is a new ph the answer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Booty isle, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Rabbitnes

Rabbitnes Powder Monkey

2. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Captain

:pI'm just hoping it's not pink!!! Lol :p

Yeah, I agree! This game needs something new!! As @Darth Yoda said, if it wasn't for my guild mates, I would've probably bounced months ago!!:eek:

850arrr likes this.
  3. Skye

Skye Commodore

PH11 is definitely needed though, because with nothing to upgrade, there is not much point to play. I've never really enjoyed rumbling, and once all my stuff is maxed, there is very little point to log in outside of rumbling, and the last month or two before the next PH upgrade I always feel super burned out. Although farming 60m grog to get all troops upgrading when a new PH comes out also makes me feel burned out, I can do that once, then take a break for a couple days while they train before having to do it again, so that is a bit more tolerable.

I'm hopeful that PH11 will add some new exciting aspect to gameplay, even a new unit or structure, so things are at least a bit different than how they were before. I'd love a new map to explore, and 6 new LP to play with. But those are all temporary things as well that just put a bandage on the underlying issue - once they're all maxed out, after the novelty wears off, there is nothing left to do. I'm hoping that by the time PH11 novelty wears off, we will get a different content patch with something new to do.

I believe more events are planned, like guild-wide ones, which will be exciting, but they are too infrequent at the moment. Optimally every week or at least every other week would be a different event, so that there is ALWAYS something to do. A slight break between them to recover maybe, but always something going on or about to start. I wish they'd start offsetting the times a bit on them as well, as its been pointed out to me that thunderstruck isn't particularly fair to certain time zones, since if the only time you get to play is after work before going to bed, and storms always occur at the same time each day, you may never get to play when there is an actual storm.

But what is most desperately needed is something that isn't just based on grinding out tons of attacks, something to make things interesting, something purely strategy based that doesn't feel like a chore. Thunderstruck is just a 4 hour gem grind for me at the start of the week, and then putting off LP upgrades for 6 days while there is no grog. Its more interesting than normal game play, but its still just "grind out the same attack 80 times".

Something I suggested a while ago, which I think may have been considered at some point, was to add a weekly challenge island, something significantly harder than normal bases with increased defense limits (like how some map islands have 3 mortars), and you'd have to find a way to 3* it. They could give you a specific army you had to use, or you could use your own and try to do it with the least slots or least grog or fastest battle time possible, any sort of challenge like that. It wouldn't matter what, but then it would be a challenge not revolving around "how many times can I do the same attack in a short period of time" and rather a "how well can i do an attack" with a new puzzle to regularly solve. Players could possibly suggest designs for future islands.

Guild wars would be neat if they finally show up as well, and I'm hoping they are implemented in a way that isn't just "how many times can you attack the same island before its over". Whats killing me is the lack of variety, there's only so many times you can do the same thing before the tedium wears at you. I love this game, I won't abandon it until it finally closes down, but the incessant grind is wearing a lot of us out.

I also agree that global PR board should be brought back. Its not something I personally enjoyed either, but it would definitely help many others that do enjoy it.

The last thing I wish they'd do is make it easier for new players to get into the game. I've brought this point up before each of the previous PH levels - new players have to play for months and months before they're high enough to join any active guild. I wish they'd streamline PH upgrades for the beginning levels of the game, up to at least PH7, cutting the cost and build time on things significantly so that new players could get to a point where they could actually participate meaningfully. The main argument against this was "we had to tough it out, so they should too." But when we had to tough it out, there wasn't new things to get to and other people were at the same level, so it didn't matter how long it took us, as the game was newer and you didn't get excluded from things for being slightly underleveled. The real argument against it is "new players are more likely to spend a ton to catch their PH up, and that revenue is critical to Midoki", but I feel that if more players got up to a competitive level faster, they'd still spend, but they'd be spending on playing the game rather than catching up, and because we'd have a larger pool of higher level players, it would be more people for those of us stuck at the top with nothing to do to play with.

There is one guild improvement I'd like to see, to help those newer players. I think guilds should have the ability to restrict the minimum PH level that can apply, and for players to only be shown active guilds that they are strong enough to join. This would be fairly simple to implement, and it would make it a LOT easier for new players to find an active guild that would actually accept them. Being able to join a community is key to this game, and with the older playerbase dwindling, every thing we can do to make it better for new players to join is extremely important.

I'm sure I'll get negative feedback on a lot of these points. But I hope the reasoning behind them is considered.

Kamikazemug, captaintau, Fil and 10 others like this.
  4. Hawkbeard

Hawkbeard First Mate

I agree with everything you said @Skye.

