Why is the AI so terrible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Burnz, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Skye

Skye Commodore

I'm no superhuman :c I have had plenty of times one of my WD wander off. I bring a second just in case when I'm attacking a hard base. I don't always use it, unless I foresee there being problems (or I'm just being hot-handed). I found the 1.9 more reliable (I was one of the only ones satisfied with it) because, even though the behavior wasn't what lots of people liked, it was more predictable, and personally I want my WD to follow my juggs - but since it caused so many people problems, I'm ok with it not going back to that. On most designs I can make it work, and if it follows the wrong group, or I plan on using two groups and don't want to risk it, I just drop a second one. 115k grog on a second one when you're trying for a high rank isn't an ok tradeoff, but since I prefer playing at a middle rank where there is plenty of grog, I don't mind using one down there. I'd still prefer to be able to skip it, but I agree at the moment its too risky. I snipe a set of collectors between battles if my grog gets low, which handles that, but it still wastes time.

A second one really does help when you're in those situations, if you can afford it. Personally its more of a concern for troop slots than grog having to use more than one, but its worth having the backup.

I can't comment about his interaction with LP because I only ever bring Tinto, or when she isn't training, Sadie. Both of those I have hiding behind with my HG and Juggs, slowly lumbering in to the base (Sadie is faster but she stops to shoot, which helps balance that out), so even if he follows the LP, he's protecting who I want.

For someone who uses a cheaper army I could see it being much more difficult to go where you want, especially when there are so many more units on the map to confuse it. My army costs a fortune, but it has a fairly low unit count, and a backup WD, so its almost guaranteed to have at least one go where I want- and a spare if it doesn't.

2. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Great explanation Skye. I wonder how good the AI will be once the low end devices get kicked from the support list?

3. JT07

JT07 Crew

Hah, that will make me a superhuman too.
    I'm afraid you are mistaken as I don't recalled asking you or anyone to stop using brutes, juggs and/or LPs. I'm stating current Witch Doctor unstable AI, which it follows a lone brute, jugg, gunner or LP depending on it's mood. Whereas for ver 1.9, it is stable that it doesn't follow a lone pirate but follow the biggest amount of HP, which will be jugg and brute. So if your mix consist of either brutes or juggs, ver 1.9 will definitely follow them.
    Also, I didn't comment Bl00dbath love ver 1.9. I'm referring to his problem with the current Witch Doctor AI.

4. JT07

JT07 Crew

@Skye , thanks for the confirmation that ver 1.9 is more reliable. If current AI, requires to have or use 2 WD in the mix, might as well go for ver 1.9 as it is reliable in the sense, we are able to predict the witch doctor AI.

5. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

More horrible AI here, I could post crappy AI SS ALL. DAY. LONG. here

Here Bombers make an opening.
    [​IMG]

In go my Skellies
    [​IMG]

They go to the ship & destroy it, where do they go then? Through the opening into the base, right?
    [​IMG]

Wrong, they go the whole way around the base dragging the WD with them (for once) where he's killed.
    [​IMG]

And in through the top where they are all killed
    [​IMG]

How on earth is the red path shorter than the blue? How?
    [​IMG]

How on f@%king earth is the AI so broken in this game, why does it seem to affect me more than anyone? Every battle I do the AI is a mess. MIDOKI stop bringing out new Cannons & Towers, stop bringing out new PH levels & new Silo's, just stop, FIX THE F@%KING AI ALREADY. Thanks for the last year & a half of gameplay but I can't take the AI anymore, I'm finished playing, when every battle just makes you pissed as hell its time to pack in it. I really do hope you fix this mess before you lose everyone else.

6. Bou Regreg

Bou Regreg First Mate

@Bl00dBaTh nice evidence showing how bad the AI has become. I agree, Midoki needs to stop adding new content and fix the serious playability problems like the AI.

7. Ian

Ian Commodore

Whilst I can appreciate the angxt that this is causing; It would appear that Midoki is "damned if the do and damned if they don't..." as, If they stop creating new content to concentrate on fixing bugs they would come under as much fire.. And given that members are against gems and supporting the cause, then we put them in a difficult situation..

