Wonky Matchups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shonda La, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Virus

Virus First Mate

I am 900+. After change i get matched to 600+. Have nit encountered anyone below 600.
    @Shonda La it is correct that ppl attack you for loot if only 1 pr can be gained.

Higher levels always hope for much pr when attacking and use expensive troops. If they encounter a 1 pr base with a lot of loot they will take it and than scan again for the higher pr bases

I wish the 800+ pool was much larger. This can be done by matching based on ph and base development. Than big bases cannot hide anymore between low levels. But i guess that will be in next update

Salty Snack and Kelani like this.
  2. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

Obviously I don't know their algorithm but.....

Even if based on PR I don't think current PR should be used at all but max PR (which is recorded in profile). This would stop people dropping way down just to loot though I expect people farming would dislike this. Alternatively based on some function of max PR less defences you lost (i.e. legitimately beaten) rather than attacks you deliberately failed. This gets complicated though. I assume it is a proportional thing to ensure wider spread higher up rather than just +/- x (possibly expandable until minimum number in range - who knows).

Base strength and attack strength would be better. This would clearly have to be on assets "i.e. building x and level y has z points" rather than assessing quality of layout as that is way too hard and for attack strength (if wanted to do that rather than just matching bases) you can't rank tactics... Also would it be on trained troops level or level of troops in tavern/GS. I'd just go with bases as a start.

For CoC I believe clan wars are on a base strength approach rather than rank, not sure on individual battles though, think that is rank but not sure. Anyway, it would not be too difficult.

Raptelan and Kelani like this.
  3. Burnz

Burnz Captain

I'm sitting here @ 506 PR and slowly rising up. When I checked my worldwide rank, I was 47XXish. In the grand scheme of this game, that is not very many people ahead of me. I wish I would have checked when I was @400 PR, but my point is that there aren't many bases even @506. So I can only imagine that way up in the top 200 there aren't many bases (obviously) and this last maintenance was to fix that issue. @Shonda La, you are higher up than I am, so you are with the Big Boys now so you should expect to get battled by them. I don't know what your base is like, but if is getting destroyed by bases you cannot fight against, maybe you are a little to high in PR rating.

There is an equilibrium to this game, and I don't want to see some PH6 up in the top of the field, yet doesn't get attacked by any of the PH8s because of some weird system in place that allows them to stay up top. I wasn't trying to come off as rude if that did, it is just my two cents. I'll eventually get to your rank and see what my worldwide rank is and I'll add to this post.

Evil Rastlin likes this.
  4. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

Not rude at all, @Burnz, and i appreciate the two cents. :) I agree with most of what you said. I am probably too high for the defense strength of my base, which I am aware of. That being said, I'm not getting throttled by the bases that are at or near (+/-50) my PR. I will always get throttled by a 950 base, though. :) I guess i was just surprised because I did not expect to get attacked by someone almost 300 above me at that level, bc I don't see the 500-600 range as being all that high (sure, it is skewed towards the top of the bell curve, but not that far over).

@thomssi I totally agree. that base/attack strength would be better. I know nothing about game development and code and dont presume to, but it seems like that would be more difficult, whereas rank and ph level are static data points. But I have no idea what I'm talking about! :)

Kelani likes this.
  5. Tex

Tex Commodore

The problem can be addressed with two words, "Guild Wars".
    Hopefully that was next on the developer's list after Android release.

Evil Rastlin likes this.
  6. Bear

Bear Commodore

I know clash has a base strength formula. It's how they match clans for clan wars. It's probably difficult, but very much worth it if we could attack based on that.

7. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

As long as base strength doesn't try and assess layouts and just purely works on what is in the base it may be complicated but not difficult. Just assign values to things and add them up. Eg level one wall worth one, you have 25 of them, ph6 worth 50 you have one, base value = 1*25 + 50*1 = 75. Ok that's simplistic but you get the idea. Would take a bunch of fine tweaking to get numbers sensible. There is already a weighting table for doing guild rank, this isn't much different.

If you want to rate attack strength (so matching is based on attack vs defence/base strength rather than base vs base) then do you take into account troops available to attack (I.e. In tavern), strongest possible given troops you have, include gs etc. given some things do not appear to be real time server side the most static is likely the easiest way to go (I.e. Troops you own rather than finished recruiting seconds ago).

I think fundamentally it is more down to a decision on how the game wants to work. All of these basically remove the ability to drop down to farm. Is this a good or bad part of the game.....? If this is removed do you need to tweak production to compensate?

Also this is for match making. For league tables you probably still want on pr.

8. Tex

Tex Commodore

I think the problem, if only evenly matched bases can attack one another, is you will substantially limit the pool of bases to attack. For example, the universe of fully maxed players is extremely small. It would be quite boring and open other issues to hit the exact same bases and players over and over. Let's not forget this is a "pirate" game. Part of a smart captains strategy is to seek out targets weaker than his crew. Please don't break the game.

