Wonky Matchups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shonda La, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

Last night, a few of us noted that when matched with players, there is now a larger attack range, as @Lynsey [Midoki] alluded to in another post. Yesterday, we figured it was +/-150. Today, I got attacked by a player 269 higher than me (i was at 585, he was 854). Whereas I understand the need to increase the range of attacks for those sitting at high (say, 750+) levels, being able to DROP 269 PR seems a little extreme, not to mention unfair. It's one thing if i get matched with a player 269 above me (i have the option of nexting that maxed base), but it doesn't seem right to have to worry about being whomped on by someone so much higher. Especially since that was one of the purposes to 'fixing' the matches to begin with. Anyone else noticing this?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    Kelani likes this.
  2. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Part of the idea is that big dogs hide down in the lower ranks and there are not enough targets for those in the higher ranks. If you don't rush your pirate hall, matching with an equivalent pirate hall shouldn't make a difference. Im okay with a wide range of pr availability. But the pr gained should be based on relative base strength and not so heavily weighted to pr. Once you get over 800, mostly all you get in a win is 1-4 pr but lose up to 20 pr. Those over 800 are largely concerned about pr.

3. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I am currently at 315, and in a test of 100 Nexts, I've matched people between 225 and 457 (-90 to +142)

Now I'm wondering what rank marks the new threshold for the huge +269 matches. A long time ago, they said it was 750, but Shonda wasn't up there, so it's obviously lower.

4. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

@Daddy P but that attack got him 1 PR point, which means he did it with the intent on getting all my loot. I dont understand how thats any better than someone dropping to rank 98 and whomping on a noob. And just to be clear, i have no problem with the fact that someone attacked me and i lost my loot. My issue is that I got attacked by someone almost 300 PR points above me. PH8 or not. Had i known that would be the case (that having a PH8 would make it a free for all), I wouldnt have upgraded to PH8 way back when bc I dont play enough (nor do i gem) to have a fully maxed base.

Kelani likes this.
  5. Bear

Bear Commodore

Well. I can see the strength of both sides of this. What we need to remember is that in one of the coming updates incentives to push rank will be implemented. This will widen the pool at the top and make attacks from that far up less frequent.

6. Bear

Bear Commodore

I don't mean to be mean about this, but it has been specualted for a long time that ph levels would affect matchmaking in some way. We all took a gamble on if and when it would happen. Now we have to deal with it.

Salty Snack likes this.
  7. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

But unless I misread the post, PH-based matching isn't even here yet. IIRC, It's supposed to come in the next update. I'm seeing PH3-8 in my matches, so this is pretty clearly still PR-based matching, just with some altered rules.

Bear likes this.
  8. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

@Bear You're not being mean about it. It should play into the matchmaking. I'm not suggesting otherwise. But there is a lot of variation in ph levels, which is mediated by one's PR. If someone just upgraded their base to PH8, they shouldn't have to worry about being wiped out by a maxed PH8 twice a day bc of uneven matching (unless they are sitting at a 700 or otherwise moderately high PR).

alebvk, Bear and Kelani like this.
  9. Bear

Bear Commodore

I still think who I said in my first post is probably hiw it will be fixed. Incentives to rank up and grow the pool at higher rank.

10. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

Hopefully. :)

11. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

The reality is most people who can be in the 800+ ranks are far lower cause there is no incentive to be up top. When you next through bases up there you see the same people over and over. So, you may still get hit by those same bases if they are ranked lower looking for loot. So it probably doesn't really matter. To be truly "fair" they would match you with bases only near your same base strength. But oh the moaning and groaning that would cause. The recent tweak Lynsey mentioned I believe just widened the pr range. As @Bear said, more robust matchmaking tweaks are in the upcoming updates.

12. Bear

Bear Commodore

I think midoki does a good job of planning long term. They play the game too. These tweaks are just part of a multiple step plan to improve the matchmaking.

Ian likes this.
  13. awbo

awbo Captain

Some data for info. I'm at 155 Just upgraded to PH6 this week. In 44 nexts I had +103 and -81 with mostly PH5,6,7. I had 2 matches with PH8s at PR 83 and 122.

Shonda La likes this.
  14. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

@Daddy P @Bear @Ian No offense guys, but you seem to have missed the point of the original post, and are getting away from the purpose of this thread, which was: the PR range you can be matched against has changed significantly in the last 2-3 days.

Additionally, it seems that these large match ranges are unfair. While at PR 585, @Shonda La was attacked by someone ranked 854. She apparently cannot match him in return, but if she could, she has the option of Nexting. Basically, the pool has been made too wide at that level. A maxed 800+ whomping a 500 is no different then a PH8 whomping a PH5. It's fixed one problem by worsening another.

We are trying to collect reports from players who are noticing matches that are much greater than the PR match range to which we've become accustomed (+- 50 points). We're not discussing the merits of PR vs PH matching, nor incentives for ranking up, nor the validity of Midoki's reasons for widening the match pool :)

15. Bear

Bear Commodore

I did address that initially I thought. If I remember @Lynsey [Midoki] 's post correctly. The range was specifically widened at higher ranges. This was needed to help the matching situation for those in higher ranks.
    In doing so there are going to be situations like @Shonda La had.

I was trying to be encouraging towards the situation by hoping it would resolve itself with the future incentives.

Kelani likes this.
  16. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

I don't think I missed the point, there are just other relevant points that go along with the OP. Yes the pr range was increased in last maintenance. Lynsey already said that. What im saying is that I am currently ranked near 850. Im usually 200 or so. So even if I couldn't hit someone at 100 while I'm at 850, I could hit them when I am at my normal 200 range. So what does it matter? Only a small handful of players venture up in the higer ranks and stay. If you are a ph8 for example, I don't see how you can complain getting hit by another ph8 no matter how upgraded. If you want to strictly stay at the OP, then yes the pr range was increased and the thread can be closed unless you want a report from midoki of the precise pr range increase.

Salty Snack, Kelani and Bear like this.
  17. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Fair enough, guys. Just seemed to be getting a bit off track here. :) This was just about collecting some PR matching data at our respective ranges. :)

It would definitely be nice to know what those new ranges are, because +300 for a PR500 does seem extreme.

Shonda La likes this.
  18. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Just checked my log. I Have several in my attack log i wiped out that were 250 or so pr below me. In the 800s, I'm seeing a fair amount of 600s.

Kelani likes this.
  19. Bear

Bear Commodore

Ask me on April 30th

Kelani likes this.
  20. Salty Snack

Salty Snack Captain

I'm at 750ish and just went nexting. Was not offered any matches below 620.

Kelani likes this.