Why can't we get instructions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Super-Nor, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

So it has been over a year and I have done a whole lot of analysis myself but it is getting really really tired.

Why does Midoki not simply tell us what each pirate does? Does it seem like too much to ask to have some instructions for these guys?

I am so routinely frustrated by witch doctors, bombers, and now legendary pirates because I have no idea what is making them do what they do a lot of the time.

I find myself raging when I use Annabelle and she just shoots across the map to a random gunner yet again, and earlier when I watch bombers simply not bomb walls.

Every little robot pirate has a set of rules. I just want to know what they are. I don't want the community to guess what they are. I want the developers to actually tell us the facts.

Raptelan, SaK, Burnz and 1 other person like this.
  2. LYM

LYM Captain

i just play and mix them up. just do what works

3. SaK

SaK First Mate

Yup...need a wiki of all the troops!
    Don't think Midoki has time for all these!

4. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

Why should the devs tell you exactly how the AI behaves?
    Figuring it out and learning to (ab)use it is what makes the game fun/challenging.

If you're still surprised to see Annabelle zipping off to a lone gunner and haven't figured out that maybe you shouldn't have lone gunners when using Annabelle then I don't know what to say to you.

5. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

I disagree that reverse engineering the program is what the program is about. I have been doing that for a long time and I am tired of it, especially when the little robots get their programming changed overnight.

and I don't remember seeing too many battles where there was not a lone gunner somewhere taking out the stupid corner outhouses or some other lone to reach building.

6. John56

John56 First Mate

I play a few Supercell games and they do not explain the troop AI either; it is up to the individual players to explore their use and arrive at workable strategies. Since those games are more mature and have a larger player base using the forums, the troop AI has been examined and critiqued much more than here; however, even with that the troops are still frustrating to use at times and will do unexpected things during an attack. I guess a little unpredictability in the AI also lets the defense win one occasionally too...

7. LYM

LYM Captain

there is a plunder wikki anyway, isn't there?

8. SaK

SaK First Mate

No

9. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

Yes, there is a wiki.

http://plunderpirates.gamepedia.com/Plunder_Pirates_Wiki

But I do not think providing a product without instructions and asking the end-users to create those instructions is a valid way of operating a business. This especially becomes nullified when the product is changed without warning.

10. SitFlyer_

SitFlyer_ Crew

Most, if not all, wiki's are provided by users. And that wiki hasn't been updated in a year or so..There are others and they are similarly not updated.
    Maybe you should join a guild and get advice from others.

11. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

I should consider joining a guild. :)

12. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

Erm - I think someone needs to re-tick 'show signatures' ;)

Ultimate Sea Dog likes this.
  13. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

You're not reverse engineering it, you're figuring out how troops behave.

Ok pro tip: instead of sending the lone gunners to the corners at the beginning of the fight, save them for later as a clean up crew.
    That way Annabelle has no lone troops to teleport to.
    I believe @SitFlyer_ 's comment means, join a guild where members share intensely profound wisdom like what I have given you just now.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Blueberry and peg-brain bob like this.
  14. lady blackbeard

lady blackbeard Captain

Super has been a mentor and leader in Bad Piggies and Wild Piggies. He is about as knowledgable about A1 as anyone anywhere. Telling him to join a guild for help is absurd. Please have more respect for this veteran player.

15. # Johnny Doe #

# Johnny Doe # First Mate

I'm pretty sure @Super-Nor has not only found that guild but actually helped in founding that guild.
    He was in Bad Piggies when they claimed #1 spot in the global guild ranking :cool:

16. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

I guess it is. He has the forums for that.

17. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

@c00ni
    Great high PR. Best of luck with those walls. My high PR was only 790 and I am not going to see that anytime again soon. I bumped to 618 recently but a single loss destroyed my PR and desire to continue up the ranks.

The whole purpose of the thread was to ask why Midoki does not just tell everyone how the pirates work. Some people may figure some things out and others may be completely in the dark but it seems like the company providing the product would at least provide an overview on how they work. I have been playing a long time and am just tired of that aspect of PP. Maybe it is the same in other games like this, but in the real world people expect instructions.

18. Beck [Midoki]

Beck [Midoki] Designer Staff Member

@Super-Nor if we told you how they worked, you wouldn't have the fun of figuring it out for yourself ;)

This community is excellent at figuring out parts of the game, and you guys constantly astound me at how thoroughly you analyse things, coming up with strategies and ways to maximise your effectiveness. I personally would hate to lose that by giving you a list of "if X then Y" for all the pirates. It would take away the challenge IMO :)

c00ni and # Johnny Doe # like this.
  19. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

20. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

Well people post pretty good strategy here but it seems to get drowned out in all the bitterness and hate.