Server is terrible in China

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by hduwhyso, Dec 14, 2015.

1. hduwhyso

hduwhyso Crew

Weird.

2. Skye

Skye Commodore

China has the entire country's internet firewalled, mainly for censorship and thought-control reasons (heaven forbid anyone mentions the prc in an unfavorable light), which is why a vpn is helping - the packets are being routed as https instead of udp for the duration of the vpn tunnel, and unless the firewall is specifically blocking that vpn's address, the packets just look like normal ssl traffic.

I'm unsure why the mobile provider is letting them through where home internet doesn't, but I bet there's some sort of extra provider-level filtering going on with the broadband as home network connections are likely under higher scrutiny.

Unfortunately without a major redesign of the game, I doubt there's anything substantial Midoki would be able to do to deal with China's need to police internet connections so thoroughly. Rovio may be able to do something if they have a Chinese facility, but a VPN is likely your best bet.

3. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Yep, that's true. And even GOOGLE is blocked..... gosh, when did they do that? I remember it didnt happen last time I went there.....