Rumbles: Good or Bad. What was your experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kelani, May 22, 2015.

?

Did you profit from the rumble?

Poll closed Jul 22, 2015.
  1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    74.4%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Especially since that is impossible. 50 member limit, lol.

One of the guilds I mentioned has a mixed PH 3-8 roster, and is far from the Top 100. I think they enjoy Rumbles even more than my Top 25 guild, and certainly benefit more from the rewards.

2. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Come on, man. You know I'm talking about multi-guilds. :rolleyes:

3. Roserio

Roserio First Mate

Great Point,
    and even for the capatains...

for few days, yes we met novice guilds and had some fun & gain,
    but recent update,

now we are challenging with high leveled guilds..
    and now we are 3rd in rumble.

this means less rewards, and doomed future ahead..
    and no gems.
    And I can see that i'll have to spend every 5gems..150gems in month..
    and this is too much if i don't have chance to win always..

Why all gems burden to the captain only?

Hope Midoki is open ears..
    which this comment is not only my problem.

Christy likes this.
  4. Bear

Bear Commodore

AG is definitely a middle ground guild we are not normally on the leader boards, but we get on them pretty easy if a few members try.

We have a guild of mixed PH lvls, but mostly 8s. Though very few are maxed. We have decided it is better for us to just do 3 a week since we had members getting hit too often.

So we are still testing.

Rachael and Kelani like this.
  5. Although RFF III is part of an multi-guild alliance with guilds on the leaderboards. We are far from it (somewhere in the 1000)
    We have members mixed from PH 3-8. Most are PH 5. The majority of our members are fairly new to the game <75 days.

Still they all try their best. Some even stayed up the entire night the first time and might have set an record of # attacks within 24 hours. (Yes Matthew i'm talking about you, you psycho:D)
    We have a clean win-streak. That motivates my people even more. And of course that makes the rumbles a lot more fun to play.

donkeykilla and Raptelan like this.
  6. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

That wasn't clear actually. Alliances have no special advantage in rumbles though.

7. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

I agree with Rapt, no special advantages to the alliances, at least not that we have been able to capitalize upon. You can't move players in after a rumble starts, so no loading up against another top team. All the guilds want to win them. So multi-guild alliances are faced with decision do you bring strong players into the weaker guilds to help them win and sacrifice losing a rumble in your top guild. Or move stronger players out of the weaker guilds causing them to lose. Either way, some we will win and some we will lose. We have decreased the frequency of the rumbles also. People are taking them too competitively to run them 24/7, starting to stress some of the players out lol.

Ian and Raptelan like this.
  8. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

@Raptelan @Spongee

No offense, but you guys seem to have missed the point I was attempting to make here. :) Whether there is an advantage to alliances or not is irrelevant. However, there absolutely is a disadvantage to the majority of "regular" guilds. :) I only mentioned alliances/ultra-active/competitive guilds because that's who's been replying to this thread saying Rumbles work great! They don't need any changes! Well, of course they work great for those guilds! They'd work great for any guild having higher standards for participation. My point, again, guilds like that are a minority. Daily Rumbles are detrimental to the vast majority of players who are less-active and advanced.

So, here we have a feature, which in its current form is of limited use for the majority of players. That's a problem.

Most guilds in this game will have a sizable proportion of casual players who:

-Are unable to play for hours each day (or even play every day)
    -Are less advanced, i.e. still saving for expensive upgrades.

Running daily or even frequent rumbles opens those members to more attacks, and they will suffer a net loss. This greatly slows their advancement, and causes frustration, especially if they happen to be in a guild where the captain decides running nonstop rumbles is a good thing. Yes, they can always leave, but again, these people are the majority here. If say, 50% of the player base has no choice but to guild hop searching for a guild that doesn't rumble, that's stupid.

So, while rumbles as-is may work great for the most-active guilds, the majority of guilds who are less-active can't do that. Their only option is to A) not rumble at all, or b) do infrequent/scheduled rumbles so that the casual players have enough time to buy whatever they're saving for, or otherwise make themselves less of a target. This isn't an ideal solution, so changes need to be made to rumbles which allow less-active guilds to participate with the same frequency as everyone else.

And a side note to an unnamed person from elsewhere in this thread: I resent the implication that our issues with rumbles are because I don't know how to manage my guild. We aren't ultra-competitive, but we're pretty damn active. The casual players we do have are representative of the majority of people who play this game. When they tell me that our rumbles are making them lose 80-90% of the loot they spent days obtaining, I have a big problem with that. Saying "You should just tell those people to be more active, or boot them and get more active players" is ridiculous, and shows a complete lack of understanding of the issue.

Bear likes this.
  9. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Really? I'm pretty sure that this is what I wrote, in fact:

"One of the guilds I mentioned has a mixed PH 3-8 roster, and is far from the Top 100. I think they enjoy Rumbles even more than my Top 25 guild, and certainly benefit more from the rewards."

It's not ultra-active nor competitive. It is by definition a "relaxed"/"leisurely" guild. It is a very average guild and PH8 members are a rarity. Players are booted only if they don't log on to the game for a week. Many do not log on daily. They *love* the rumbles. The captain waited a couple days since the first two before starting another, and a mutiny darn near broke out as a result. People want the extra rewards.

