Skye

Skye Commodore

Forgive the triple post, and the sloppy quick edit I threw together, but here's what I think should be shown for donation stats

[​IMG]

D/R for all troops, as well as troop levels.

6. Bear

Bear Commodore

That would be cool

7. Blueberry

Blueberry Captain

Awesome idea!

8. DamianWars

DamianWars First Mate

i find the captain of the guild should have more control like a moderator to set whatever cultural they want the guild to have. Perhaps it would be beneficial to allow admin options for the captain of the guild to disable certain stats so as not to influence guild members to give out of balance.

another option would be to change how the guild ship donations work. On every other guilds there is a post sign above the building alerting people to a need to donate to that particular guild. Some people no doubt never give yet all guild members benefit from the guild indiscriminately regardless who donated what.

the ship can be treated similarly without it affecting the states. have the ship with a max capacity of x pirates (like 50 or 100) and when there is less then x pirates in the ship the sign appears alerting people of a need to donate. When someone requests pirates it withdrawals pirates from the collective pot giving indiscriminately, like the other guilds, based on a first come first serve basis. If the pot is empty no one gets pirates and it builds a queue again based on first in-first out (fifo). This would help correct the text spam generated form the donates because it is managed automatically and it would also ensure no one is forgotten because their request message is buried under messages. You could also tweak it further by allow specific requests like only gunners and when those pirates are available the automatic system will search for the oldest request for those pirates and give them out first, if there no specific requests then it would give it to the next in queue

I don't like to use donated pirates... its a bit of a pride thing 'cause i want to be able to defeat an island with no help. I don't care about the stats yet I also have top level pirates and know other can benefit from them so I donate liberally and my states right now are about 0:1000. Who cares if its 1000:0 or 0:1000 giving pirates help others to win and wining benefits the overall stats of the guild. If there is abuse then a lot of form members can kick people out but I agree there should be a more indiscriminate way of donating pirates.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  9. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I agree that would solve some problems, but drawing from a community pool would also create new problems:

1. It would be a ton of work to code and test, and has a high potential for creating new exploits.

2. It would complicate and slow down the donation process. Players would have to select which pirate types they want before sending each request. Say I ask for two HGs. What happens if nobody is online who can fill them? Is my request going to sit for hours until someone fills it? That could be lessened by allowing people to cancel a request and submit a new one, but again, lots of coding work more clicking and more waiting. Right now, if I send a request, it's getting filled within 10 seconds. Waiting 10 minutes for HGs, then cancelling, waiting for the request cooldown, and then sending a new request for gunners and waiting until my turn comes up just seems like a huge waste of time.

3. Players who gem troops and raid way more than other players are going to suck up most of the troops. Pulling from a collective pool and removing any individual stats removes any ability for Captain/Crew to turn off the tap to excessive donation suckers, and players who aren't donating their fair share of troops.

The current donation system is already pretty much identical to CoC, so IMO, Adding the remaining elements of the CoC donation system is the best short-term fix for almost all the current problems.

1. When a donation is filled, the recipient sees a popup showing who donated what troop, and their donation request is removed from the chat window. The game could do one better than Clash by having these "you received X from X" messages logged somewhere, so the player can still check them if they miss the popup.
    2. If a person gets unwanted troops, they can delete them
    3. The last-used donation message is saved, so the player doesn't have to retype "gunners please" every time they send a request.

10. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

@Tex good point... or even stating how many of each type... someone would DEFINITELY not want to have someone to donate Lvl 1 Bucs all the time for a good amount donated, rite?

Tex likes this.
  11. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Until some of these changes appear, our guild policy is: Until you have L18 gunners, take what you need, and don't worry about donating. If someone starts donates lower-level troops, we let them know about that policy, and ask them to refrain from doing that. It's worked great so far.

12. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

First, on a point a while ago, it isn't a zero sum game within a guild, just within pp as a whole. Coc had issues with people hopping off, ask troops elsewhere, hop,back. Guilds can set their own rules around this i.e. Don't fill requests from new joiners, must donate 10 before asking, time limits moving etc.....

On requests, if you really want to go to ends of earth:

Each pirate has point value based on type rank etc, use this for score (queue whining about score being wrong). Similar idea for base matching before but that never got anywhere.

When requesting you don't send message to chat. GS acts more like tavern and you tap what you want, could have an anything type in there as well. Can ask for mixture, adds up to space available, same as tavern.

Nothing hits chat, instead an icon appears above everyone's gs, similar to perks. You hit it, fill what is requested, can't fill anything else. This also allows general funding across guild. Eg overall open guild request is 10 gunners over 3 people, can fill all at once, happens on fifo basis.

Maybe means more chance to fill for more people instead of rush to hit button, also means may get filled slower if you ask for funky stuff.

For icon could have it only appear if you can help on open requests but doesn't really matter.

Request auto expires.

If you really want add more then when specifying type can also specify minimum train level by type, again can't fill if you don't have.

Upsides - fair on points other than nobody is ever happy. Cross funding in one place. Get what you want. Frees up chat.

Downsides - maybe complicated to,do. Still nobody happy. People ask silly stuff, don't get it, fed up, people can't fill, fed up. That should fix itself though as no point asking for stuff you never get but may be difficult if you are low in guild but hey, people relaxed on their ratios anyway.

Skye likes this.
  13. DamianWars

DamianWars First Mate

To encourage donating perhaps the cool down period is according to how many pirates you give. If you give lots, then the cool down is fast and if you give none but leech a lot the cool down is long. The more you balance your give/take ratio the cool down period will improve

14. Bear

Bear Commodore

I think the system is fine as is.