Skye likes this.
  8. Jillycut

Jillycut Powder Monkey

My thief pirates run past storages to try to go for one a lot further away and behind a wall. Yes, it's irritating.

9. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

The horrible WD knows no end....

Here's two standing with Sadie while the rest of my crew gets slaughtered
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's so annoying when this happens, wish I could say this is the first time it's happened. It's just ridiculous that two WD will stand beside 1 crew member when there's a whole island full of crew to choose from. So stupid.

JT07 and Colonel Forbin like this.
  10. Skye

Skye Commodore

that definitely doesn't look right at all, as much as I defend their behavior, that should not be happening

11. rhorun

rhorun Crew

Skyraiders also seem to have the habit of flying over walls only to turn around back to the wall to scramble out most annoying and very cowardly

12. Pirate Bee

Pirate Bee First Mate

Tired of my bombers going way out of their way instead of through the walls like they are designed to do.

850arrr and HornyQuokka like this.
  13. Burnz

Burnz Captain

Blood, I stopped using Saddie anywhere near a WD, the WD always sticks with her.

14. Burnz

Burnz Captain

@Bl00dBaTh Same thing happens to me when I use Sadie, I just thought I would show you. It is so stupid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Bl00dBaTh and JT07 like this.
  15. The two items are different aspects of the game which should be under different team members. New defense levels are essentially new art with some stat differences. AI is behavior which should be a different person. There shouldn't be any major conflicts to doing both at the same time.

The main difference however is that unit AI is the core of action of the game. Making sure it works at least sensibly should be one of the highest priorities. Unless you think simcity and time delayed monster hunting lottery are the most fun aspects of the game.

New content which are not a game changers are essentially just decorative/minor stat changes. Important to happen regularly to keep loyal players happy but shouldn't be an obstacle to keeping the game running.

850arrr likes this.
  16. JT07

JT07 Crew

@Burnz and @Bl00dBaTh, nice screenshots on the current Witch Doctor AI. Just so that you know, Sadie is not the only LP. Black Bart and Blackbeard too. I had the prefect replays for them to see and log-in a ticket but they took too long to reply and check and the attack logs was gone.
    Just a while ago, 2 of my guild members posted replays of the Witch Doctor protecting the LP.

17. Skye

Skye Commodore

To be fair to the devs, every time stats are changed, they have to be re-balanced, and all the AI has to be re-tested under the new stats (since wall HP changes will change how units path around them), so there is a lot more than just "new art and increased stats".

I'm sure they're doing as much as they can to improve AI within the limitations of the older devices they are supporting. New content also has to be added regularly enough to keep long term players from getting bored. I'm always sitting with absolutely nothing to upgrade for months at a time between updates, and its this period where endgame players get bored and consider quitting, so if it takes too long to add new stuff, even if the AI is improved, those players are going to leave because even if the AI was perfect they have no use to attack often anymore anyways.

And last time there was a major AI change (WD had its AI changed), a lot of people that were used to the old behavior complained about it, it was the most common complaint here on threads, and I understand why they would be hesitant to introduce any other changes. Buggy or not, players are used to certain behavior, and if they change the behavior to stop those bugs, players will be upset.

SitFlyer_ likes this.
  18. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Ohhhh yes, bombers are so key to getting thru walls that it's easily a loss when they skater like idiots, God I hate them.

HornyQuokka likes this.
  19. WinstonCOV

WinstonCOV First Mate

That's essentially the problem ... you need an army that costs a lot and takes a long time to recruit just to compensate for erratic AI. An easy solution is to cut the recruit times dramatically. A 45 minute recruit is too long for me to wait in game and too many gems for me to play regularly. The more I log out of the game, the easier it is for me to forget about it.

20. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

After the update & this still happens? For GODS SAKE FIX THE BLOODY AI!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

I had to drop the second WD because my crew were getting slaughtered
    [​IMG]

And where does he go? Stands right beside the other, complete joke.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's just a joke, I have to totally stop using Sadie now, using her is costing me battles, it's sad that using certain LP's will cause you to lose battles, they should help you win, not cost you victory. Shame on Midoki, shame for leaving the AI so broken while they fixate on new crappy content (pink walls?).