If you don't like it, don't use it. No problem. Don't make the mistake of thinking that your guild represents the "99%" that you claim, and that everyone else (the vast majority of whom do enjoy the Rumble feature), is the minority. This is a competitive game, so as a rule, most players, regardless of their level, are competitive. It's also an evolving game - you have to evolve with it or give it up for another along the way.

Just read the whole thread and don't see anything of the sort. Are you referring to me? Because I implied nothing of the sort.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  10. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Yes, telling the majority of players "Don't use it" for a much-desired, yet flawed feature makes perfect sense. Surely the game will only benefit from that.

The fact you don't consider that a problem amazes me.

11. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

To quote my last post:

"Don't make the mistake of thinking that your guild represents the "99%" that you claim, and that everyone else (the vast majority of whom do enjoy the Rumble feature), is the minority."

This is not "Guild Wars", which is what I assume you mean by "a much-desired feature" - this is but the first installment of several guild competition features that are in the works.

12. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

The vast majority of players are casual. Do you dispute that?

Casual players get slammed by increased raids from frequent rumbles. In its current state, the feature is not beneficial to them. I've spoken to several casual players not from my guild, and they felt the same way.

Doesn't matter whether it's guild wars or not. It's a major new feature, which many of those players may want to take advantage of, but can't/won't, due to its current limitations.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  13. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

When I mentioned we would run the rumbles non-stop in our less active guild, everyone was like "great", even members from the more competitive guilds wanted to participate in the daily rumbles. When one of our more knowledgeable members pointed out that you suffer a new loss in resources during the rumbles, all the guild heard was "blah, blah, blah" and kept asking when the next rumble will start (we delayed continuous rumbles in our less active guild while we debate how best to handle a guild issue). Also, that guild suffered their first loss. When you don't get the top prize, it does change perspective on the rumbles. I image for those only getting 65BP for participation, it is probably an unenjoyable experience losing that much resources and not getting any rewards to compensate. I think what Kelani is saying is probably accurate for many players, but most just don't care yet. They are still enjoying the novelty of the rumbles at this stage. Would be nice if the rewards were upped a little more, to better compensate the 2nd-5th place guilds for losses sustained during the rumble. Again, our guys don't care about that yet, but I am sure there will come a point when they are trying to save enough for upgrades and the rumble is delaying getting that upgrade started.

Raptelan and Kelani like this.
  14. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Well said, @Spongee :) We're getting people clamoring for them as well, so the novelty definitely hasn't worn off. And admittedly, the situation I'm talking about isn't going to strike everyone, but yeah, once a player sees their loot go from 5M to 1M overnight due to a rumble, that does take some of the shine off :)

The workaround we're testing now is to run one every four days. This gives players three days to dispose of their excess loot, and puts each rumble on a different day of the week, as not to affect anyone whose playing time doesn't mesh with a fixed schedule. Hopefully this will make everyone happy. :)

15. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Depends what "casual" means. But the majority of guilds with more than a handful of users, are competitive. IMHO, the vast majority of players who care enough about playing the game to join a guild that isn't dead/inactive, are competitive. Some are less upgraded than others. Some are less skilled than others. Some have less time to play than others. But I believe the majority of these players are competitive. This is by nature a competitive game.

If that is true, then I am sure Midoki will learn of it through their analytics, not a speculative forum post, and make adjustments and future decisions accordingly.

16. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Players also have the ability to opt-out individually, it's called shields. They allow you to sit back and just collect rumble rewards and collector income. A whole lot easier to save up while shielded now! Not to mention that rumble losses, like any other losses, incur free shields, albeit at the cost of some lost loot.

17. Christy

Christy Commodore

+1 for the 150 gems per month captain pays. I honestly don't mind it since I almost always have some gems on hand (usually for tavern recruiting) but not every captain is going to want to have to buy gems to be able to rumble daily. It would be nice if there was a way for members to donate towards rumbles, they same way we can donate towards guild perks.

Raptelan and Kelani like this.
  18. Ian

Ian Commodore

A "Guild Perk" is an easy answer - attach it to an existing building such as the lighthouse and requires the donation of gems. This balance is then used solely for the funding of rumbles.

Kelani and Christy like this.
  19. yeti

yeti Captain

You're assuming that the attacks result in a shield. I win the vast majority of defenses, so lose millions in the process without gaining a shield. Sure, I could throw my PH out on its own for a guaranteed shield, but sitting on a shield would mean I'm not helping my team yet still being counted in the numbers, so there's no win/win to be had. If they get the matchmaking closer on numbers, this becomes a bigger issue and why opt out would be helpful for active players who want or need a break without letting their team down.

awbo, Kelani and Bear like this.
  20. Captain Hakjka

Captain Hakjka First Mate

@Lynsey [Midoki] and the team at Midoki.Just wanted to say that so far Rumbles is a complete success. (Subject to all the improvements we will obviously come up with lol) The debate is hot on the forums and ingame in the Guilds.

Back to the thread, British Bulldogs have also experienced being at the losing end of the Rumbles and complaints about lack of Grog, Gold and farming opportunities which means the match making is starting to work!! Tactics are starting to be discussed, the amount of Rumbles a week etc to maximize the fun and winning opportunities for all. Im starting to think this is what we have all been asking for for a long time a form of war and we have it, each guild will handle the Rumbles differently, enjoy the fun

Raptelan likes this.