New Rumble format (3.4.0)

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Dec 3, 2018.

1. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

We finally have an almost reasonable match-up with American Pirates if the opposition goes a little closer to their best than average, but interestingly the rewards are better (25 gems and 3 million grog and gold). Are the rewards better when the match approaches an even battle? Or is it a Midoki tweak?

2. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

I can say no to that. We’ve had great rewards with an easy win.

3. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain

Well put brother

4. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Nope, no tweak - the Rumble reward is based on the Rumble matchup. Very roughly speaking*, if a high tier guild is matched with another high tier guild, the Rumble has a high tier reward. If a high tier guild is matched with a mid or low tier guild, the Rumble would have a reward that's between the tiers (as the Rumble would be easier for the higher tier guild, and harder for the lower tier one).

*Very roughly speaking, there's currently 52 tiers according to guild composition, each with its own reward.

5. laaafish

laaafish Crew

Not very fair to guilds that aren't full then. There is no hope for small guilds with rumble rewards and events! Unless we all quit our guilds and join a bigger one. o_O

6. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

Out of the 4-5 rumbles we have had so far, all but one has been very evenly matched and competitive. It has been more competitive for us this way so far, but again that’s only a small sample size. Also, the match times have been soooo fast which is great, I was worried about that aspect. It would seem to me from reading these posts that the smaller guilds are having to jump up to fight bigger guilds in order to get a match within a reasonable amount of time, which to me suggests that there aren’t that many smaller guilds actually rumbling. It would seem to me that as a smaller guild, you would have a much lesser chance of matching a big guild in the current 1v1 format as opposed to 5v5, where clearly there are 4 chances to match a big guild instead of 1 chance. I wouldn’t throw in the towel yet, try some different start times and days, sometimes that’s all it takes to find a good match.

Cheers and happy sailing!

-Oak

7. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

Yesterday, our guild of 15 matched a guild of 1. Rumble reward was 5 million ☺️
    Good for us, not fair for the single player....but easy second place winnings.

8. Lynsey [Midoki]

I'd say that if anyone feels that their guild is persistently being put into odd matchups (whether they too easy or too hard), please submit a ticket so we can look at specific cases.

Taipanfan and Sea Patriot like this.
  9. Captain Ironfist

Captain Ironfist Powder Monkey

Got an awful match today with a completely dead guild, most players inactive 200+ days! Only active player was captain and they didn’t even put one attack up! :confused:

10. NinjaNurse

NinjaNurse Crew

My observation, a I concede that it's early days, is that we've had no even or close matchups. We've either had our arses royally kicked and didn't stand a chance OR we've royally kicked arse and the opposition didn't stand a chance. Two extremes.

11. Burian

Burian Crew

I think that this new kind of matchmaking will kill the game soon.

All my mates are doing ridicolous score since the upgrade but we have won all rumbles (all incredibile Easy).
    No reaseon to play now except chatting with my mates.

Bye all

12. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

Based on rewards we must have got matched close to our own teir again today but was a complete washout as they hardly showed up. Gotta assume their top scorers were visiting somewhere else. At least with this new system we do have a better ratio of wins to losses but the match-ups remain lousy. Please Midoki, just try matching with the rumble average (based on current line-up) being the prime criteria.

Sea Patriot likes this.
  13. Lynsey [Midoki]

This is something that we're looking into (looking at the Rumble average score for each player and combining it), but it's not a quick fix and may ultimately lead to the same issue (as the matchmaking parameters will expand if a precise matchup can't be found, unless people are willing to wait for a Rumble). We're also looking into discounting members that have been offline for more than four weeks in the lineup with the current system.

Oak Island likes this.
  14. Lynsey [Midoki]

OK, we found an issue - the Rumble matchmaking was already supposed to drop players from consideration if they hadn't been online for two week or more, but unfortunately this bit of code isn't working. We're hoping to have it sorted soon and rolled out early next week.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Sea Patriot and Oak Island like this.
  15. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

I think this is a great idea and should definitely be incorporated. There are way too many guilds that are nearly full but only have a handful of active players. If a guild of 50 has only 4 active players, it should only match with another guild with a similar amount of active players. This parameter would/should hopefully help create more fair matchups.

That being said, we still have had mostly fair matchups. I actually do not have anything negative to say about the new system and love the enhanced rewards! Walls are coming along even faster now! I must also say I have not really noticed a huge difference between the match making from the old to new systems, we either get a great competitive match or a fairly easy one, same as before. I’m not sure why so many people here have had such issues with the matching when it basically seems the same to me.

Cheers!

-Oak

MorganFlint and Sea Patriot like this.
  16. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain

Totally agreed mate!

17. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain

My first thought of 1v1 guild rumble was all guilds islands merge into one and both guilds take turns destroying the mega island until it’s destroyed (limited attacks of course)

Oak Island likes this.
  18. Burian

Burian Crew

Lynsey can you replace rumble 5vs5 until try to change the matchmaking rules based on average points?

In my guild some top players are talking about leave the game and I totally understand them. Rumble or no rumble now is the same thing. No rumble, no chat, no game. And no gems used.
    I hope that something will change very soon to avoid the worst thing: friends that leave the game!

Hurry up!

Byeee

19. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

If rumble average was used as the main parameter for match-up, what difference would it make how many people are in the guild?
    As an extreme example a guild of 1 person that scores 100000 on average playing a guild of 50 people scoring the same 100000 on average should be an even battle. And the same guild of 50 with 25 inactive players still scores the same 100000 average.
    To me it should make the code writing easier to just run on average score and the only expansion of parameters being to accept a bigger difference in average as time progresses.
    I know wait times is an issue. I am in the camp that we should wait longer for a good match-up but there are so many opinions out there that I actually feel sorry for Midoki on this topic. I assume they know the average wait time (please share Midoki), I’d guess it to be less than an hour and would gladly accept twice that for a more even match-up.

Sea Patriot and SkimPappa like this.
  20. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain

We once matched with a guild of one, wasn’t expecting we’d lose. They scored 30-60k on their own. Unless they had their perks funded prior to starting they must’ve spent a fortune in gems.