Who was your mentor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bjays92, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Bjays92

Bjays92 Captain

We all started out as noobs, some of us didn't want to attack, others didn't know what guild to join etc. The point is everyone here has someone they look or looked up to. Someone that they owe everything to, or someone that taught them things that still stand firm today. I'm curious who were these people for you?

I know for me I owe everything to a long retired player ironrackham. He came and pulled me out of the tiny dying guild I was in, and introduced me to the top guilds with active players and chat (as well as rumbles) and really got me hooked. Without him I probably wouldn't be playing today. My mentor/person I looked up to, is another long retired player Vancouver Island aka Van Isle. He taught me how to attack helped me out with my base layout etc. The one other person who I really admire is @Kamikazemug his is always a pleasure to talk to, and has such a great attitude towards the game. He also has a wealth of information and I love discussing some of the lesser known facts about the game with him. I also really appreciate his effort alongside @peg-brain bob's and @Sharky's in helping add tons of info to the wiki!

Thanks to everyone who makes my plundering experience so enjoyable!

2. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

My mentors were @The Fish Eyed Pirate & Malleus Pirata - they 'showed me the ropes' and offered great encouragement to my initial incompetent efforts. :D

However the person I really owe credit to (for keeping me still playing almost 2 years later) is @Purple Rose :) Not so much a mentor... more of an equal / friendly rival / 'bestie'. ;)

3. Purple Rose

Purple Rose First Mate

Hahaha @peg-brain bob u n me have had quite the journey together n I wouldn't play this game without u by my side

4. Ian

Ian Commodore

As a young Pirate, I had no pirate mentor until I joined RFF and there my 1st Mentor there was @Christy and the many good members at RFF who taught me the intricacies of this game.
    As a Captain though, I can thank @Tiger Claw for showing me how to manage a Guild and be a Captain that is worthy of the members I serve.
    As a person, I owe the many members of my Guild for guiding me and showing me what I can do and having faith in myself.

Christy, Tiger Lilly, HARLOCK and 3 others like this.
  5. Seawitch

Seawitch First Mate

I have learnt so much from so many. Right from the start Dianne from the Midnight alliance started me on the right track then Jonesy from the same alliance taught the importance of and how to properly streak. Harlock and Huga were major attacking strategists, I failed that course but did learn tricks from them. But the friendships are what keep me playing. You know who you are

Bjays92, Tiger Lilly, HARLOCK and 2 others like this.
  6. flyingdoucheman

flyingdoucheman Magical Banner Wizard

Mentors? Tormentors for sure, lol. :D:mad:o_O

7. ElFrenetico

ElFrenetico Captain

In the game, I learned quite a bit from the players in the small guild I started out with - we all discovered rumbling together and it took quite a bit of trial and error, sharing wins & fails, until we became good enough to make a little dent in the Scottish Seadogs during a rumble and "get noticed".

From there, The Queen (who wooed and recruited our whole guild) and Craggy (captain of Seadogs at the time) shared a lot. Since then, the my fellow officers in the Seadogs have all been a great source of strategy, humor, and inspiration to stick with the game even when updates got a bit sparse.

850Arrr and his crew from Elite have been a wonderful addition to our guild too - they brought so much experience, strategy, and a worldly view of the top guilds. This has made it possible to expand our seas to visit and get to know even more guilds. Rivals and household names in the forums have become friends and the lines between guilds have blurred in a great way.

Here in the forum, I learned a lot from Skye's meticulous posts and was inspired by his ability to look at the game from the perspective of different types of players. Things that seemed frustrating to me (as a casual rumbler who spends a bit on gems) made sense when seen in the light of non-rumblers, exploration fiends, free players, and even the big spenders who do the most to help keep the lights on at Midoki.

Through it all, The Queen (captain of Seadogs R&R and the guiding star of the Seadogs) has probably helped me more than anyone with the most important aspect of the game - the steady hand, open mind, empathy and frankness that it takes to build a guild that can survive rough seas.

She's helped us learn to keep the pressure low, the mood up, the roster healthy, and the chat light & playful. Most importantly, she's helped me to remember (and to help others remember) to always give everyone the benefit of the doubt: that it's always just a game, and behind every island (even in the toughest rival guilds) is a real person who's just having some fun, just like us.

