Buccaneer VS Gunners?

Discussion in 'Battle Strategies' started by Edward Kenway, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Hajkja

Hajkja Crew

I love bucs, they are cheap, quick and for farming you can play non stop for hours on end.

However the range of the gunners beats buc and I hate to say this as I love bucs. So for real battles use gunners over bucs.

I'm ph6 now and use 10 jugs, 1 voodoo, 2 bombers, rest gunners apart from 3 bucs (just because I love them)

Captain Hakjka likes this.
  2. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I'm just about to go to PH7, and I haven't used bucs in a single raid since PH4, but I DO use 10-15 of them to help fill up my ship quicker and cheaper. Other than entertainment for the town bar wenches, that's all they're good for. I also stopped upgrading them at L10, to keep them quick and cheap to hire.

My raiding party varies, but on average:

7 Juggs (L5)
    8 bombers (L13)
    1 Doctor (L2)
    3 Thieves (L12)
    27 gunners (L18)

3. Cap'n Creeperb

Cap'n Creeperb First Mate

This works for me at the moment:
    1 Frank
    3 Brutes
    22 Gunners

4. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

I used a lot of buccs before, but I recently changed to gunners after I maxed them for Ac 5. They do 52 damage, buccs only do 28 ;(

5. Bear

Bear Commodore

Gunners for the win. But usually I will use both. But always more gunners than bucks.

6. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

just upgraded my kabooom skill for the bombers. they take 4 days lol. but that is good. Its the last for ac5 after all

7. donkeykilla

donkeykilla First Mate

Worst skill ever btw. Oops, sorry...spoiler alert.

8. Kizmatti

Kizmatti First Mate

I'm currently using
    10 Bucs - full Lvl 5 upgraded - 600 grog each
    6 Brutes - full Lvl 5 upgraded - 1,200 grog each
    31 Guns - full Lvl 5 upgraded - 800 grog each

38,000 grog army just under 51 minute bake time. Or 25 gem rush

I have found this is the strongest army you can get for the grog / time / gem costs.
    This strategy doesn't work on Lvl 6+ walls surrounding the base, a few jugs / bombers need to be trained for that.

Lay down Brutes to get the attention of defenses.
    Lay down Bucs & hit their special - basically for added chaos/confusion, cannon fodder.

Then lay down 31 Guns across the beach line and watch the base drop in 30 - 45 seconds lol.

Usually rake in 500,000 - 750,000 per raid.

It's paying the bills

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    QueenCandy and Hajkja like this.
  9. Hajkja

Hajkja Crew

Thanks for the info, looks like my love of a bucs will reach new heights, I will definitely try this setup

10. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

My opinion:
    Depends. If you are an Acad. 1 with low-levelled pirates, well, it's Buc-oriented since Berserker is nice and everything. Later you will see that Gunners are good too. And don't forget to upgrade your Academy! Bomber and Sky Raider at Acad. 3 is quite nice. Note: I'm PH 4 with a Acad. 3 and max Gunners and Bucs (for that level). My Brute is training a Toughness Boost now.

11. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Anyway, my army is Buc and Gunner oriented, with Sky Raiders and a brute to supplement it. I have 3 WDs all the time.

12. yeti

yeti Captain

I reckon there might be a more subtle way to increase your post count ;)

13. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

There is no earthly scenario I can see where you need 3 WDs at your current level. *I* don't even use that many, and would only use that many in a very select few circumstances.

Guild chat is full of people who have a lot of insight on good army makeups. You should avail yourself of that resource. :)

And please stop replying to long-dead threads. :)

holashorty, Ian and Christy like this.
  14. Captain Hakjka

Captain Hakjka First Mate

Darn it I got really excited when I saw this thread and was hoping for some positive Buccaneer strategy.

As well as this thread, Long dead are the Buccaneers may they rest in peace.

Only thing of interest was I was Ph6 in Nov 2014, memories lol

15. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Lol, no kidding.

Well, if it's strategy you want, then bucs are still viable. I kill...er...use a ton of them on my ship on fishing trips (50 Bucs, 7 Gunners, 2 Brutes or Juggs) and to swarm easy loot on baby bases when I'm needing a quick army, or just feeling like giving some poor random player an interesting replay to post :)

16. Captain Hakjka

Captain Hakjka First Mate

Are you taking out bigger fish with them Kelani?