So long and thanks for all the fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by roguecylon, Nov 29, 2014.

1. roguecylon

roguecylon Captain

I think my short time on this forum is done. I simply cannot abide by censorship, and closing threads after a moderator expresses their opinion is a strong form of censorship.

For reference I have moderated successfully forums of 40k+ members. Although I have no desire to do anymore modding these days. I can at least know I did so with integrity and fairness to others. I would call out gently threads that were off track or inappropriate posts and 99% of the time they would autocorrect.

Censorship is a plague, and in the hands of inexperience kills mature debate.

Thanks. And I will be sad to leave, but I value principles more.

2. SaK

SaK First Mate

I agree with you... Its like killing your basic rights democratic rights.... Censorship is very insulting...

3. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

What happened? What thread are you talking about?

4. AngryBeard

AngryBeard Community Manager

I am not standing in your way, I don't even expect an answer, but I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. My best guess is that you are refering to the recently closed thread Cheaters, so I will briefly explain, since I was the closing moderator. Firstly let's talk about censorship. Where do you see censorship? Am I deleting any post made in the discussion? Do I alter post to hide things that were said? Do you experience any suppression of the posts that in this example contain offenses towards racial belonging? - The answer is no, simply because there is no censorship in the sense of the word. You are saying:
    No! A strong form of censorship is for example what we experienced in Turkey last year, not the closing of a thread that has gone rogue. It seems to me that you are over exaggerating the closing of a thread and misinterpret the enforcement of our forum rules as what you call censorship. Example? - You are free to write what has been written in the thread, just don't confuse what has been labeled "freedom of speech" with "I can say whatever I want without consequences". Speaking racism doesn't shield you from consequences not in this forum, not in the real world. Yes, you have the right to hold an opinion, but we have established rules in this forum that have to be followed, and again, so does the real world. Come on, I don't really have to explain that. Interestingly enough, I haven't closed the thread because I feared the outbreak of severe racism, I simply closed the thread because it was a huge mess:

Also I understand that sentence in a way that you are unhappy with me having the last word in the thread. Is that correct? Do you think I should have given room for others to participate in that mess of a thread? So here is my thought process:

• The thread was opened on November 10. That's more than two weeks old, effectively rendering it unrelevant in relative internet times
    • The thread was burried for ~13 days, before being brought up again on last thursday, without the intention to induce a relevant or related discussion to OPs intentional "question" which already wasn't one
    • The thread itself was merely to be understood as a pointing at cheaters, not inducing any form of discussion or question
    • The re-initiation was then nothing but a side blow towards a admittedly worthy discussion of chinese characteristics in online gaming.
    • The discussion didn't find any fertile ground and quickly drafted away to (false) accusations and generalizations towards the chinese players
    • In particular, one individual made certain comments, followed by this, up until this point, not understandable quote:
    • No post has been deleted by the user in question
    • No tracks have been covered nor has anything been edited by me
    • The individual in question then replied to another users in a weird way, not realising its the same that he was accusing:

• Again, no posts have been deleted, neither by me nor the user
    • Lastly, followed by another quote refering to deleted posts about the same users that just replied directly before.
    The conclusion that I drew here was that this thread has gone complete apeshit and should be closed sooner rather than later. I didn't see any way the discussion could return to a normal state without commenting on every single post, thus overmoderating the thread by hand. The original intention by OP was at this point completely abandoned and in my understanding a thread should at least partially pay respect to OPs original question. I then closed the thread with the suggestion to open a new thread with the almost same discussion.

To stick to your wording, why would I be gentle with this mess? There was nothing left to discuss, nothing left of the intentional meaning, no light at the end of the tunnel and the furthest away from a mature discussion than any other thread in this forum. The conclusion was to close the thread.

5. donkeykilla

donkeykilla First Mate

I personally like that you closed it because it was becoming a messy thread. Quite frankly I can already see the forum itself becoming a bit if a mess. Seems like its inevitable that every thread quickly gets off track and becomes nonsensical dialogue between a few people. However, i agree with rogue to a certain extent. Space apes forum for samurai siege was famous for closing any thread without explanation that even mentioned foul play by any player. Obviously these guys are not like that here. It can be a slippery slope but I have to say I love the job these guys are doing.

# Johnny Doe # and Bl00dBaTh like this.
  6. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

Is that the thread in question? That thread did need to be locked because there was no coming back I think, the original OP was about someone having 2 MM's & it snowballed into a head to head between two players. Although what those players are doing is morally wrong, are they really breaking any rules? I don't know, but I do know the very same thing went on in Clash a while ago.

7. roguecylon

roguecylon Captain

If it's messy what's wrong with an admin post to either ask to stay on subject or move on. Point out in a democratic way that the thread has gotten messy. Or do you simply not trust your members?

I have talked to you by PM before @AngryBeard about my concern on the speed and regulatory of closed thread and concern for censorship.

As an example, you called out that the thread had been opened two weeks prior, and had been dormant before someone reopened it. Well the person that reopened this topic did so because YOU closed his other thread. Nice! A heavy hand on moderating never serves a forum well in the long term. A forum is for discussion and debate, if you want a company controlled environment then maybe a blog suites that better.
    I don't expect much support of my concern here because many members certainly want to be in your good graces. But I felt something needed saying.

