Thunderstruck event...bravo PP!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silver Beard, May 12, 2016.

1. I am really enjoying the rain and the event... Bravo Midoki!

cmooneey, Ian, peg-brain bob and 9 others like this.
  2. Urdrlaev

Urdrlaev Powder Monkey

I'm really enjoying it too!! Congrats!! the idea was pretty, original and unexpected!!

3. CapeMorte

CapeMorte Powder Monkey

I wish I could agree. I'm not enjoying this event nearly as much as the last one. As original and well executed as it is, I'm coming up against the same old problem of being put up against islands with a pirate rank near mine but a hall and defences far above the level of my own island and the fighting abilities of my pirates. I'm having to cycle through dozens of islands before finding anyone I can stand a chance of one starring, let alone three.

4. John56

John56 First Mate

You will only see Pirate Halls in a range of plus or minus 2 levels of your own. There should be plenty of islands for you to attack. However, if you have neglected your Academy and troop training, yes, it will be hard to compete in this event.

5. CapeMorte

CapeMorte Powder Monkey

My Pirate Hall is level 8. My army is fully trained. I just went to attack and cycled through 23 islands, all of which were level 10 with maxed out walls and defences, all of which ranked at about 280 compared to my 366. There are islands I can attack, obviously, they do exist, but they're tricky to find at times.

Normally, it's something you just suck up and get on with, but in a time-limited event, it's more frustrating than normal.

WePillageYou likes this.
  6. John56

John56 First Mate

Your PR is likely too high then. Try dropping to about 201 and battle in the 201-300 range. I am a PH 9 and see plenty of PH7's and 8's when I am scouting, as well as 9's and 10's.

7. CapeMorte

CapeMorte Powder Monkey

*Nods* I'll give it a go and pass on the advice.
    Thanks John!

(And Midoki Team, despite the fact this event hasn't quite hit my buttons, I do want to emphasise how much I like the graphics and the execution. it's really well done, and maybe John's advice will have me loving it before long.)

Silver Beard and Beck [Midoki] like this.
  8. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Yes, drop your rank and you will have a better go at it. Whenever I get in to the 600's I start having to skip a lot of bases to find a juicy one but when I drop down to say the 300's I have a lot more to choose from. I'm PH10 with almost maxed academy 9 troops.

9. Sure... No different from any other day as far as that challenge goes

10. I like the rain graphics a lot... Will miss it after the storm passes

850arrr likes this.
  11. Bl00dBaTh

Bl00dBaTh Captain

I'm never going to finish this event, I finished the first one, there's no way I'm going to make it to 45k. It's far too high, in order to get this you have to gem like crazy & get 100% in every battle.

the Hornet likes this.
  12. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

I would love nothing more then to agree with you here, but I can't.

I set out on a personal goal to win this event without using gems. Well... I dropped a total of (31) <----- Completely meaningless amount and should be able to achieve 37,000 Thousand tokens by end of today. This means I've been GLUED to my chair almost every waking moment. I'm not getting any quality sleep, but I'm damn certain I'll finish this.

I'm not the most skilled player and could never match some of you in battle, but I have drive and determination. Most my wins are only in the 600 token range and many battles I've only won 2 Stars. Most of us know by now that getting two stars is like taking a knife through the throat.

This event is very time consuming (not necessary difficult) for non-gemmers, but reasonable and fair from how I see it.

Midoki needs to make money and they did some really good engineering to balance this event for both parties.

TiGeR

13. Ian

Ian Commodore

Agree @Silver Beard I am enjoying the rain event as it adds a different perspective to the game and requires a variety of different strategies. I would also support @Tiger Claw comments; 45k equates to only roughly 6.5k/day, very achievable without gems but does requires a sustained approach and finding a PR level that gives enough points and a regular supply of achievable bases.

I have reminded my members in our alliance that this is not a race and if you are after the resource chests, then you only need to reach 28k (just over half way); for those after BP then 37k is the goal. Finishing is not critical or important. Learning to adapt and change strategies (farming, storms and fine weather attack) as required is the key.

14. Darth Yoda

Darth Yoda First Mate

I agree with @Tiger Claw and @Ian this event just needs planning. In my case approx 5,000 on each day I work and 10k on each weekend day. The balance will be made up over the 7 days. It will be tight for me but will get there. I have used about 70 gems so far and have not lost any sleep. Great event, very good balance between time and target. I have not made 100% every time, as my guild will attest from my grumblings, but my failings will not get in the way of having fun.

awbo and Ian like this.
  15. Enuthral

Enuthral First Mate

To make this even happen for you, you need 6500 pp daily so it is possible to do it. At ph 8 I'm averaging 400 PP which means a minimum of 16 attacks.

WinstonCOV, John56, Ian and 1 other person like this.
  16. Red Privateer

Red Privateer First Mate

@Tiger Claw and I have touched on this in a different thread. I agree you CAN complete this event without the use of Gems, but it requires a great deal of time, which many of us do not have. Fortunately, I have a Costco with iTunes gift cards on sale, and it's cheaper than therapy.

On the plus side, I think props are definitely due to Midoki for a creative take on game play and a beautiful graphic implementation of that vision.

On the minus side, this event seems to cater to only a certain class of upper level player. Either elsewhere in this thread or in the pinned Thunderstruck Event thread, a player noted his child plays this game, but is at a much lower level and said child's score reflects that. Compare this with the Sir Henry Boggs event, which had a broader appeal.

On a personal and minus side, my perception is that attacks during Thunderstorms were (a) harder and (b) less lucrative. What this ultimately meant to me is I limited my attacks to OUTSIDE of storm, but OTOH, I now have a Ghastly Goatslinger... (Now to finish training my HGs...)

Ian and Tiger Claw like this.
  17. Ian

Ian Commodore

@Red Privateer agree, although possible, this event was aimed at encouraging the buying and spending of gems to reduce time and I certainly don't hold that against them. To develop and maintain a game of this quality costs money and I am more than happy to contribute my share given the years of both enjoyment and frustration it has brought me. Am glad to see the 20% gem discount was thrown in at the right time also, so no complaints here.

As far as catering to the higher levels, I have no issue with that either. There needs to be some incentive for members to put the time and effort into developing their layout and their skills. After the 'mini' episode last year, am all for weighting this and future events in favour of higher level members.

850arrr and awbo like this.
  18. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

And for that little extra something, we added 24/7 rumbling to event when we usually rumble three days a week. Yes gems were used but not any more than usual, for me at least.

19. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

Don't need to necessarily finish the Event, although most players on the forum already have or wish to. Seriously, 45 000 Tokens just gets you a cool outfit, and another reason to whine for some players, as always. :rolleyes: Of course, it has its benefits, but it's not something massive and very appealing for most players, and that's why I really like it. For lower level PH or just causal players, they aren't missing out on anything extraordinary and game-changing; just a unique souvenir of Thunderstruck. I think the Event was really well planned, and executed nicely, so props to Midoki. Just end the era of crazy replays! :eek:

WinstonCOV and 850arrr like this.
  20. Red Privateer

Red Privateer First Mate

Hi. My name is Red, and I am a Gem User...