Dog Breath, 850arrr, Bjays92 and 5 others like this.
  8. ElFrenetico

ElFrenetico Captain

Wow, I really do ramble on. Sorry about that! :)

850arrr, Bjays92, Tiger Lilly and 2 others like this.
  9. lady blackbeard

lady blackbeard Captain

Super Nor and Willard were wonderful to mentor noobs. They made Wild Piggies a warm and welcoming place to learn pirating.

peg-brain bob and Bjays92 like this.
  10. Tiger Lilly

Tiger Lilly Captain

I'm not sure I have a true mentor by definition. What I have acquired since I started playing this game is many players that I consider friends which I have the upmost respect and have learned much.;) I truly value their opinions and advice that they kindly offered during events and rumbles! I think there are many guilds in this game that are truly remarkable and I feel privileged that I was a part of one by either belonging or just helping out during a rumble!!!:) Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and helping me become a better player!!!:);) Hopefully I can pass on this wisdom I learned to players that are just starting out in this game!!:D

11. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  12. Scarlet Fever

Scarlet Fever First Mate

Mentors in pp....from my early days as a newbie pirate, Wise mans fear and Sin King were instrumental in getting me started.

To the current time I have been helped and inspired by the midnight alliance (capt catfood, @Ian @Dianne's Isle , @peg-brain bob and @Purple Rose ).

There have also been many people along the way, that the game would not the same without. I totally agree with you @ElFrenetico it is important to remember the people behind the islands:)

Seawitch, peg-brain bob, Ian and 4 others like this.
  13. Kamikazemug

Kamikazemug First Mate

Thank you @Bjays92 for the kin words. and to be honest, like yourself there are heaps of players willing to help and aid new players in improving their personal skills, as well as the overall guild performance.

My personal motivation has always been to understand the game's mechanics. @Arrow has been my mate for that for more then 2 yeArs. That was the in-game best contact, he started out after me but caught up in no time.

I have quite a list of players I used to have much contact with or still have. Those "out of contact" mostly have quite the game, which is a loss I believe.

@Skye was my first and oldest contact in this. As a game developer he (calafornia I believe) was also part of the "dark side" of unraveling the entire game in numbers and mechanics. I had lengthy chats in my morning (Europe, Amsterdam time zone) train ride, which would have been his late night time. Many of the basic principles the game industry is build uppon I have derived from his side. Very sorry to see that 6 months ago he bacially dimmed down playing and then stopped all together.

@c00ni from the Aussie side of the world (is there any better country when all a men needs is great weather, a barbecue and a beer....) The way c00ni was/is collecting data and trying to "break" the game, just for the sake of improving it let me to searching more deeply into the data patterns for the sake of understanding the game even better.

Many of these data initiatives I could only have undertake with the help of the community. Some more then others. An example of this would be my collection of sailing maps indicating tokens and ranges. I have made the maps myself but the token calculations took over a 100 screenshot of sails and token rewards to unravel. Special credit goes out to @SithFlyer for gemming heaps of single deep sails to unlock the missing data.

Another (all to familiar) player great to the community and for personal reference would be @Spongee Not in the field of tactics or data mining, but in the way the community should be respectful to each other (PPBay chat) and the way he is (most of the time) trying to even put the discussions between pro and con members in the heat of the moment.

From the MiDoKi family for me personal thanks goes out to @Lynsey [Midoki] as she is always (most of the time) prepared to explain and/or clarify something that is not working or not clear in game!

And naturally ALL THE OTHER MEMBERS THAT HAVE HELPED ME OVER THE YEARS

14. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

Again, WOW

Not sure I deserve this recognition, but HECK, it's one hell of an ego boost none the less.

For anyone who doesn't know Ian, just let me say that he is one of the TOP 10 Guild Captains playing Plunder Pirates. I've been honored to know many, but Ian really stands out and is the backbone of Midnight Alliance and one heck of a person.

Thank you Ian, thank you very much.

Tiger

15. Ian

Ian Commodore

16. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Yeah, it was really sad to see @Skye quit. Really saddened me to see one who had theorycrafted so much to finally leave the game...

17. It's unfortunate that we are now at a point where we lose more players than we gain.

18. ~Spyder~

~Spyder~ Powder Monkey

I'm still a relative newbie, but in my earliest days in the game @Sea Patriot helped me out loads with tips and advice - and he made me feel very welcome! (I also got quite a lot of help from @roycejames so probably ought to acknowledge him too!) ;)

Scarlet Fever and Sea Patriot like this.
  19. Keena-CBD

Keena-CBD First Mate

20. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain