Tortuga Nest vs Wild Piggies Fun! Oh wait....

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Kelani, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Since both our guilds have an... "Irate Avians" association, I was really looking forward to this matchup...that is until 42-strong Wild Piggies broke out their "Fluffy" Mini in retaliation to a dinky 24-person guild using a mini. So they did that, and that got them back into first place. Great.

However, after that happened, the 24-person guild went silent, and essentially became a non-issue. Yet Fluffy got reactivated again once TN got within 100 points of taking over the lead.

You guys want to protect yourselves vs another mini guild? Fine. I don't like it, or respect it. but it's your right. But continuing to use a mini when your only competition is a non-Mini guild? That's pretty lame, IMHO. Especially since this is the second time it's happened.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    cmooneey likes this.
  2. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

They're not the only ones. There are perhaps thousands of guilds like that, and even some of the best do use em. It would take forever to point out each one, but yah, Wild Piggies aren't the only ones. We're sick of minis, and have ours against mini guilds. We will win with our minis when its minis, but you will also be seeing a mini score 10 bp and call it a day when we got ourselves a nice fun rumble against what we know is a fair guild. Like currently, fighting a 3 mini-user guild with one mini ourselves, and the rest of the guild playing competitive, and we have a nice lead. Hopefully lasts in the end. Won't say that we do the best thing since we have minis ourselves, but we are fair and smart enough to know when to use em. I would rather lose a rumble and be proud of the guild than win with a mini scoring and the team taking it easy.

Kelani likes this.
  3. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

You're absolutely right. There are countless guilds who do this. And for the most part, we match those guys and don't care. But when this happens with a forum guild family that I've had the utmost respect for since their creation. it's really disappointing. Hell, I've recommended the Piggies' family to plenty of new players over the last year, and TN members even used to bump the Piggies' recruitment threads as a show of support when they were getting established.

IMO, when a forum guild rumbles another forum guild, minis should take a vacation out of respect. So what if both guilds wind up slugging it out for 4th and 5th place? At least you'd have a fun, fair fight, and that would keep the sense of community strong in this forum.

Is 30 gems really worth destroying that?

Skillzone10 likes this.
  4. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

I totally agree. Great points, and I side with you all the way Kelani. I think some guilds just get the forum vs forum guild thing wrong. Maybe it turns into a match to show another rumble guild how strong their guild is and so there can be chatter among the forums. More like an even better reason to minis, to show the opposing guild how strong you are. Although, I don't want to say too much until we get a response from Wild Piggies themselves regarding this. I want to hear their side of the story.

5. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Very true. I'd love to hear that response as well.

FTR, this makes the second time this has happened. But to be fair, in the previous rumble, the other mini guild was putting up a hell of a fight. I still think it's pretty crappy when a respected forum guild uses the "we're just protecting ourselves!" excuse to justify mini usage, (and screwing another forum guild in the process), but at least in that rumble, that excuse applied.

That's definitely not the case for this one.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  6. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

Yep, looking forward to see what's gonna happen.

7. Christy

Christy Commodore

I just lost a good member due to the fact that we lost our last few rumbles. We were up against several minis :( this update cannot come fast enough

Enuthral, bucket and Kelani like this.
  8. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

I respectfully disagree. We do care, as it's taking the fun out of rumbling. I know what your overlying point is, but let's not give the impression we don't care about mini usage in general. It blows.

Marmaladesix likes this.
  9. Bear

Bear Commodore

Well. It will all be fixed soon. This next update will invalidate the use of minis.

10. lady blackbeard

lady blackbeard Captain

Trash talking a guild during a Rumble? New tactic?

11. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

There's no trash talking here. Nor will there be.

12. Peg-Leg

Peg-Leg Crew

Before I let myself get dragged into this debate let me start by saying the following:

1) I've been pretty inactive all day with RL stuff so I can not concur or deny your version of the events.
    2) I define mini's as islands that are PURPOSELY kept at low levels

That being said, it would be hard to argue that the infamous and terribly-terrifying fluffy does not fit the above definition. But your post mischaracterizes fluffy's activity. As far as I can tell, fluffy has been offline for over 7 hours. Despite fluffy's inactivity WP continues to lead by about thirteen hundred points (1300) points.

A quick review of the active rumble stats leads me to believe that the VAST MAJORITY of the points attributed to WP has come from strong bases and aside from fluffy every other island is either someone's main island or someone's ph9 lvl secondary island.

