Drop Cabin Boy for a gender-neutral term

Discussion in 'Guild Improvements' started by Kelani, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Cpt. Sharkhook

Cpt. Sharkhook Powder Monkey

Probably because the stakes are the shark not the bait.

2. Captain Hakjka

Captain Hakjka First Mate

Thanks Moscow Cat, interesting read. For some reason it made me look up what the Romans did.

Looks like Emperor Septimius Severus is to blame!

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-roman-gladiators

3. Captain Hakjka

Captain Hakjka First Mate

+1 to both genders

Moscow Cat likes this.
  4. Moscow Cat

Moscow Cat Crew

Thank you for the article @Captain Hakjka ! I had no idea women fought as gladiators. How very interesting!

You know, women used to do all the same things as men - even the hunter/gatherer split across the sexes is a myth. Whoever was able bodied went on hunts. And whoever was able bodied foraged - that was difficult! It wasn't as if there were just groves and farms to gather foods from. It would require long walks searching for berries, often down ravines and such.

Oh I love history.

5. Floki

Floki Captain

Now here I am sorry if this offends but we are talking of a politically incorrect time.....Where did you start on the crew CABIN BOY
    Get over it and move on....OK ready for flack.

6. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

No flak, I'll just say that I like the ladies and I'll do quite a bit to keep them playing.
    Change a term to be more gender neutral?
    Sure.

7. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

What he said. The lady pirates in my guild are a huge asset, and without them, the guild would be a ghost ship. Maybe it's only after you reach a certain age that you start to realize a chat full of guys talking about game stuff just isn't that interesting. I dunno. But they add a new dimension to the game, and that makes it more fun. Just by being there, they make all the guys a bit chattier, which is also a good thing for the guild. For all they do, they deserve some consideration.

8. Floki

Floki Captain

Fair enough I can live with that and my er himmm cabin boy pictured to the left...:p

Kelani likes this.
  9. Such chivallerous pirates we have! :p

Kelani and .Lord M€G/\T|2ON. like this.
  10. Very well said with no flack. Lol

11. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Yeah, little bit. :)

I had that drummed into me when I was growing up. Fortunately, the chivalry lesson I learned was a more inclusive:

"do whatever it takes to make sure everyone is treated equally"

instead of: "oh! fair maiden, pray you'll allow me to lift thy teacup to your rosy lips, lest the strain snap thy dainty wrist"

Moscow Cat likes this.
  12. Haha lol..! xD I am so glad you missed out on that.... :p Nice phrase btw :D did you work hard on it?

Kelani likes this.
  13. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Sadly, no. I'm ashamed to admit that little bit of prose flowed right from my weird-ass brain to my fingers. :(

14. Lol that's too funny.. xD but weird is good Kel, at least you're an original! ;)

Kelani likes this.
  15. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Aw! thanks :) It's fun being the forum weirdo/lady pirate advocate. I get to look like a great guy, and the lady pirates agree not to have me killed. :eek:

16. Floki

Floki Captain

Nothing wrong in getting in touch with your feminine side look at Captain Jack...hehehehehe

Kelani likes this.
  17. pwrovryou

pwrovryou Crew

Wonderfully put, and very well though out.

Moscow Cat likes this.
  18. pwrovryou

pwrovryou Crew

To piggy-back, here is an article on Grace O'Malley- one of the bravest and fiercest pirates of them all! Gave birth to her son, and hours later went above decks to fight alongside her crew in hand-to-hand combat. Badass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_O'Malley

Moscow Cat, Kelani and Tikigirl like this.
  19. Salty Snack

Salty Snack Captain

I expected the Priestess to be a giant Haitian woman with black eyes, wild hair and no teeth. But that would be stereotyping.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Kelani and Captain Harlock like this.
  20. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I also expected to see a portrait of Baron Samedi hanging in the Voodoo Hut.

[​IMG]

Salty Snack likes this.