Witch Doctor Fix - Cast your vote!

Discussion in 'Battle Improvements' started by Becker Redbeard, Jul 9, 2015.

?

How would you prefer the WD to prioritize his protection?

1. By largest total number of pirates

77.8%
  2. By largest total amount if damage (could favor same size group of bombs over guns)

4.8%
  3. By total HP (hit points). The current AI which weighs heavily to protecting the Juggs and Brutes.

3.2%
  4. None of the above. I will post my brilliant idea below!

14.3%
  1. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Even with 2 WD's I'm still having trouble as the first ones dies so darn quick the second one goes to the same spot and dies again. The constant switching of groups is maddening as well, I want him to hang back, protect my large group of gunners while the juggs and brutes pull the fire...it ain't rocket science Midoki as it worked with the old WD just fine.

Also if you wanted the WD to protect your juggs and brutes with the old WD you could launch him just after the jugg and brute deployment....what am I missing here. We lost a big choice with this new AI bs.

Daddy P likes this.
  2. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Rather unfortunately, there's an element of truth to this (much like when we had to knock down the hitpoints of the defences with PH8, as players were, on average, finding it too hard to win attacks). I've played 100s upon 100s of max level battles and not had any issues with the new Witch Doctor AI, because it perfectly suits my play style - I switch around the damage dealing composition a lot, but tend to keep the core of tanks (Juggs/Brutes) and WDs around a similar number. However, we obviously want people to be able to use a variety of play styles and crew compositions, so there's always the possibility of future tweaks.

Scar Face and Booty isle like this.
  3. Booty isle

Booty isle Captain

Near future I hope.

4. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Thanks for the reply. What was wrong with old WD AI where we got to choose who the WD followed by deploying him right after said troop or group? We had a nice choice, now there is no choice as the WD goes where he wants.

I see that this new AI sure helps your style but there are many of us that it doesn't. My entire guild HATES the new WD, yes HATES it!! That's 50 people all with different styles of attacking and not one likes it. Then you read the forums and there are multiple post about the same thing where the entire guild thinks its wrong.

I please urge you to tweak the AI to better suit these other play styles or at least tweak it back to the way it was.

Scar Face and awbo like this.
  5. Booty isle

Booty isle Captain

I can't stop thinking about how much I want to watch you in action. Can you please post us an attack video you are truly proud of? This could put an end to this whole argument. Let your video sway all the nay Sayers. ;)

Scar Face likes this.
  6. Bear

Bear Commodore

Could we get some dev run youtube battles to watch highlighting different troops?

This would help educate people, as well as be good publicity for the game!

Scar Face likes this.
  7. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

^^ I'm guessing this is against their policy or we would have seen them by now.

But agree that seeing them would be very beneficial.

Scar Face likes this.
  8. @Lynsey [Midoki] what is your strategy with the WD? What are we all doing wrong when he is deployed and 'moonwalks' all over the island and gravitates towards the red zone of a GP? Please help us all understand.

Scar Face and 850arrr like this.
  9. bucket

bucket First Mate

If the WD AI is changed, I think it should choose to protect gunners, HG, and skellwags over any other troops. Brutes and juggs are ment to take damage so the protection they need is lower than other units. Bombers are just to fast and crazy for the the WD to follow. Finally who uses the priestess everytime so the WD going to protect her wouldn't be wise. I also understand though, that if the WD only protects the gunner, HG and skellwags it may be hard for a base to defend if the attacker has maxed troops.

Scar Face and 850arrr like this.
  10. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

You are likely to hear that they use multiple wds. I've always only used 1 cause of the cost and 1 worked just fine under the old ai. The more I play around with troop deployments in the new era, I'm drawing the conclusion that 2 wds may be the minimum for them to be truly effective. So, a downside is that your grog haul will have to be very high. A challenge if you rank up at all. And using 2 won't stop the problem of the first running to the juggs to die so that the second then leaves the secondary troops to go die at the spot of the first's death.

850arrr likes this.
  11. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

I'm in the same boat er ship in using only one WD with the old AI. Now a minimum of two is needed and even then its still a crap shoot whether or not you get them to do what you want. The devs with their simulations most likely don't have a need for grog or gold and just keep playing till their fingers get tired. Though with us players we do care about how much these troops cost because its not easy making headway some times.

Scar Face likes this.
  12. Booty isle

Booty isle Captain

Chris, I think what hurts most is the fact that so many people here were asking for many changes to the ai before the last update. Everyone noticed a Small problem with the WD doing weird ONE OFF Things such as the wd walking off to random corners. These were one offs. However, many many ppl complained about the bomber and heavy gunner not performing to expectation. These complaints drowned out all other complaints after the gunner ai was fixed a couple months ago. Now with this very long anticipated content release we were all so happy to see things change. Unfortunately, this new update had a dramatic change to the most important 1 pirate u use in battle and the heavy gunner and bomber are still Far from adequate. We did not need a third unpredictable pirate added to the tavern. Please please fix this. No one in my top 20 guild is happy about this. Please fix.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    850arrr likes this.
  13. yeti

yeti Captain

I think not to listening to your consumers (payers and players) is a huge error in judgement, despite whatever studies, theories and expertise you have employed. For any aussie players, think the Glad Wrap debacle, lol

14. Barbed

Barbed First Mate

"Tanks around the damage units" strategy worked bad when bases were overpowered (it was update 1.4.0 right before Ching Shih). Mortars took out any heaps of units protected by WDs. The only way to take max bases was distraction mortars by tanks from the main attack(s) under WD with careful timing. And it was fun to play. If current max army is enough to be simply Thrown-in-a-pile (thats the name of this "strategy") at right place than we are back to that Ching Shih "fire-and-forget" times when any base may be easily taken by any player and as for me its the worst that might happen with the game.
    I belive you make your 100s not due to WD AI but despite of it - just like I do now with new perks...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    Skye likes this.
  15. Mr. Brown

Mr. Brown Crew

The new witch doctor may work for some, but this change made me stop recruiting them. His shield is pointless as he follows a brute or jug and does'nt protect the troops I place him next too. Whoever came up with the idea of following the most hp was only thinking of their attack strategy; it's not a useful change.

850arrr likes this.
  16. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Glad the lone gunner issue was resolved.:rolleyes:

# Johnny Doe # and 850arrr like this.
  17. Christy

Christy Commodore

I can almost already see a bug or exploit with a different toggle for each WD :eek: although I do like the idea of one toggle and it carry through to each WD being deployed.

850arrr likes this.
  18. Stranded Pirate

Stranded Pirate Powder Monkey

My little vote just wants the WD to go back to the way it was before the latest update. *curtsy*

Becker Redbeard, 850arrr and Daddy P like this.
  19. DamianWars

DamianWars First Mate

There seems to have been a switch to the MO of the WD. I don't know what it was but I just like how it used to be. why would the WD protect 0 range units with lots of hp and commonly used to draw out fire. He just ends up dying quickly. He needs to be hanging back away from the front lines... He's no use dead.

850arrr likes this.
  20. Stranded Pirate

Stranded Pirate Powder Monkey

I barely use the witch doctor anymore. Disappointed.

850arrr likes this.