Symmetrical Bases = not good

Discussion in 'Build Strategies' started by Liquix, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Liquix

Liquix Crew

Wondering whether someone of you shares my mind.

Here it is:
    Symmetrical bases may look good and effective if you place your defense right, but it's easier to plan attacks on them. You are able to get a nice quick overview of them, how to attack them. And your troops probably aren't going to get in directions that you don't want them to go to.

Asymmetric bases are much difficult to attack. Sometimes even the first look on them makes me think: "Ehh, fuck it, looks to complicated - neeeext."

Problem:
    I'm a damn perfectionist, I have to have everything symmetrical :(

2. z1ggur4t

z1ggur4t Crew

fight the urge I say, fight the urge... I did have a completely random base at one stage but had to make some order of it finally. I use the "long fore shore" method making it as big as possible to help wind the clock down. there's plenty of room for randomness there in the sandy bits. you could of course go all OCD and assess each and every piece for attributes and place them accordingly but there's more interest to be found in plundering than defence in my view. horses for courses...

3. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Symmetry is near impossible in this game. That being said, a well designed base can be symmetrical or asymmetrical. It all depends on how it's made.

4. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

I have a great idea for a base...but the problem is, the ship. It gets in the way of my plans :(. Will have to think up a new plan.

5. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Yeah, that's the problem I had.

6. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

If we could have 2 ships... :rolleyes:

7. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

That would be fantastic...

8. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

Incrediblely Fantastic...not just fantastic!

9. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

Two ships and Kraken named Ted!

Gangrene Beard likes this.
  10. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

Arrrrr!
    I agree with the name!

11. Liquix

Liquix Crew

Don't be fussy with definitions.
    "a nearly symmetrical lookin' base", better? :p

Now someone will come along and tell me: "There's no "nearly symmetrical". Something is either symmetrical or not."

12. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

:) Sorry. I couldn't help it and then it didn't look like anyone would notice. I know what you mean though and a base designed to be as close to symmetrical as possible would be very easy to evaluate, however if it is designed properly then it would be evaluated as too difficult quickly too :)

13. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

Nearly symmetrical also can stand for, symmetrical to the eye at first glance, but really has 1 or 2 buildings outta place.

14. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Pedantic semantics

Gristle likes this.
  15. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I'm not a fan of cookie-cutter bases. I am, however, a big fan of psychological warfare, and a random-looking base allows that. My first one, affectionately named Frankentown, looked like it was destroyed by a hurricane, then rebuilt by a drunk tornado. There were several weak spots, but it took attackers so long to find them, they ran out of time before they could exploit them. When they just threw troops at it, the combination of distractions, obstacles, tall buildings blocking view of nasty surprises, selective building rotation to hide clues, and each defense being covered by 2-3 other defenses made for some very short fights. I've moved away from that design a bit, but I still think it's a powerful tool. I'll let Frankentown's record speak for itself:

Frankentown v1: PH1-4
    Win/Loss Record: 72-1 (If I hadn't accidentally left my rank at 270 overnight, that'd be a zero) .
    Max destruction: 55%
    Avg. destruction: 4%
    Avg. Gold Stolen: 8,284
    Avg. Grog Stolen: 6,337

Gangrene Beard and Kit like this.
  16. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

Do you perhaps have a picture?

17. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

That makes my head hurt....

Gangrene Beard likes this.
  18. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Sounds fun

19. Pirate Bee

Pirate Bee First Mate

My base is quite symmetrical and works well.

20. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

I agree. I love symmetry. Makes it seem stronger then it really is because it is organized.