5. Dog Breath

Dog Breath First Mate

Syke ,agree, agree, agree

6. Lorent.113

Lorent.113 First Mate

Nice @Skye, i am agree

7. SuperCow

SuperCow Powder Monkey

No negative feedback until now @Skye and I think that will stay this way :)
    Just one point: what I enjoy at games like Plunder Pirates or Boom Beach is the "building up"; at the beginning the upgrades are not so expensive and the upgrade time is ok. I improved my island every week and its "the way" that I enjoy, not the destination. I don't think it's fun to rush trough this way,

8. Madhouse

Madhouse Crew

I agree with you Skye, but also think that the top guilds could be open to take in and bring on maybe 1 or 2 lower level players.

Mobotts and Lorent.113 like this.
  9. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

I completely agree with you @Skye and many others here. There just isn't much new or exciting content in this game left to play. Yes, there are rumbles, there are events occasionally, and what really keeps me in it is the community and the team part of the game, but we need something new, maybe other than a PH to bring this game some life. What I've noticed is that we as the player community WANT the game to get better and propose such wonderful ideas, and we haven't given up completely on the game yet. Which is wonderful. I just hope Midoki really listens to what we say, and has something in the works, because sooner or later, this hope that we have for the game to improve may completely die out, and they will be losing players that spent money, that were veterans of the game, and were precious. As it is an online game, it somewhat runs on the players and the activity, but I think Midoki should really step up, and at least attempt for a new concept. Something that brings us back into the game. It may be glitchy, laggy, buggy at start but seriously, NEW CONTENT. We need it!!

Mobotts, Tex and Madhouse like this.
  10. acersharp1

acersharp1 First Mate

2 things...
    1. the 'good guilds' are too stuck up by controlling EVERY SPOT THAT JOINS them because they care about rumble wins so damn much...this easily kills any newbie because after they join 3-4 dead guilds they quit the game assuming it's dead...we need to interact and engage newbies, not destroy their spirits ASAP

2. Can we get some major rewards for reaching high PR, like 800, 1000, dare I say 1200 or 1500...not too sure what the all time high was, but we need that to be the ultimate goal...daily rewards for leaderboard king (s)/queen(s)...FOR EVERY PH LEVEL....

I'd love to see how far someone can push PH7 or PH8 until it's time to upgrade...

Captain Dack likes this.
  11. Poppa Bob

Poppa Bob Crew

Really? REALLY? This is just a GAME!! It's got little comical characters. It's fun to attack other bases not a grind. You've all outgrown this game. You all want to upgrade upgrade upgrade? What ever happened to game PLAY? Maybe what you all want is game console level game akin to Halo or possibly this: Team Fortress http://store.steampowered.com/app/440

Captain Dack likes this.
  12. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Captain

Errrr???

cmooneey likes this.
  13. Mobotts

Mobotts Captain

Acer, one thing I've seen recently is the older and higher ranked guilds expanding to allow in low leveled players. Elite, Pirates United, Wench Pressers, Red Flag... All have guilds that will accept lower leveled players. Most of us who have been playing this game for two plus years realize that it will completely die without new islands coming in and have made modifications to that nature. You might not find a spot on the top 1-10 guilds, but most of them have notes in their descriptions telling you that they have other guilds who will help grow little bases. It's just a matter of talking to members.

I'm with Taco though, if it wasn't for the amazing community and my guild mates I likely would have stopped playing this months ago just like I did COC. I might stop in to do an event but I doubt it.

I simply hope that Midoki listens to some of the amazing suggestions that have been made

McQ, Ian, Tex and 2 others like this.
  14. Ian

Ian Commodore

I agree with @Mobotts all the good guilds are able to accomodate the newer members and encourage these members to progress up through the various allianced guilds and find a level that suits their lifestyle.

As for the original comments, I feel this game is more than just upgrading and winning... It was at the start, but for me now it's about the guild/s, the friendships and watching new members grow, improve and develop. Am not sure I would have lasted 2+ years without the support of my friends here.

Regardless of the content of the next upgrade.. It's the members that make this game what it is...

awbo, Ilythia, Darth Yoda and 4 others like this.
  15. Poppa Bob

Poppa Bob Crew

Just ranting about some of the negativity. I've only been playing about a year and a half so I have a long way to go as far as upgrading. But the fun part is attacking - but not just throwing everything I've got at a base but experimenting with different troops and trying different tactics. Upgrading is only part of the package as I see it. As is community - it's interesting to see comments like @Ian 's talking about the guilds, they do add a lot of depth to the experience. But once you've upgraded everything to the max it's time to either terrorize the neighborhood, experiment or move on. It's only a game after all - with limitations. Some folks come off like it's a way of life. Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm enjoying it for now. I got this far in CoC got bored and left - not even close to that here. Every kid has a favorite toy out of a box full of them. Plunder Pirates is just my favorite toy for now. That will change I'm sure. When it does I'll find a new toy.