Frankly your problem is not with the opposition but rather with your ranks.
    TN
    You have 46 players; of these only 27 have contributed to your cause.
    Your highest scoring player has 274 bp. Its a ph9 player currently ranked at 374.
    Only 12 of your members have contributed over 50bp to your score.

WP
    42 players; 36 of which are active enough to throw a few bp into the hat.
    Our highest scoring player has 536 bp. It is a ph9 currently coasting at 415pr.
    we have 27 members who have contributed at least 50bp to our score.

After all is said and done, even if fluffy's score (and that of any developing island & btw only one other exists) were subtracted from the overall tally the outcome would remain.

But -- just to take a break from the monotony that has plagued the game lately how about we make a gentlemen's agreement and enlist 3 other guilds in a no minis no gems rumble?

Tex, # Johnny Doe # and Fil like this.
  13. cmooneey

cmooneey First Mate

any screenshots? strange no one posted fluffy's current score. and you never openly admit whether or not it is a mini? the presence of a strong mini can cause the guild to give up on the rumble entirely.

14. Peg-Leg

Peg-Leg Crew

Fluffy is still there and it has only contributed 279 to the score. I realize that 279 sounds like a lot, but minis can usually do about 1k if they're really trying.

In the interest of transparency

The score is currently WP 3,634; TN 2,297; BG 1671; POS 1,464; PP 1,108

15. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

I think you got the timeline reasonably correct. I was the first to point out the mini use and then fluffy got off his leash. He had to get 250 in because his trainer had to go to bed and wanted to help us prevent a mini domination in the other guild during their rest period. We just have the one mini parked here right now you know.

We all look forward to the changes to rumbles. But doesn't everyone really just find them pointless when minis and big gemmers rule the battle. I sure do.

I hope the update brings us maxers some new interest in the game because rumbles ain't it and exploring for weeks to upgrade a LP ain't it.

I will probably stop Super-Nor and Malware islands with a total for about 400 points if I keep at it and start again in the morning for a few. Good luck to all the guilds in the rumble: Wild Piggies, Tortuga's Nest, Bloodhound Gang, PiratesOScotland, and Port Polska.

16. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

I just realized, Fluffy is a PH5! Is that even a mini?! Who has the official PP dictionary/encyclopedia? :)

We have two new players, a husband and wife with PH9/PH6 that have been enthusiastically racking up the rumble scores putting our tired old players to shame. You will see them at the top of our rumbles lately. It is so hard to keep old timers interested.

17. cmooneey

cmooneey First Mate

PH 5 in piracy for 110 days with 4335 attacks half of which are wins. I feel like that would give you enough resources to upgrade to a higher level PH.... who knows.

Bou Regreg likes this.
  18. Mickster

Mickster Crew

I'll chip in here.

Peg-Leg, ive got no argument with the stats you've posted and for the most, I agree. What you've failed to realise/state is that when a guild such as WP suddelny wips out a mini and gains an extra 279 in almost no time at all, it completely destroys the moral of the other guilds that had a chance to compete (especially when they were starting to gain on you). Players who would normally raid, log on, see that there's a mini going beserk, so they log off because they know we can't outrun a major guild who is using this tactic. Fluffy stopped and went off-line once WP were about 400 in front. It's job was apparently finished.

The final point I'll reitterate is what Kel has already stated. TN wasn't concerned about the mini in BG because as a strong guild, we believe we could have outrun them via sheer numbers. However, that changed when WP decided to counteract the use of a mini by another guild. Like I've said, it kills moral.

Super-Nor, yes, I agree they are becoming pointless. They are beginning to do more damage than good. We had a whale of a time last Thursday but that was one of the rare 'mini free' rumbles we've been in lately.

On a personal note (i.e. my opinion), It's not about winning the rumble, it's about beating certain opponents. WP fits this category so it is a shame that it's ended this way. But that's just me :D

What's done is done and TN will suck it up and move on I'm sure.

Shonda La and Kelani like this.
  19. Peg-Leg

Peg-Leg Crew

I'm baffled by the fact that no one has discussed or jumped at the idea of a mini & gen free rumble. Oh wait...

# Johnny Doe # likes this.
  20. Mickster

Mickster Crew

Be baffled no longer... I think it's a simple case of players concentrating on what has happenned, not what could happen.

It's not my place to agree or disagree with your suggestion, I'll leave that to the captain.
    However, how do we ensure that:
    a.) we get matched
    b.) the other guilds don't take advantage of our good intentions (there's some slippery characters out there :eek:)??

Other than that, as long as we could all come up with a convienient time for everyone involved then I've no objection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.