Guild ranks

Discussion in 'Guild Improvements' started by The Fish Eyed Pirate, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Is it just me, or do more plunderers find that there are too less guild ranks?
    There is:
    Captain, First mate, crew and cabin boy.

I would like to see at least one more rank. I now have a hard time rewarding members in my guild. Because there aren't many ranks. Maybe add a quartermaster? (as myself I have co-ownership of the guild but there are more first mate's then just me.

Also the feature that a crew can kick a cabin boy is in my opinion not justified. I would like to see you have to be at least a first mate to promote, demote and kick someone.

Maybe your guys are already working on it or at least considering it. But I didn't see anyone mention it before.

Cheers!

Mocon likes this.
  2. Admin [Midoki]

Admin [Midoki] Administrator Staff Member

If we had a new level, what would their role be and where would they sit in the current hierarchy?

Mocon likes this.
  3. Captain -> Leader
    First Mate -> second in command (can promote, demote and kick, maybe also in the future see statistics about guild members)
    Quartermaster -> can promote and demote
    Crew -> no specific function (except salary upgrade, more free cookies)
    Cabin Boy -> the guys who clean the boat. Entree level, no functions

Mocon, Tumba and Bear like this.
  4. Admin [Midoki]

Admin [Midoki] Administrator Staff Member

I will see what can be done :)

5. Can we have an option of sending messages to members of the guild who are not active? Just to remind them to play more often.

Mocon likes this.
  6. Barbozia

Barbozia Powder Monkey

I think (at least for open to all or public guilds) that the ranking should be earned/maintained. Maybe based on a combination of the pirate rank, perks contribution and guild chat activity.

I have been on my current guild for about 3 weeks now, with a high activity (of the addictive kind ) and I haven't seen the captain active nor moving in the ranks.

I don't want to change guild becuase I already made pirate-friends.

This is basic pirate code, if the captain cannot lead the crew, he needs to send off board or sacrife to the kraken.

It can be also a takeover option through a guild voting session.

Mocon likes this.
  7. Bear

Bear Commodore

This is excellent! Just perfect!
    #EDIT.
    First mates should be able to update the message of the day. Maybe quarter masters too.

Mocon and The Fish Eyed Pirate like this.
  8. Mutiny in pirates! That will be interesting. But here should be a strong and tangible incentive for becoming a captain of a guild. For example, it doesn't matter to me if I am a captain or a cabin boy. Apart from the designation itself, there is no other reward. But there is a lot of responsibility.

If there were guild wars and the plunder amount was divided in such a way that captains got significantly higher share of the plunder, then there would be an incentive to become a captain and create an uprising/mutiny/rebellion/treason/sedition. Otherwise, going against my captain would disrupt my guild unncessarily.

The concept is interesting but there should be some reward (Monetary, more pirate points, more experience points) to being a captain. Then it will mean something.

In any case, I don't think game developers will include an option of 'Mutiny' in their game.

9. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

+1

10. Agreed!

11. Barbozia

Barbozia Powder Monkey

It could be a guild related benefit. Like extra blacksmith or stonemason points. Or less contribution, like the captain never pays.

Mocon likes this.
  12. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

13. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

Agreed too...Especially since the price gets so high at highr BS levels.

14. One-Eyed Willy

One-Eyed Willy First Mate

Perhaps have the ability to accept incoming requests to join the guild as well.

15. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

My take on the roles:
    Captain -> Leader of the Pack. Kissing hands and shaking babies...no that's not right
    First Mate -> Actual leader - takes all the crap, but has the power to dish it back out. Trusted adviser to the Cap'n. He decides who to let on the ship and who to throw off the side.
    Quartermaster -> Takes more crap, can decide to promote or demote, and he can let new crew on the ship.
    Crew -> Takes more crap. Job at stake at any moment. Grunt of the team. Likely donates a lot to perks and not by choice.
    Cabin Boy -> Who now? Oh yeah, the guy with the bucket. Let's call him bucket!

16. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

See History of the World - Part I, the "P**s Boy" - Cabin Boy

17. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

See it? I own it.

Tumba likes this.
  18. He kinda looks like the King, doesn't he?

19. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

20. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Here's my take on what guilds need.

I agree with extra ranks, even if their only purpose is to reward people who actually make the guild fun/better. Some other common ranks are: Sailing Master, Boatswain, Master Gunner, Mate (1st and 2nd, on multi-mate ships) ABS (able-bodied sailor), Powder Monkey and Swab/Swabbie*

*Please change cabin boy to this or something else. My female pirates DO NOT like being called cabin boys.
    (or cabin-anything else starting with B)

Ideally, each Captain should be able to assign permissions to each rank as he sees fit. Where one captain may want Crew to kick/promote/accept/reject, another may not. If that's not an option, I recommend these permissions:

Captain: Everything, obviously.
    First Mate: Everything, including MOTD edit, but can't promote a first mate, demote a first mate, or kick other first mates.
    Quartermaster: Can promote/demote/accept/kick up to crew rank.
    Crew: Can accept/reject new members, and kick cabin boys, if enabled by captain (alternatively, set up a voting system, where kicking a cabin boy takes a consensus of 3-4 crew. This would let crew get rid of someone spamming chat, but decrease abuse of the kick feature)
    Cabin Boys: They get to sit there and look cute (and suck up to the higher ranks).

Many problems can be avoided by not allowing anyone to promote/demote/kick anyone of an equal rank, i.e. Crew should not be able to promote to Crew, or demote to Cabin Boy.

In the actual guild mechanics, there've been plenty of features suggested, but these are my favorites. Most desperately needed is at the top.

1. Last active date for each pirate in the Guild Roster
    2. Tell who is doing any promoting/demoting/kicking in chat, and in the Guild Notifications, in case someone spams to get the evidence off the chat log.
    3. Ability for Captain/First Mate to send a notification to all members, shown when they sign on. "ex: "please stop by chat to discuss our strategy"
    4. First Mate has ability to edit MOTD
    5. Chat history needs to be longer. I think it's 32 messages now? Make it more like 75-100. That way people can see what chaos happened overnight.
    6. Make it so people can only request to join a guild every 10-20 minutes. When they send requests to dozens of guilds, it doesn't give the guild time to respond. Only the last request is active, so you have a lot of people stopping what they're doing accept someone, and it doesn't work. Alternatively, make it so if a person applies to another guild, the previous notification goes away, or shows a red X, or something.
    7. Add a tiny Visit icon next to each member's name in chat. Clicking visits their town.
    8. When you tap a member's name in chat, it pastes their name in the message box.
    9. When viewing towns from the Guild Roster, Return should take you back to the Roster, not your town.
    10. Ability to invite a player to your guild, or contact them if they're accidentally kicked for some reason.
    11. On the Guild Roster, show each member's join date.
    This would be helpful for knowing who's stuck around the longest, and also for people who promote by seniority.

The last ones are bold because they're trivial features that are very helpful, and I REALLY WANT them. :)

edit: added #10
    edit2: added #11

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Mocon and MorganFlint like this.