Why can't we get instructions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Super-Nor, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

I know @c00ni- I've used my lone gunners as clean-up crew when using Annabelle. But all I want to know is WHAT her Ai looks like and why she likes hanging around with lone gunners like a complete idiot.

2. ChocolateGiddyUp

ChocolateGiddyUp Powder Monkey

It probably wouldn't be such a big deal if recruiting costs and wait times were not so high. Lowering this would allow for experimentation.

3. Skye

Skye Commodore

I believe there should be a balance here. Most if it you can figure it out on your own, but sometimes it would certainly be nice to see a dev chime in with a use case for a particular thing. Like Blackbeard's special - it does very low damage at the moment with a long stun, whereas boomer's doesn't have a stun. What instance would Blackbeard's special really be intended for? He does more damage faster by attacking manually!

Most of the pirates are pretty easy to figure out. But I'm sure a lot of the design had specific ideas in mind for when something would get used, and hinting at "well while other uses exist, this is the initial idea behind it when we initially thought it up" and just a hint of the philosophy behind why a pirate is made the way it is might actually open up new strategic ideas, rather than limiting us. Especially when it seems everyone is struggling figuring out a use for something you put so much effort into making.

Maybe not a "we want you to use this pirate to do this" but just a general hint of why you made it the way you did, and why you made the design decisions you did. Not an instructional, but rather a behind-the-scenes sort of extra that might give us ideas.

Super-Nor and lady blackbeard like this.
  4. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

5. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Balancing is always a tricky subject, and truth be told, we tend to err on the side of caution as it's generally better for players to buff (increase) a pirate's damage/toughness if in hindsight it's found to be too underwhelming, than to nerf (decrease) a pirates damage and/or toughness if they're overpowered. ;) It's also worth remembering that some of the Legendary Pirates will be better in defence, so may be slightly lower powered compared to others that are weaker in defence. That said, Blackbeard's No Quarter damage has been increased considerably with today's update. ;)

With AOE damage abilities (such as Romeo's and Blackbeard's) the idea is that you do damage to multiple targets, instead of just focusing on one, making it easier for the rest of your pirates to clear that area.

I may very well do that. ;)

Skye likes this.
  6. Beck [Midoki]

Beck [Midoki] Designer Staff Member

@Raptelan I'm sorry you feel that way, I'm sure @Lynsey [Midoki] and @Chris [Midoki] would agree with me that no one here is lazy. We are actually very busy making new content for you all to enjoy :D

Skye, John56 and peg-brain bob like this.
  7. Skye

Skye Commodore

Telling you "a bomber will pick a wall over hitting a building at this scenario" is more info than I'd expect any troop to divulge. Telling you "a bomber was designed to help destroy walls and provide high amounts of damage in a chaotic fashion, and kaboom was originally intended to help you break through a thick wall the bomber might otherwise walk around" gives a lot of help and insight into ideas for how to use them, without telling us exactly what to do with them and when.

I'm very happy they've been prioritizing content, like the rumble points system and new map (with significantly higher rewards!). There will always be complaints, especially about change, but its obvious they've been trying very hard to keep everyone as happy as possible, without running out of things for us to do.

Booty isle and peg-brain bob like this.
  8. @Beck [Midoki] @Lynsey [Midoki] The truth is though Annabelle and the Witch Doctor are still pretty wonky (though WD seems a lot better). Another pretty annoying feature is dropping a pirate off at the edge of land and having them decide to swim in the opposite direction for some out of the way building. I realize that in some situations it's because said building is closer than the next target but it really isn't always the case.

Anyway, not trashing Midoki (I really enjoy this game) just pointing this out.

9. John56

John56 First Mate

@Raptelan I realize you are speaking for some of the long time players who have been here since the beginning, but I have enjoyed the game immensely over the last 100 or so days, and appreciate the new content, warts and all.
    Rebalancing the troops is and should be an ongoing thing in this game as it is in others, to avoid a troop being over or underpowered for their intended purpose. And if Midoki gave us a full rundown on the AI on each troop and made them absolutely predictable, we would soon see everyone using the exact same troop combos to take down the exact same defensive setups.
    I also think that if Midoki concentrated solely on polishing the existing functionality, and/or tested everything to death before releasing it, many PH9's would have left the game anyway due to boredom, and Legendary Pirates would still be going through pre-release testing.
    I'm not shilling for Midoki, but I do think they are trying to keep both new and long time players happy, and doing a fair job of it overall.