You jumped on the thread being racist, and decided that debate wasn't needed. Sure I feel the same in that politics and racist beliefs have no home here. But if I call out a Chinese guild that I know contains 80% or more a Chinese players, is that racism or fact? I also agree with the person stating that he was offended himself about the name of one guild, and rightly so.

8. I guess I would be more concerned if any thread that seemed to critique Midoki was shut down. Which I don't see happening.

And there have been some pretty good/strong critques of bugs, troops, game mechanics, etc. that haven't been shut down.

9. Burnz

Burnz Captain

I didn't bother to track down the thread you are talking about, but in my general experience, a mod always gets the last word in. Good or bad, a mod posts and then they close the thread.

Lastly,
    In your eyes, you did it with integrity, that doesn't mean someone wouldn't feel butt hurt about you closing a thread, Im sure you got your last word in. And as someone who has visited many forums, I doubt your "99%" is accurate. Threads always derail, it happens. Also, this is a forum provided by Midoki, why wouldn't they censor it. Shit, If I developed some game that will someday bring in millions of dollars a day, I would censor the crap out of out of the forum I provided. They don't owe us anything. They are not a country and even in countries with free speech, it isn't really free.

Ashraman and Tikigirl like this.
  10. Really his post was Edited things written in post deleted by him and or edited after posting really lol it's clear to see he removed all his post from the ashram guy you quoted lol so your wrong he did remove things in his post it it wasn't you it was him. But don't qoute me with wrong facts lol ty
    @roguecylon made a valid point then hours later some one says he's and others are a racists for stating something that had happen with a cheater early in day and at same time calling the players he trying to back up ghetto? That's seems like a racists remark to me...then goes on rant how no one cheatting. All well players he was talking about not on to defend them selfs.

SEE SHOWS EDITED TIMES FROM ORIGINAL POST TIME.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  11. Sometimes a post has to be engraved into stone. @@Ashraman thank you very much for stepping in! Nothing to add here. <-------Said by AngryBeard after it was edited on thread in questioned by roguecylon
    Cheaters
    Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AmericanPirate, Nov 10, 2014.

Why is his post edited way after posting it? He edited itGo look at cheater thread buddy it's not my job to qoute posters correctly That's yours.so tell me what post by ashraman, did you mean since none are on thread now are not unedited for some odd reason:eek:. So before you typed up your post as a staff you should get your facts right thanks good job . Any one can go to cheaters thread and see every post was edited by him by that ash guy but dear forum mod here can't see that even thoe he tried to reference it on his post to user ( the one at top of this post)so it's either not good at job or not given tools to track stuff deleted or edited so that later readers and mods see it's been changed again and again or deleted , or is their other motive for closing thread?

P.s. Now this pops up seems more popping on post about cheaters and hackers... Hacked again!
      1. [​IMG]
        1. BarbedCabin Boy
          Our mate's "~Anrov ~" account hacked by chinese hacker(s). Using her first mate rank they kicked everybody from our guild who lower than first mate 3hrs ago. It happened second time, after first one I wrote Chris with no answer. Does Midoki going to do anything with it? Could you cancel kicking at least?
          [​IMG]
          [​IMG]

Last edited: 19 minutes ago
          Barbed, 29 minutes agoReport
          #1LikeReply

On new thread.

12. AngryBeard

AngryBeard Community Manager

@.Lord M€G/\T|2ON. I think you put Ashraman on your ignore list thats why his posts are not displaying for you anymore. Nothing got deleted in that discussion.

13. Edited (deleted as in parts of his post deleted ) for sure lol says time it was.

Ps not blocked

14. ll DarkZero ll

ll DarkZero ll Captain

Angrybeard you had me literally lmfao when you Quoted Megatron making non-understandable posts. Then the comment about the thread going apeshit was just the icing on the cake. I've taken some time off from here and reading that made my day :D.

I'm not sure if Megatrons foreign or just 12 but I don't understand about 80% of what he posts.​

15. Neither do I with you stat class post and drug post and drinking well studying for school lol 100% what you post make sense to you. Stats ;) no wonder you guild empty half the the time stats get boring.:) The best was your 5 th of November post :D that got no traction and stats book pic post man too funny studying hard well posting on forum as every one said Your "math" was tops. Go to zeros page read his status post I don't think zero knows what he means on those post lol. He has a pudding post lol .

16. ll DarkZero ll

ll DarkZero ll Captain

Not sure how my Guild can be empty when I have to constantly clear space and I'm not going to flame war with a 12 year old. And you leave my pudding out of this, my pudding did nothing wrong.

Ashraman likes this.
  17. Lol from ex guild mates chat is a bore ,like you pudding post and stat post ,I laff at your drug references here and status post and lack of any interaction on your page to many of your post. you type on a game forum well studying your " math" class that's the zero life I guess Cheers flamer post some math pics again :D

18. ll DarkZero ll

ll DarkZero ll Captain

Someone call the cops, this kid just murdered the English language.

19. Troll patrol called old man flaming on chat send back up to zeros mothers house asap.

Post your math pics again lol. Or post some drug / drinking post well you really Are sitting doing your stat class math .

I think you flame real fast . Go ahead get last post you need a hug I can tell.

20. Captain Monkey

Captain Monkey First Mate

Wow, some deep emotions u guys. It's a game. Have fun. Relax. Yes it has problems, but real life has more.