Witch Doctor runs off...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BOomSt!cK, Jul 8, 2015.

1. BOomSt!cK

BOomSt!cK Powder Monkey

The last three battles in a row, even though I planted him near a bunch of bombers/gunners, my witch doctor immediately takes off towards a few jugs way over on the other side of the island, leaving the bombers/gunners unprotected. This never happened before. Is it new? Is it a glitch? Anybody else experience this?

2. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

/\ /\ Not a bug - WD AI has been redesigned

BOomSt!cK likes this.
  3. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Same here.

4. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

The Witch Doctor AI has been overhauled with the following changes to his priority:

* The WD will seek to protect the pirates largest pool of health - this was done to prevent him toddling off after lone gunners or bombers that split away from the main pack, particularly when working in unison with a second or third WD. He will still protect a group of gunners if their collective hit points is greater than any other group of pirates or individual pirates.

* He will prioritise living pirates over the dead

* If all pirates are dead but there's some skeletons up and about, he will protect them

* If all living pirates are dead, and there are no resurrected skeletons, and there are resurrectable Skellywag corpses, then the WD will move to them

* If all living pirates are dead, and there are no resurrected skeletons, and there are no resurrectable Skellywag corpses, then the WD will move to non-Skellywag corpses

# Johnny Doe # and peg-brain bob like this.
  5. BOomSt!cK

BOomSt!cK Powder Monkey

Well, that would explain it... Still, it would make more sense for a WD to protect the largest pool of units imo...

Edit: Why would a WD protect pirates with the highest hp anyway? It's the lower hp pirates that need protection...

6. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Yeah, I want my wd on my gunner group. I almost never want him protecting the juggs, which i use to draw fire and as meat shields.

7. BOomSt!cK

BOomSt!cK Powder Monkey

Exactly.

8. Bear

Bear Commodore

Exactly! This should be changed to largest group of Pirates, not most health, if I drop 6 juggs, there is no hope of my witch doctor protecting my gunners...

9. Bear

Bear Commodore

I struggle to believe that this "optimization" was tested enough. It seems like they said,"the WD needs to stop chasing like gunners, how can we fix it?" " let's make it follow the most health" "oh that will work" *proceed to code changes without actually playing with them to see how it works"

I know that midoki pays a couple companies to QA test their game, but they aren't getting their money's worth out of them.

850arrr, anime, Burnz and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bear

Bear Commodore

But a lot if bases you don't have a long enough walk for the juggs to get ahead.

11. yeti

yeti Captain

Daddy P likes this.
  12. Barbed

Barbed First Mate

Jesus, how Its silly!
    He must protect not largest pool of Health but largest pool of Damage!!!
    Not considering bombers because of its unpredictable fast long moves.
    Ten nearly dead gunners thousand times more important than one healthy jugger! They will make a round not the slow fat "I-break-nothing" one!
    You protectiong that doesn't need protection and leave that need it. Juggs are tanks they must never be protected, they are diversion units!
    Damn!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    MorganFlint and BOomSt!cK like this.
  13. Marmaladesix

Marmaladesix First Mate

Well I guess that explains why my WD abandoned my gunners attacking good storages yesterday to cover my jugg smashing up an outhouse... :/

awbo, Becker Redbeard and BOomSt!cK like this.
  14. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Screenshots of the crazy . . . (btw, this is a rumble rival, so don't pick on me for being a bully :p). I waited a long time to drop the gunners and wd, but the wd sprinted past my gunners to protect the juggs pounding the ship. Still got 100% but was lucky cause gunners were unprotected most of the battle (See them in the middle shivering in their boots?).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MorganFlint, Becker Redbeard and Bear like this.
  15. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Another example. WD stayed with 1 jugg in jugg trap the entire battle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MorganFlint and Becker Redbeard like this.
  16. BOomSt!cK

BOomSt!cK Powder Monkey

Yup. Same here.

17. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

You monster. Q_Q

We're looking into this and potentially tweaking this so he won't be quite so eager in his pursuit of Juggs, especially if they're quite some distance away. We obviously want him to be viable with a wide range of play styles.

18. Hektor

Hektor Powder Monkey

This looks more like a bug not like a target of programming. The former rules makes much more sense. Please change it. The Doc is running around totally confusing, it seems he is falling in love

MorganFlint and Jana like this.
  19. Jana

Jana Powder Monkey

The doc seeks not the healthiest pirates... only the juggs.. Hektor certainly is right with his assumption... He is in love with the Juggs...:rolleyes:

Pleeeeeaaaaase (!), change this... I donĀ“t like this new feature!

20. roguecylon

roguecylon Captain

Unfortunately another example of the lack of QA and testing. For many the actions of the WD are as bad as the depleted AI of the gunners, and in many cases worse. You fixed a problem with a worse action.

850arrr, grahvity and MorganFlint like this.