Who's ready for a Guild War?

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by awbo, May 22, 2016.

1. Darth Yoda

Darth Yoda First Mate

I prefer the idea of a 10 battle limit. Everything does not have to be about volume. If there are guilds who do not wish to be involved because that does not suit their playing style, then that should be fine. However, for those who wish to try something a little more strategic, then this could be a good variation.

Basically all members of a guild would need to determine the sweet spot starting point for the rumble to maximise their return, because if you started with a PR to high and had a couple of bad early losses, it could affect the overall outcome fot the whole team. On the other hand, too low a PR, and your point contribution could be soft.

I could picture a scenario where members of a guild are holding off fighting their last couple of battles to see how many points they might need if the matchup is tight. Will 2 more battles of 600pp be enough to win, or do I need to stretch myself and go attempt to 3* two battles worth 750pp each, but I might just stuff them up and only 2* and cost us the win.

Dianne's Isle and awbo like this.
  2. awbo

awbo Captain

Yes @Darth Yoda! That's exactly what I envisioned! I have one sign up so far, who else is interested?

Dianne's Isle likes this.
  3. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

Be warned, if you hoping to match up in a rumble, pay close attention to number of players and how many at each PH level. We attempted to match two guilds on three separate occasions, on third try we had exact same number of players at same PH levels, so basically had two identical guilds and still were not able to match each other.

4. awbo

awbo Captain

Yeah it's a crapshoot :D will try our best.

5. Hawkbeard

Hawkbeard First Mate

We really do need proper guilds wars, rather than who spends the most wins rumbles. I don't mind spending gems, just the way some people spend them you have no chance, takes some fun out of them.

6. awbo

awbo Captain

So @Hawkbeard is British Pirates interested in this?

7. awbo

awbo Captain

Right, this is happening Saturday 11th June, start time TBA. Create a special guild or register your own guild and pm me the name. I will send you the rules and start time. Basically, it's maximum 10 attacks per player. Screenshots will be used to verify scores if guilds fail to match. May the best attackers win! You can also message me in ppbay Slack as JJ.

8. This is a great idea! Count me in!

9. awbo

awbo Captain

So far we have confirmed:

MidnightAlliance
    Pirates United (rumbling as PUV)
    Never Land
    RFF

Anyone else?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    peg-brain bob, Darth Yoda and Ian like this.
  10. Poppa Bob

Poppa Bob Crew

Boom Beach is doing something interesting. You can attack Task Force members in a "Friendly Fight". No loses in either side. I think it's a cool exercise to test weaknesses and test strategies. Like sparing.

deePS77V8 likes this.
  11. deePS77V8

deePS77V8 Crew

I have been saying in our guild chat for awhile that there should be a war games like feature where you can attack guild members bases for no loot to test your attack strategies and defenses.

Poppa Bob likes this.
  12. awbo

awbo Captain

So the War is over! GREAT fun was had by all. It was quite a difficult challenge actually. Given that you only had 10 attacks, you wanted to make every one count. This required a different strategy regarding army selection, use of guild ship troops (and hence guild co-operation in donating maxed troops etc), nexting. There was a lot of pressure and I know with a couple of my battles my heart was in my mouth the last 10 seconds hoping for the 3-star. We formed a temporary guild MidnightAlliance to participate and members from all our alliance guilds were invited. We also had some visitors at the last minute. We ended up with 39 which was a good show. Next time I hope we can get 50. Our guild chat was at it's limit with only 1 hour worth of posts! People were sharing attacks and getting together working out how to take down rival bases. It was such a good way of getting people together and the energy was INTENSE. I barely put my iPad down for 24 hours.

I also want to thank the other guilds participating. RFF, PU and Never Land. Without their involvement this would never have gotten off the ground.We all tried to match in a rumble, but unfortunately only PU and RFF matched. NL and ourselves were off in separate rumbles. So a feature where you could select the guilds to participate would be great for this kind of contest. Perhaps a feature where you can select other guilds to rumble and only if they agree will it go ahead? PU and RFF were neck-a-neck the whole time. However unfortunately, a few didn't get the memo about the 10-attack limit and went over, thereby voiding their score. By creating a temporary guild, I think you are more likely to get everyone in line and on the same page, so that's something to think about going forward.

Final scores were:
    Pirates United 251,000
    RFF 217,475
    MidnightAlliance 182,397
    Never Land 8,384

Kudos to PU and RFF for stepping up. Both guilds are renowned in the game. By limiting themselves to 10 attacks in this way, they were accepting that they may lose the rumble they were in, even if they won this contest. Additionally, the final score will effect their average and their standing on the top100 rumble board. So I applaud them for letting gameplay and interest in the game override statistics. Interestingly, PU, RFF and ourselves were all in the top20 guilds because we were all trying to raise our PR to score maximum points. We made it to 13! So this kind of competition gives an incentive to increase and hold a high PR, which players have long complained about.

So I don't know where we go from here. All of the guilds have already expressed interest in another bout. We have learnt a bit from this one and the next contest would run a bit smoother I think. There has been talk about 20 attacks, 30 attacks, different rules etc. I leave it up to the pirate community to decide what they want.

Christy, Tiger Claw, Jonesy and 3 others like this.
  13. Capt. Sharky

Capt. Sharky First Mate

Big thanks to @awbo aka Captain JJ, for putting this together. It was the most fun we've had in a rumble, in a long time.

awbo likes this.
  14. deePS77V8

deePS77V8 Crew

I heard that it was a good time. I wish I could have gotten in on this one, but I was in a wedding and would not have had the time to give it a proper go. Hopefully I will be able to get in the next one.

15. roycejames

roycejames Crew

I'm not sure I would want to do more than 10, it was intense enough!! :confused: But I would love to do it again, it was a blast!
    Thank you, once again, to everyone who helped organising it. ;)

Capt. Sharky and awbo like this.
  16. Mad Max

Mad Max Crew

Agree! It was blast, but very intense. It was hard to get 10 guaranteed bases. Maybe 15? 20 might kill me!

17. Mad Max

Mad Max Crew

But always willing to give it a go!

18. Gintonic

Gintonic Powder Monkey

I wasn't in the last one, but will definitely join in the next!! Sound like it was a lot of fun