Anyone found the recent update unhelpful?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wss5112, Apr 18, 2015.

1. wss5112

wss5112 Powder Monkey

In terms of bug fixes and AI improvements, any comments?
    I personally found gunners still being brainless...and I lost a good fight if that didn't happen at all.
    Sorry to disappoint my opponent.

SaK likes this.
  2. Evil Rastlin

Evil Rastlin First Mate

Yes I agree, I found the gunners even worse now after the update. If their plan was to nerf the gunner, I think they are on the right track... :(

SaK likes this.
  3. wss5112

wss5112 Powder Monkey

So true...actually they buffed the gunners for brain damage...Please don't do that DEVS, we don't want the furtherance of the situation.

SaK likes this.
  4. SaK

SaK First Mate

Yes...gunners are now walking like dead zombies w/o any brain...

Actually whenever Midoki fixs any bug, they actually bring more bugs than fixing! I am used to it now.

And dont want to talk about ERRANDS anymore, they are just useless for me...i have stopped doing them.

Evil Rastlin likes this.
  5. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Powder Monkey

@ Sak. Is there anything you actually like about the game?

Darth Yoda and Salty Snack like this.
  6. SaK

SaK First Mate

Its my personal opinoin...
    Dont get personal...stay on thread topic pls.

md-da44 likes this.
  7. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

One of our top players, who has stuck through everything and never complained too much, finally quit due primarily to the gunner problem and continuation of the age-old replay bug. I have also avoided complaining much and have actively encouraged supporting the creators of this game and giving them time to address the issues. I still feel the same about that. And on the bright side while Errands are hopelessly boring and mindless, at least they make it easier for people to upgrade their academy in a more timely fashion thanks to providing additional BP.

That said, I am appalled with the lack of quality control on Midoki's side. The replay issue should have been fixed months ago, now we have an Errand that mocks it instead. The guild ship introduced a pile of new bugs that are still present, and a lack of completeness surrounds several key features of the game. These are not difficult for testing to identify before release, and things that make it into the release should be the priority to fix before any other development efforts. We don't need new features added to a buggy foundation - we need a strong foundation first.

I support Midoki and love the game despite the problems, but I think it is absolutely critical that they start focusing on fixing all the bugs first, before continuing to give us more features with new bugs. Fixing replays alone would make such a huge difference to player morale!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  8. Tex

Tex Commodore

Well said. I love this game too and don't plan on quitting anytime soon. But I would much rather see bugs addressed before any new content is added.

9. SaK

SaK First Mate

This is the maybe BESTEST post i have ever seen in many days...every word speaks for itself! Every word is true!

10. Becker Redbeard

Becker Redbeard First Mate

+1
    Correction of bugs over new features. Adding errands is much easier coding than debugging replays and AI issues, but it does give the appearance of not having proper priorities. Every player I know would vote bug fixes over the bits of free bp and resources.

SaK and Evil Rastlin like this.
  11. SaK

SaK First Mate

TRUE.

12. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

It's not one or the other though - the guy working on errands isn't the same guy working on AI and replays.

We'll always be working on bugs as and when they arise, but we're still going to be rolling out the new features we've got in the works over this year.

Bear and Spongee like this.
  13. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Perhaps they should be? If there is a guy working on replays (which haven't shown any perceptible improvement in months), he is clearly not having success and could use some help. Why not have the people working on new features focus on bugs for a while? Yes it might mean they are dealing with an unfamiliar part of the code but they will learn from it and you will end up with a stronger development team that knows your application better...

Regardless of who does what when, I would really like to see better testing before release, and I think that is echoed by a lot of players.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Becker Redbeard likes this.
  14. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

I think the bugs affect every member to a different extent. I would suspect those that analyze every detail of an attack are driven crazy by the bugs. The casual player or less intensely analytical player is affected far less. The bugs rarely even get a mention in our guild, except maybe the occasional wayward WitchDoctor. I understand there are bugs driving a great many players bonkers. At risk of getting an expected backlash of rebuttals... I think the majority of players are affected to a far lessor degree and would welcome new content over replay improvement or other bug improvement. I seldom hear guild members clamoring for replay improvement. I do hear them clamoring for guild wars, new pirates and new content.

Let me add, it is my opinion more players would quit the game due to lack of new content than lack of bug improvement. Keep both new content and bug improvement coming hand and hand. Thanks Lynsey for explaining how the Dev team works.

*Cap'n Sparkle* likes this.
  15. Bear

Bear Commodore

That was pretty insulting to the team... They have already said that in a test of over 1000 replays they only had 2 errors and they knew what they were and we're fixing them.

Have some respect for the work they are doing.

Cap'n Creeperb likes this.
  16. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

I do respect what they do, please read my first post on this thread before getting all offended. I watch replays regularly after battles as I share them, and honestly, maybe 10 out of 1000 match the battle I just had, certainly nowhere near 998 out of 1000. Since you aren't playing the game actively right now, perhaps you don't know how bad it is, but it is very real and very obvious. I personally do not care all that much about it, but I am not blind and can see that many do. I am also not insulting the team by suggesting that they follow the same practices that development teams I am and have been a part of follow - it's something I have seen work and ultimately help deliver better quality software to market, which is good for the customer and the company.

17. Bear

Bear Commodore

I have read the whole thread, and I never claimed that the live version was thst good they said the testing they did was internally and would be in one of the coming updates. It's not live yet

Edit
    Sorry. I'm sick and a little grumpier than usual. I realize that not everyone reads the entire forums. I only found fault with you saying whoever does the replays hasn't been successful when it had been posted recently that they in fact are having success and are close to a fix.

Raptelan likes this.
  18. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Well I apologize also for coming across as being insulting, as that was not my intention! I just figured that perhaps if somebody had been struggling with it they would use some assistance - a fresh pair of eyes if nothing else. If I am struggling with something at work, I would appreciate help, not find the offer insulting, and that was my thiught when I write what I did. I also have not seen the post ou are referring to, but that is great news to hear! Could you share a link?

Sorry to hear you're sick and hope you feel better soon! At least in time for the Android release... ;)

Bear likes this.
  19. yeti

yeti Captain

20. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

I can't remember which thread it was, but basically we've got a machine that is dedicated to monitoring battle divergences on all of the different servers (dev, QA, live, etc). On our dev servers, we were rarely seeing any divergences at all (think we ended up on 2 in over 5000). However, we have tracked down an issue where Revenge attacks will nearly always lead to an incorrect replay (confession time - nobody had been doing Revenge attacks, just regular ones).

EDIT: Beaten by yeti!

Ian, Raptelan, Bear and 1 other person like this.