Drop Cabin Boy for a gender-neutral term

Discussion in 'Guild Improvements' started by Kelani, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I have a lot of lady pirates in my guild, and one thing that annoys them is being called a cabin boy.
    Buried in one of my guild feature requests, I listed a few possible gender-neutral replacements. Since then, I've run them by several lady pirates, and here was their verdict.

= Lady Pirate Approved
    X = Lady Pirate Rejected (forcefully)

Powder Monkey (#1 most popular)
    Deck hand (#2 most popular)
    Swabbie/Swab
    ABS
    (able-bodied sailor)
    2nd Mate
    X Porthole
    X Wharf Bunny
    X Booties
    X Dinghies

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  2. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Powder monkey all the way

pwrovryou and Captain Monkey like this.
  3. Deckhand to stay realistic, yet powder monkey does make my fish-senses tingle ;)

4. Admin [Midoki]

Admin [Midoki] Administrator Staff Member

I remember I went to all the effort to do this once before, and the person who wanted the change stopped coming on the forum. Still, if the request is back, I am sure I can do it again.

Choose what you want Cabin Boy to become and I'll do the necessary.

pwrovryou likes this.
  5. TBird

TBird Captain

Deckhand is more in line
    + 3.1416 votes

Bear likes this.
  6. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

We solved the problem by promoting all the lady pirates to first mate. Actually, we promoted everyone to first mate which solved all kinds of issues. As much as I would prefer a more creative term, Deck Hand would probably be the best choice presented so far for a game trying to appease a broad range of players while also staying gender neutral.

.Lord M€G/\T|2ON. likes this.
  7. Admin [Midoki]

Admin [Midoki] Administrator Staff Member

Sorry I'm getting confused now. Are we talking about in the game or on the forum?

8. TBird

TBird Captain

I do think he means in game... So his girls/women on his team (or any team) are deckhands instead of boys

9. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Both

10. Salty Snack

Salty Snack Captain

Powder Monkey. Definitely.

11. Deck swabber was posted in a other thread that was a funny twist, Powder monkey also is good but it may alienate the pirate parrot fan base,jk... but deckhand seems to more appropriate. Plus more females that feel welcomed to the game and forum the more this game grows from a marketing stand point bigger base of fans and user more money more great improvements, This thread is a very good idea.

12. TBird

TBird Captain

Funny Chris :) I just noticed the newbies on the forum are Powder Monkeys

13. Research dept. working overtime on that fact. Good catch Tbird never noticed that.Just like I never noticed all the male pirates have no nose? Females do... A female plunder player pointed that out.:)

LadyoftheSea likes this.
  14. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

@Chris [Midoki] The ladies in question are talking about the game, but the forum would also be a nice touch. I have eight lady pirates in my guild, and seven of them are members on the forum. I'm asking them to come vote here.

Could use your input also: @Christy @Sludge @Tikigirl

15. It would be nice to have the women speak for themselfs on this subject not just males. So yes @female pirates on forum, voice your thoughts. Ty

LadyoftheSea and yeti like this.
  16. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I asked all the ones in my guild to drop by and speak up.

17. I got a lot of @'s to do I guess ...or just link this thread in prvt. Conversation and add all of them to the chat. would like to see more females give input here so ill get the word out to those I chat with here. again good thread and great to see modoki ready to make changes.

@Christy @Queen Victoria @QueenCandy @whitney @Wepwaet ...what's your thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    LadyoftheSea likes this.
  18. Marmaladesix

Marmaladesix First Mate

Matey? Or Bilge rat.

19. Captain Monkey

Captain Monkey First Mate

Haha of course, I'm for powder mönkey. But seriously, this is an issue that has bothered me too. I hate being cabin boy in game, it implies that I must be male, when I'm not. Total identity crisis. I'm now crew. But when I was cabin boy, I was hating the term.