New Rumble format (3.4.0)

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Dec 3, 2018.

1. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

The Rumble format won't be changing back, but we are looking into the matchmaking and should be rolling out some tweaks (including a few fixes) tomorrow.

The issue isn't just rewriting the matchmaking but also the entire reward system - its not a quick or easy fix by any means, and it could end up with similar results of mismatched guilds as the search parameters are expanded. That said, we're definitely keeping an open mind about it as an option.

Average wait times have drastically decreased with the new system , so we can tighten up the matchmaking without hopefully having too much of a negative impact on match up times. That said, we always get more complaints about matchmaking taking too long than we do about the quality of the match ups!

2. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain

Great news!!!

3. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain

@Lynsey [Midoki] How about an idea for a fix: so many times I edit my island to finish and realize I’m too close to one side. Could there be a feature in island editor that allows us to highlight all walls and center them in the middle of the island?

4. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

YES!! @Sea Patriot I have been hoping for this for soooo long! It would be so awesome to just do a slight shift in any 1 direction! This should definitely at least be a feature within the island editor, but it would be also nice to have during normal gameplay/island rearranging as I often slightly move things around all the time without actually being in the editor. Love and second this idea!

Cheers!

-Oak

850arrr and Sea Patriot like this.
  5. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

Not a huge deal, but it would be a nice change to see the switch maps format changed to having all the maps on icons on the right side of the map screen. Then you can easily jump to any map with one button instead of two and having to slide the map choices. Since there will only be 4, theoretically, it won’t clutter the screen.

6. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Would love to be able to pick up all and move slightly one way or the other! Also being able to rotate the whole island would be cool . It might even help guard against those flying pirates, instead of moving flagpoles and other tall structures to block a certain direction. It would be super convenient .)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  7. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Except that the wind direction changes randomly when searching for a base to attack or are you talking about a different attack strategy that I'm not seeing.

8. Armands

Armands Powder Monkey

The matchmaking is very disappointing, only once there was tie match in my guild, and my friend said that in other guild there is no better days to.
    So the prize is 15 gems and 1mil - PRO guild against very low guild - whats the point to battle for both sides? One PRO player could done this rumble by its own!
    No point to battle :( and no interest to play.. RIP?

I could suggest to made events between guild on weekly terms - lets say, EP to collect or BP or whatever. First 10 guilds receives best goods, other 10 worst

And there could be rumble rival, if Youre in the same 10.

9. Jake the Snake

Jake the Snake Powder Monkey

I keep seeing the payouts haven't changed.... They most certainly have! In the old 5 system Rumble Royalty matched the tatters and 3 other barely active guilds, these 3 other guilds would have only lowered the payout for us and tatters. The payout from that rumble was 2mil gold and grog 35 gems. For our very first match in the 1vs1 system we got the tatters, payout was 1mil gold and grog 15 gems. So 3 guilds that scored 10k between them raised our payout?? What's wrong with this picture. So 2 guilds that mostly stay around the 30s or 40s on the rumble board is only worth 1mil 15 gem. The pirates are getting cranky, they're asking me what are we fighting for? Talking about quitting the game, deleting the game, my only comfort to them has been to assure them Midoki IS working on it, and to please be patient and hang on. We could deal with some of these poor matchup better with some decent rewards! Thank you!

10. ren skeldon

ren skeldon Powder Monkey

No, you are not the only one we are a team w/ lots of heart but the game has drained the blood. Pirates don't want to battle for second. Need a big fix for this blunder. Quack quack

11. Jake the Snake

Jake the Snake Powder Monkey

Each guild in a rumble together should have their own set of rewards for 1st and 2nd, i get it you dont want to give a big reward to a guild who should easily win a rumble, but we didnt choose the matchup? But we have to pay for it with less rewards. Some of us enjoy the game so much our guild still comes out and spends gems and still score 80k when the other guild is at 5k, please reward us for that! Thanks ✌

12. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

As far as i remember Midoki talked about to make the matchups more fair, but nothing about that in many cases also the rewards would drop so dramaticly.
    We didn’t see that in 5 vs 5 so much. Okay, we also had 1,3M rumbles in the old times, but the gems have been never lower then 30 for that.
    With the old 5vs5 system many guilds didn’t have a chance to win because they got matched with so much stronger guilds sometimes and now it makes not much sense to fight for 15 gems and 1M. :confused: And still get matched with a much stronger guild.
    MoonShiners 15 just matched with a 2 player guild. 5152:41. What sense makes that? Rewards are 20 gems and 1M.

13. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

The only way I can see for a competitive match is to base it on rumble average. Forget size of guild, spread of PH, etc. If two guilds match with similar average regardless of the other stuff, it should be a competitive rumble.keep the average for the last seven rumbles so the average stays current to the make-up of the guild and it should work better.
    As Lynsey has stated though, the wait times may increase. I’d be happy with that for better match-ups. But also stated by Lynsey, they get way more complaints about wait times than quality of the match-up.
    As much as I am critical of Midoki from time to time, I think we need to see the argument from both sides. I think the new systemis better. If the rewards are lower it’s generally a very easy win so “money for nothing”. A good match-up gets good rewards (for both!). The non-gemmers aren’t constantly being matched with gemmers.
    It’s just that it could be so much better with competitive match-ups, most of the time. How about convincing those about to quit to join the forum to prove that their is a large number of people that want a competitve match-up.

14. Heatmiser4

Heatmiser4 Crew

So yes we have had mostly easy over powered matchups so far however that is not why I feel this is better for Firewater. Many of my crew are not maxed so we have enjoyed the increased rewards. I have more LPs training in the last 2 weeks then in the last two months. I also like that I can push at anytime and not have to worry about a 3-5hr match time where I know one of the top guilds will push and make our rumble impossible. Contrary to what some have said winning second even for good rewards is not much fun. On the flip side easy overpowered first place wins for good rewards is also not much fun! As you know from all of my past posts I have been pushing for even team matches. I know this is not completely possible especially looking at the leaderboard and knowing that some teams have very few true matches. But matches should be first in your own tier based on average rumble scores as guild rank and ph makeup of a guild does not give a true picture of likely rumble potential. When a reasonable time has passed then it should match up or down only one tier. I know we all hate to wait on a rumble but I think from what I have heard most would rather wait a bit than have the mis-matchups occurring now. I understand this is a process and have faith midoki is working to make things fairer for all guild levels.

15. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

I think the wind blows the same direction across the game. It just changes every so many minutes (don’t know exactly how long) So in theory, you could just go into the editor and rotate the island with the wind. ;)

850arrr and MorganFlint like this.
  16. pete

pete Powder Monkey

Price are too low for a guild of 22 player( prize of 750 grog and gold-1 million grog and gold average per rumble)..this is unfair for a guild with a rank around 5500.

MorganFlint likes this.
  17. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain

We just finished a rumble against a guild of one, glad I didn’t underestimate them

18. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Current rumble has us matched with the top ranked and rumble guild MMTX. They are ranked over 9,000 and our guild over 7,000 and both of us top 1-15 rumble guild. Why would our rumble reward now drop (5m gold n grog/35 gems)? We matched similar guilds like Crossbones or Black Velvet and got top rumble rewards not that long ago (6m gold n grog/40 gems). Not that it’s a big deal, just don’t understand why it would be less now. Our guild still has the same crew with no changes and MMTX is actually higher ranked on both leaderboards than the other guilds previously mentioned at the time we rumbled them as far as I remember. Doesn’t make alot of sense to me.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  19. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

@Intimidator
    You should submit a ticket to Midoki. They should take a look at it, because that is not quite right.

Yes, i remember that rumble with the 40gems and 6M both.

20. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

The only difference I could see was MMTX was 49/50 member as opposed to 50/50. I believe Crossbones and Black Velvet were full at the time of the rumble. Another factor could be any tweaks Midoki has done since that may have affected average ph of the crews/rewards. We have all ph12s and only a couple smaller ph players. So does having 1 less player and a couple people lower than ph12 affect rewards that much? I did the math, our avg ph level would still be 11.76. Pretty sure MMTX is all ph12 but didn’t check the whole roster. ;) If the top reward is now 5m gng/35 gems, that would explain it all.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018