I can't believe Midoki is ignoring the problem!

Discussion in 'General Bugs' started by JimmyM32, Jan 24, 2015.

1. SaK

SaK First Mate

trust me...im not like others here...who loves to take MIDOKIS side and be soft and wait and watch till the eternity!

I WILL TALK LOUD TILL ITS FIXED!

ur not alone...:cool:

2. SaK

SaK First Mate

im not blaming the DEVS!!! did i tell that anywhere?

i said time will tell recently or far in future who is really doing the real work!( in dual meanings " im mentioning" who is the real stupid?)

3. SaK

SaK First Mate

actually it was for jimmy

4. Black-ish Beard

Black-ish Beard Captain

I give...

[​IMG]

SaK likes this.
  5. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Sorry Sak, All the posts theorizing they aren't doing anything got me confused. :)

My point is, you and everyone else can talk about it all you want, it's not going to make a difference in how fast this is fixed.

SaK likes this.
  6. SaK

SaK First Mate

well, then next step should be BANNING them, isnt it? and if they are banned, MIDOKI should point out and tell us that yes...we have banned them and a strong step has been taken!

shouldnt it be that case?

waiting and watching again

7. SaK

SaK First Mate

your right sir..

but people like me and jimmy cant stop talking and seeing people abusing such a sweet and nice thing infront of the eyes!

nutshell...u do revolt moderately and I do extremely...

the goal is same the path is different!

cheers

Kelani likes this.
  8. Arr

Arr Captain

Squeaky wheel, Kelani. Voices are votes, and people will soon vote with their wallets. Paying customers aren't going to stay quiet. I don't know if you spend on gems, but several of my guild do, and they are not taking this lightly. JimmyM32 is consistently a top 100 player in the game and is the top ranked player in my guild. He plays the game clean, and has my full support.

The other Top 100 players can come out in full force to say, effectively, "Chill out, Midoki has this bug covered in 3 weeks. Deal with the bugs and rank inflation until then." But I haven't heard that. What I have heard are dozens from multiple guilds up in arms about the lack of action on Midoki's own word, and this is how Jimmy started the thread.

The bug he references is true - visit one of the glitchers, and you run the risk of having one of your base items randomly moved to an "illegal" grid. A piece of wall might hide in a ship, or a grog distillery may end up in a mortar. It has nothing to do with island editor. I can corroborate his statement.

Praise all you'd like about Midoki's response to this debacle, but the evidence is crystal clear. The stackers still remain in the Top 100. We've been posting the offenders on Midoki's own support forums and emailing support about the offenders, but nothing has been done about those specific offenders. Heck, I've been posting videos on YouTube about it and have only seen one of these layouts change - Winner from Pirates United, and likely only because his guild mates got wind of our posts.

We'll continue to point out these glitchers, because it hurts the game and Midoki can do something about it by having these bases "forcibly edited over the weekend and messages are being sent to those players".

9. JimmyM32

JimmyM32 Crew

And again said more succinctly than I. This is the truth and money does talk...then walk.

10. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Sometimes I wonder how people ave such restraint an manners with those who obviously don't deserve them. You can't talk sense into an idiot, and SaK - you sir, are quite the idiot.

Everyone is trying to tell you the same things, yet you insist that your arguments based in ignorance will change reality. Well, keep on trying that, I guess. But having no respect for or confidence in the team that develops a game you have enjoyed enough to play and be here isn't going to get anything accomplished.

JimmyM32 likes this.
  11. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Now see, that's the kind of stuff I wish more people would post when crap like this happens :) Nicely said.

I haven't tested the "your base changes when visiting an offender" issue, but if you say it exists, that's good enough for me. I can say a lot of people (myself included) signed on in the last 24h and found our ship's dock had been moved into the center of our town, overlapping other buildings. Whether that was caused by all of us viewing one of those islands previously, or something else, I can't say.

I applaud you for posting the glitchers. If I find any, I'll definitely do the same. I have no problem with financially invested players complaining about this. My only issue is with people confusing the issue by making unfair, speculative comments based on a poor understanding of the situation. All we know is that a Midoki dev came in (on a weekend) and told us what they plan to do about it. We don't know the amount of work that will entail, or how long it will take. We do know that until the second update is released, it's not going to be fixed, and that the devs are trying to band-aid it in the meantime. IMO, there's not much else that could be done here.

Given all that info, it's ridiculous for people to ignore the fact that this only became widely-known yesterday, and respond by slamming Midoki because it wasn't fixed overnight. (Or because their proposed band-aid isn't completed yet) These comments aren't productive and only confuse things for people trying to get the real story. IMO, that time could be much better spent finding and reporting glitched bases.

