Streaks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fil, Oct 12, 2015.

1. It's as same as another strategy game i've played before, it's name was hero sky if i'm not mistaken.

In that game after 3 consecutive win your troops would get a huge boost and 3 chest with random stuff which you will choose one and get the reward by accident.

Since this game also has chests and materials for the heroes i believe it'll be the same but the drop rates definitely will be sth players will start to discuss once it's released

2. Booty isle

Booty isle Captain

I really hope this is the case. Pushing rank needs to be a huge priority for Midoki...

3. WinstonCOV

WinstonCOV First Mate

I hate to seem pessimistic, but this seems like it has to potential to be disbalancing.

First, it will probably have a greater impact on players with lower PH. They can still bring guild troops to help run over their peers and win series of battles.

Second, it will not necessarily promote pirate rank in higher PH bases, but seems most likely to promote oscillating pirate rank. For instance, if you start at PR 300, then drop to PR 100, then streak wins to PR 300+ so that you reach the milestone you want (lower recruit times, chests, ect), then you will simply drop rank, rinse and repeat.

I don't see this as a game changer, or major improvement, but I like earning chests instead of thinking about buying them.

Bou Regreg and Kelani like this.
  4. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Unbelievable. For almost a year, people have been clamoring for incentives to rank up, and complaining because they're getting farmed to death. Well, here we have Midoki addressing one of the oldest (and most-posted-about) complaints in the game by essentially giving us free loot for doing the same things we already do, and people still find reasons to complain about it.

I don't know whether these Streak rewards will be enough to make this feature a game changer, and the potential for abuse that @WinstonCOV mentioned certainly seems like a possibility, but all that aside, I still think this is a long-awaited step in the right direction. And I'm glad to see Midoki finally choosing to provide an incentive for ranking up, rather than more punishments for staying at a low rank.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Mr. Brown, Rachael, John56 and 4 others like this.
  5. Floki

Floki Captain

^^They only complain as they have a pessimistic streak.:oops:

Ian and bucket like this.
  6. Darth Yoda

Darth Yoda First Mate

it will depend on how long a streak needs to run to get benefits. if reduced recruitment times only works during a long streak then losing to recycle the process makes no sense as you lose the reduced recruit times again. Devil will be in the detail as they say...

Ian likes this.
  7. WinstonCOV

WinstonCOV First Mate

Just to clarify what I wrote above, you would drop your rank to something low, then streak until you reached the reward you want, and at that point you will have to make a decision. Do you want to keep streaking to achieve the next reward (which might be too involved to be worth your time), or do you drop rank to restart the streaking process again.

A hypothetical example, with no idea of how this is going to be implimented. Let's say that a streak of 5 rewards gold/grogg, then 10 rewards lower recruit times, then 20 rewards a chest, and then 40 rewards the coveted "Streak Bonus" that is mentioned in the announcement.

Here is what I would do: I would drop rank to about 100, streak to 20 and get every reward up to a chest, and then drop rank back to 100, and repeat. If the "Streak Bonus" is going to take me too long to achieve and I might screw it up along the way, I would rather use my time to achieve another chest.

What I'm curious about is how the streaks take into account 1, 2, or 3 star wins. It's not too difficult to get 1 star wins, if that is your goal. 1 star wins won't drive your PR up very much either. So 20, 1 star wins could be easily streaked and would not put you into a difficult series of bases.

The other thing I think is a little off about this idea is that you need to streak a series of wins in order to achieve reduced recruit times. Well, I might get 20-25 attacks in during a day. If streaking 20 attacks provides X% reduction in recruit time for, say 8 hours, well I will achieve this goal just before I go to bed and it won't be useful. So what then is the motivation for streaking? Let's hope @Lynsey [Midoki] can get a sneak peek at how the implementation of this will effect players in the game.

8. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Streaks use the instant rehire button, and end once you exit out of the battle state and go back to your island. Every battle you do increases your streak, and each battle (excluding ones where you surrender) gives you a new random 'Streak Buff' that can give you an advantage, such as bonus resources, or increased damage, toughness or reduced ability cooldowns for particular types of pirate. However you only get rewards (reduced recruiting times, chests) according to the number of victories within the streak.

WinstonCOV likes this.
  9. Sounds different then what Winston was thinking though. Most of us thought it required a constant win streak to remain unbroken, but instead seems to involve a single battle session where losses don't matter but wins give bonuses.

Can't go back to your base and you have to stay on the battle screen? Sounds like gemming is required unless you sit on the post battle screen keeping it active while your troops train so you don't log out. Sounds like you have to pay to play streaks. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

10. Thunder

Thunder Powder Monkey

Sounds that way to me, too. I'd be interested in having this clarified?

11. WinstonCOV

WinstonCOV First Mate

12. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

What? It needs us to gem?
    Ok @Lynsey [Midoki] I guess my max streak will be 20...
    (till my LP is exhausted)

13. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

You will be able to swap your Legendary Pirate to a non-exhausted one on the rehire screen - the recovery cost is no longer included in the rehire cost.

Souki and Kelani like this.
  14. Ultimate Sea Dog

YES!!! thanks Lynsey!

15. Ultimate Sea Dog

BTW- that means that the max streak ever is 120 (or 240 after all 12 are released)

16. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

Not necessarily. Not everyone deploys their LPs.

Kelani likes this.
  17. # Johnny Doe #

# Johnny Doe # First Mate

So you have to stay online or gem to get the bonus?
    "I will come back" was a pretty good name. They will kill us all if they can stay online like they did before :(

18. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

Yes. You would have to gem you rehires.

19. Cocobean

Cocobean First Mate

So if I'm understanding correctly, we wouldn't be able to send our ship out if we were trying to maintain a streak?

WinstonCOV likes this.
  20. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

Correct, bc you would be on the rumble screen for the duration of your streak. But if you're sending your ship on long voyages, it shouldn't make much of a difference, especially if you send it out pre-streak or starting a streak mid-voyage.