Ian likes this.
  16. cmooneey

cmooneey First Mate

I think part of the difference is, and has been the amount of core players in the game. In the two years I've been playing this game I've been in several guilds, even one with @Ian. I've seen people come and go for different reasons including the way their guild handled their demeanor towards the others players. The pool of resources that have been created by some players like @Skye and @Bear on the sidelines to encourage and help other players to grow, to me is unthinkable. The bonds have built the community of people that care so much about the future of this game.

So if you think back a year or so ago, updates were on regular one month intervals. Everyone was upgrading, there was a range of bases and levels, maps to be explored, academy to be maxed, occasional new building, newly introduced at the time RUMBLES and then on top of all that we had new PH's coming to us just as quick as we could upgrade. People were excited and guilds were growing and battling for dominance. We all had the misfortune of the "minis" during rumbles that aggravated everyone. BUT... Midoki kept us in the loop. They (@Lynsey [Midoki]) were part of the community giving little hints and teasers just to keep everyone exited enough to come back to the forum everyday to check for a new clue and discuss something other than the game falling off.

So now everyone is maxed and after 250-300 rumbles and some of us reaching around 20,000 battles and it becomes tedious. Yes you can just walk away of course, as with anything. But a lot of us have given time, money, energy and passion to something so silly as a little pirate game. I think that's why we want to state our case here. Asking for something new and sharing our idea's and perspective on ways to reimagine the game so that we too can continue to play the game with the same excitement we had a year ago.

It sounds as if PH11 will include 1 new defense mechanism... I can sadly assure you that isn't enough to keep people playing. I hope there is something new and exciting in this update... something people will personally NEED to play for. I imagine our next update after this would be roughly around Halloween. So will it be Frankenbrutestien and decorations, or will it be a chance to get those ever so glorious costumes for gems on the trade ship that is underutilized?

Like many have said I think this update will be the make or break for most players...

17. Poppa Bob

Poppa Bob Crew

I think you're right @cmooneey. So the answer to the original question here is "NO". Every game has it's limits. Every game gets stale after a while. Too many upgrades and the game will outgrow the platform and become unwieldy.

18. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Captain

Well said!! Couldn't agree with you more!!

cmooneey and Mobotts like this.
  19. Someone here said it well but let's have colors more reflective of pirates. Pink walls just don't say pirate.
    To keep people interested in this game means that the game needs something that will be different on a weekly basis or something like that. The events are a step in the right direction, just take that kind of an idea and keep thinking bigger Midoki.
    Being part of a guild (team) also keeps people playing so make players in each guild able to trade with one another. Would be great for even more interaction between members.

20. toast_factory

toast_factory Powder Monkey

I've been playing quite a while but just casually. My kids and I were in a guild together and they got bored and I just kept on. So I don't have any real guild experience but I did enjoy the game, the graphics and exploring the maps. I am ph10 but defenses aren't maxed. As a very casual player, these are the issues I feel like I'm facing and the reasons why I may not continue playing:

The battle points requirements to upgrade the academy are ridiculous. I am a couple thousand shy of being able to upgrade to level 9 and the last several big fish I've attacked have given me none. I don't upgrade or buy legendary pirates because I'm desperately trying to save the 40k. I've nearly maxed all the voodoo hut pirates so soon I will have no place to spend grog.

Saving loot for the casual player is almost impossible because whenever I get a decent amount I'm losing over a million in a single attack, sometimes attacks that leave me with only a two hour shield. Because of my almost constant exploration looking for big fish I have been dumping gold into walls. I don't feel like I am progressing at all. I finally did get my silo upgraded but most everything there is useless to me as I can't spare battle points to upgrade pirates. I feel like I'm just ignoring one part of the game.

Now we are getting a new ph which seems like will make a lot of people happy, but all I can wonder is will there be another academy upgrade? Will I have to save 50k next time? Do I even want to? I enjoy the events and the exploration maps and want to delve further into what the legendary pirates have to offer, but I feel like I'm stuck in a loop which is keeping me from really playing. I've finally reached a place where I don't know if I can stand it anymore. I feel like I'm just continually doing the prep work of getting ready to "really play". If there is a new academy level that requires bp for an upgrade and it comes along right as I finally *finally* get this 40k saved, I don't think I can go on.

It was great fun for me for a while, but sliding into chore territory due to bp requirements.