Jun, Raptelan and Black-ish Beard like this.
  12. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

It's a real issue. My ship got displaced and a cannon overlapped a tower. Fixed it, but then after looking at a stacked base from the leaderboard, my base ended up stacked again somewhat differently. Others in my guild didn't even do that and ended up with their bases corrupted, most likely from unknowingly skipping past a stacker when attacking. Viewing a stacked base doesn't always trigger the problem, but the odds aren't good.

Arr and JimmyM32 like this.
  13. JimmyM32

JimmyM32 Crew

These same effects have been seen time and time again in our guild.

14. Arr

Arr Captain

Focusing on this bug - it happened to me a few times, and only started when I started visiting the glitchers. Like yourself and others, I found my ship in the middle of my base for no apparent reason, among other ra. I still can't repro it 1:1. Hopefully I'll nail what's going on since it is seemingly random.

@Raptelan, it's an intesting concept that skipping over a stacked base would trigger these glitches. It's very possible, given that we've seen the bug pop up from just viewing the base on the leaderboard.

Kelani likes this.
  15. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Guy #14 on leaderboard had his base stacked a lot yesterday, then earlier I saw it had been edited (presumably by Midoki, nothing left stacked, things moved out to corners and a puddle left in the middle). Now he is stacked again, though not as much.

"Maybe it's okay if I just stack a little bit"

Seems like a good candidate for a ban if he's continuing to do this after being warned.

16. Christy

Christy Commodore

But if Midoki rearranges the base and then the players are going in and stacking the base again shouldn't they get banned?

17. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Just to reiterate, we're not ignoring the problem.

With overlapping bases:
    • We became aware of the issue on Friday just gone, and fixed it the same day.
    • As it's not a server-side fix, it has to go into an update - it can't go into the first update that should be going live tomorrow, because that was submitted over a week before we knew the issue existed.
    • Therefore, it's gone into the second update, which is being submitted tomorrow.
    • We're sending out a message to the players using the exploit, giving them a grace period to fix their bases
    • We're not immediately banning players without warning because
      • a) it's not reasonable to ban people for finding a bug or exploit in your game before you've had a chance to deal with it. However, once the message is out, we will be issuing bans if they keep on using the exploit, and also
      • b) we're now getting reports of people saying that they've had illegally placed objects in their base by looking at an exploiter's overlapped base, which adds a layer of complication with the risk of false positives
    With the repeated attacks/free army issue - this was fixed a few weeks back, so is in the update that has been submitted, approved and is going live tomorrow.

Unfortunately it's quite often the case with games with a large player base that somebody, somewhere will find a bug or exploit in the game that they can use to their own advantage (reverse boosting in Call of Duty, the flag carrier finding a spot where they can't be targeted in Warsong Gulch in WoW, the loot cave or LAN cable Crota exploit in Destiny, gun merging in Borderlands, clock resetting in Candy Crush to get instant life refresh, etc). We're really sorry to all players who have had their enjoyment impacted by this, and we're looking to see how we can handle issues like this in the future.

Burnz, Willard, Chriscat and 3 others like this.
  18. Darth Yoda

Darth Yoda First Mate

Thanks once again Lynsey. The forum gets a little emotional at times, but hopefully some patience will now settle on the members as we wait the two updates to work some Midoki magic.

Keep up the good work.

Raptelan likes this.
  19. Arr

Arr Captain

Fair enough, @Lynsey [Midoki], and thank you for the detailed response. Beyond the grace period (which I take is not 1 day shy of the second update, which should be live around next Tuesday / Wednesday), can we expect these layouts to be "forcibly edited", as stated earlier? To calm the masses, it would also help to explicitly state said grace period.

Although as individuals we are not able to do anything but stand by and wait for the fix, we are organized into guilds, and the guild captains have a say in what goes on "in-house", so to speak. I suggest pinging the captains in addition to the offending players. The straight and true guild captains will keep their shenanigans in order, leaving you to concentrate on the problem areas. Your moderator teams won't have to worry about my guilds, so that's ~50 players less to maintain.

Lastly, there has been some silence on how Midoki plans to handle the artificial rank inflation issue. The leaderboards are a mess because of the bugs and exploits. Several are in favor of a "rank reset". Whatever the official response, something needs to be done about rank after these exploits have been dealt with.

20. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Many of the bases have already been edited by ourselves, and we're also seeing a high number of people voluntarily fixing their bases (we've had the Captain of one of the top guilds contact us and apologise). Other matters are still under discussion, so unfortunately I can't give you any more information about that.

Also please note that appreviewtimes.com isn't, by its own admission, completely accurate.

Captain Monkey likes this.