The game chat to end all chats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bear, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Sage advice. I should also point out that you can be a member of multiple teams on Slack, although you can only use one at a time and have to toggle between them. I would be happy to try joining the team you have created and see what the experience is like being on multiple teams! I will PM you my E-mail...

Bear likes this.
  2. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Oh man, being on multiple teams at once is a breeze...everyone should join Bear's even if they create a private team for their guild. :)

hidyhorum and Bear like this.
  3. Bear

Bear Commodore

The chat is going great so far and growing every day! We have about 10 guilds represented. If you want to join just pm me your email address. Or talk your captain into joining and let him add your guild to the team.

TBird and Raptelan like this.
  4. hidyhorum

hidyhorum Crew

@Bear actively testing at least at BF4. Love the features.

One thing, if pic uploaded on android side, it makes iOS side crash if trying to scroll up pics uploaded in general chat. Have you run into issues like that?

Also, I noticed it doesn't compress pics uploaded like groupme does. Which can be good and bad. Right now not so good.

5. Bear

Bear Commodore

We haven't had any reports of crashing.

TBird likes this.
  6. Tex

Tex Commodore

I am really enjoying this app too.
    But sadly must report I'm experiencing crashing also.
    Running on iOS and viewing Team Captains Log, if I try scrolling to the beginning of the chat history, it crashes midway there. Every time. Just closes app. Anyone else have that issue?

7. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

I was able to reproduce this (in iOS app only, does not affect other versions), and reported it. Slack support has been great from my experience so far. It seems to be an unusual edge case and so far I have not seen it anywhere else. If you need to see the full history, you can use the web version (from iOS or computer) to access it as a workaround.

8. hidyhorum

hidyhorum Crew

Was doing some more testing.
    I wondered about adding a calendar event like one on Groupme, but found that it didn't have a native one.
    It's a bit complicated but found a workaround.

1.Create new Google calendar for your guild.
    2. Link that said calendar to IFTTT.
    3. Add recipe called "if Google calendar, then slack." This triggers event reminders before it happens.
    4. Set which Slack channel you would like this in.
    5. Make a test event on Google calendar, set an alarm/notification. At this point, it will trigger and the IFTTT bot will post to your channel with whatever you put as an event.
    6. This took a few minutes to go through all the servers/ traffic. So I'm guessing it's best to set event 10 minutes to an hour before the actual event time.

7. Profit.

Let me know what other stuff you guys find.

9. Bear

Bear Commodore

I already have the calendar recipe set up in ifttt. It's nice.

You csn subscribe to rss feeds natively in the app. So we have a channel that notifies us when there is activity in the announcement section of the forums.
    @Raptelan added an app monitor that posts live reviews of the app when they get posted on the app store. Also in a dedicated channel. We also added Giphy integration for quick and easy Gifs in chat.

Plus the slackbot responses are cool.

TBird and hidyhorum like this.
  10. Bear

Bear Commodore

Oh, and we have Google Drive integration for easy file sharing.

TBird and hidyhorum like this.
  11. hidyhorum

hidyhorum Crew

Yeah. I'm thinking this is definitely a keeper.

*Cap'n Sparkle* and Bear like this.
  12. Bear

Bear Commodore

Updated the original post with a list of guilds already represented. Come join our already thriving community!

TBird likes this.
  13. The Slack team is SUPER supportive! They respond to emails BLAZINGLY fast. This is my FOURTH chat app & when scuttlebutt was we're going to another app I was "UGH! NOOOOoooo!" After less than a day, I'm a convert :)

Bear likes this.
  14. hidyhorum

hidyhorum Crew

Just wanted to add for those of you just starting to consider Slack, it can be a little confusing at first, because of so many features.
    But, once you get settled in a couple hours and look up what you can do with it, it is amazing!
    I really don't think "guild forum" is necessary as everything is searchable, divided into "channels," and conversations tend to be more engaged, since it is both catching up and live.

Google calendar integration for events and important dates. (make a 2nd dummy google account if you'd like)
    Google drive integration for file sharing,
    IFTTT integration for those of you slightly more inclined, to trigger actions.
    The "slackbot" auto replies that are customizable. i.e. I use it trigger a reply with a link to recruitment thread when I simply type, "recruitment thread" in chat, dm/pm, etc.
    Make custom emoji's for those all important Pirate emoji, and Kick/boot emojis for you know what.
    Can post gifs! can be good or bad. You can turn it on or off.
    and Now thanks to bear, rapt and everyone who participated, there is a space for entire PP community if you choose to join.

Sorry, Not going back to groupme. in current state.

Just wanted to touch more on my opinion of not needing a guild forum.
    1. general questions are answered with more audience here in midoki forums.
    2. Play videos posts can be embeded into a part of guild website. (also on "strategy channel" that you created in Slack.)
    3. Playing guides can be both found here in midoki, and saved as doc and shared in google docs as integration to Slack.
    4. Just in my day to day experience, nobody checks guild forums anyways, with chat apps, ingame chats, and midoki forums.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Bear likes this.
  15. hidyhorum

hidyhorum Crew

but, DOES have read receipts for DM's!!!

16. hidyhorum

hidyhorum Crew

oh, and this command: @everyone
    for captains and first first mates.

Forget trying to add everyone to a post with longer commands in Groupme.

17. hidyhorum

hidyhorum Crew

At least on Android, I see a tiny little "read" in grey under your sent/read message.

18. Bear

Bear Commodore

Yup, I'm on Android and I have read receipts for DMs

TBird likes this.
  19. Bear

Bear Commodore

Dang... I really wish I had wifi so I could use the desktop client...

TBird likes this.
  20. Bear

Bear Commodore

Updated the OP. We now have 16 guilds represent in chat!

TBird likes this.