Evil Rastlin likes this.
  9. Evil Rastlin

Evil Rastlin First Mate

And also the only reason to build and gem is to be "stronger" or "better" than your competition (unless you just like making pretty bases, but those players are surely not living the Pirate life). If it changes to only like base attacks; then just stay at PH 1 and have fun raiding and playing (those 2 second Tavern times will be awesome to have again).

Tex likes this.
  10. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

So do you want drop and farm or do you want fair match. They are incompatible.....

11. Evil Rastlin

Evil Rastlin First Mate

Plunder Pirates is a Freemium platform, wither people like it or not (no matter how much you wish it isn't so, it still is). Freemium games were never made to be about a fair match, nor can they be. If you don't understand this, then you don't understand the many different types of gaming models out there... The freeium design is to make money off the people willing to pay money to be better than their peers, and create the illusion to the free players that with a lot of time invested they can still complete (this gives the $ players someone to beat).

Tex and Salty Snack like this.
  12. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

I don't understand. Freemi, games exist to make money or something less verbose.

13. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

PR is no measure of base strength or anything. It's a number manipulated entirely by the player. Want to avoid being matched by somebody with a high PR? Drop your rank lower. Be warned though, many of the toughest players I have ever seen are sitting in the 200-400 rank working on finishing their wall upgrades. Unless PR is radically changed into something much harder to manipulate, "unfair" matches are a permanent part of the game. What your PH level is currently has nothing to do with it. All players high enough up need grog, and this update basically just makes more available to them without having to drop.

Salty Snack likes this.
  14. Evil Rastlin

Evil Rastlin First Mate

Google it to learn more.
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Further information: Shareware
    [​IMG]

In freemium business model, business tiers start with a "free" tier
    Freemium is a pricing strategy by which a product or service (typically a digital offering or application such as software, media, games or web services) is provided free of charge, but money (premium) is charged for proprietary features, functionality, or virtual goods.[1][2] The word "freemium" is a portmanteau neologism that was coined by Jarid Lukin in 2006.[3]

15. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

Ok. Despite various bits of obfuscation. I think we can agree. PR does not match equal people. Question is.

So what....

What do you want?

Equal matches, based on..... Pr, maybe average guild pr, base strength.

Pay more win spares.

Have a league of position against usd. Go on, I dare u.....

Who won minus substitutes. Back to above..

Somebody is going to complain anyway. Bring on wars.

Bed time.

16. Rachael

Rachael Crew

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with Freemium games :rolleyes:

I think the point was the HUGE difference in the matchup. I have matched +-150-200 the last few days. We are just trying to find the cutoff. It was sort of a 'gather information thread' not a PR/PH war.

Kelani and Shonda La like this.
  17. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

I understand all of this, and what you're saying isnt any different from what I've already said. My point is that I got attacked by a player 269 above me, which is unusual. Period. Just wondering if anyone else is noticing such a large attack range as well. I dont need everyone trying to explain to me how the game works, bc I've been around long enough to figure that out. :)

Cocobean and Kelani like this.
  18. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Let me boil it down a bit..

This thread was simply asking "Is anyone else experiencing this increased match range, and if so, how much".

Current # of replies: 37
    With the requested info: 5

19. Tex

Tex Commodore

Last comment from Tex. I raised this exact question to @Lynsey [Midoki] in the thread where she informed us about the PR matching change. I asked, please tell us exactly how many PR +\- we can attack or be attacked.

Is there any reason Midoki should not be transparent about game changes? Sharing changes made to the game with players would end speculation and many of the spats that arise from disinformation.

20. Burnz

Burnz Captain

@Shonda La - So I'm now sitting at 629PR and ranked 947 World Wide, wooo whooo, top 1000. :cool: So back to my earlier point of there not really being that many people ahead of me and who knows how many have shields. I can only guess that players in the 800's don't really have a lot of bases to choose from. Players that high will either be online, have a shield or are too tuff for an attack. I would guess that the person who attacked you saw your base pop up after nexting a bunch of times and attacked you, i.e. they already went through a ton of bases in a fairer range. Did you have a lot of grog to offer, they could have been looking for a rich grog filled base. IDK. I checked out your base and you are coming along nicely, but if you came up in my searches, I would attack you without a second thought.

That aside, I have not seen that big of an increase, but I have seen 140+, I don't remember the exact number though.

So to make sure this fits into @Kelani list of relevance

1- No, I haven't seen that big of a difference
    2- Someone nexted a lot and your base came up
    3- You may have had a ton of grog/gold to offer and they were looking for that
    4- The higher up players have a fewer bases to choose from and Midoki widened the margins of bases to find

Oh one last point, a similar game had a problem at the top of the leaderboards where they would spend a significant amount of time looking at clouds waiting for a base to find and Midoki doesn't want there players to deal with that garbage.

Kelani likes this.