New Rumble format (3.4.0)

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Dec 3, 2018.

1. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

Gotta assume they are in a tier above yours, while crossbones, etc, were in the same tier. Lynsey said there are 52 of them.
    It’d be nice to get an indication of what tier we are all in, like a number on the rumble screen.

Intimidator likes this.
  2. Jake the Snake

Jake the Snake Powder Monkey

Who is doing all of this complaing about matchmaking taking too long, please stop! It is about quality of matchup! Rumble Royalty and DANGER ZONE will gladly wait for a better matchup! Have a little patience people, quick matchup will ALWAYS be poor matchup, the longer we give Midoki to match us the better the chance that guild we match up against well will push the button by then. There is 24 hours in a rumble, plenty of time. When the dang thing start should be of small importance.
    How many people do I need to get on a petition saying matchup quality is extremely more important than getting a quick poor match? Please tell me bcuz I will

Sea Patriot, Heatmiser4 and Taipanfan like this.
  3. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

MMTX had a few smaller ph‘s when i checked them out a few days ago. Maybe that was the reason the reward was not the highest possible.

4. Merry XMAS..everyone....

Sea Patriot likes this.
  5. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

We got Crossbones again...6m each/ 40 gems. Random rewards I guess lol.

6. Armands

Armands Powder Monkey

Anyway, the main reason for new rumbles - long match times - is back! I guess, for lower guilds this format is ok, for higher is not working.. maybe becouse there are not so many pro guilds left?
    I like the idea though about average counting only for last say 7-10 rumbles. An the idea about prize depending from bp, that guild got in rumble (with some coef), is great. Otherwise , if guild automaticaly get 2nd place becouse of wrong matchup, there at least is reason to get the prize higher with fighting and not staying behind shield.

7. Captain Ironfist

Captain Ironfist Powder Monkey

The option to ‘challenge’ guilds would be nice as well as just have random matchups. Would enable guilds to choose a rumble opponent sometimes if they have a bad run on the usual matching system.

8. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

The problem with having one guild to battle is limited number of rivals to hit. Occasionally we match a guild, they roll over, play dead and hide behind shields. Assuming they figure they stand no chance... It makes for a dull rumble! :(

When you only rumble twice a week, sort of bummed out to have wasted 24h where a rival guild clearly don’t intend to rumble. There should be an “I surrender” button where the opposing team can forfeit. OR a “skunk” rule. If your winning by so much you have the option to end the rumble early and move on with your life.

Getting a second place reward of 2m each gold n grog for barely doing a thing other than starting a rumble is silly. That is still higher than what the first place rewards would have been in some matches on the old system minus the gems. Getting a 1/3 of the same reward as first place should be much lower.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    850arrr and Taipanfan like this.
  9. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

@Lynsey [Midoki] I understand most of what you wrote above. We matched a guild higher on the leaderboards than us. Assuming they were a tier above us, so our rewards were lower 5m each 35 gems. However we matched someone closer to us or below our guild on the leaderboards and got top reward of 6m each/40 gems. I’m using the leaderboard as a reference only.

For example:
    Crossbones 50/50 vs Scottish Seadogs 50/50. 6m/40 gems. (Mostly ph12, small amount of lower ph)
    Black Velvet 50/50 vs Scottish Seadogs 50/50. 6m/40 gems. (Mostly ph12, small amount of lower ph)
    Mmtx 49/50 vs Scottish Seadogs 50/50. 5m/35 gems. (Mostly ph12, small amount of lower ph)
    Meyham Mutineers 37/50 vs Scottish Seadogs 50/50. 6m/40 gems. (Mostly ph12, small amount of lower ph)

The only match of the above that sticks out to me as a lower reward rumble would be Meyham imo. All the others were very closely matched. I don’t understand why our rewards dropped when we met almost the top guild in the game. Only thing I see is their rank was about 2,000 higher than us. No clue if that made the difference or you could explain. You said rewards aren’t random, so that’s not it.

850arrr likes this.
  10. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

For a guild that doesn’t gem battling against a gemming guild I totally understand them shutting down, and is also why a surrender/skunk button makes so much sense. And also why an even match-up is so important.

As far as the losing team getting reward for zero effort, why can’t the losing reward be equal to the percentage of their score to the winning team score with only the winning team getting gems. A close and fun rumble would result in good reward for both. A team that does nothing would get next to nothing reward and possibly discourage them from rumbling without effort and sabotaging our fun. And that too might limit crappy match-ups.

Intimidator likes this.
  11. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Having only one other guild to battle certainly would cause someone to lay down and not try at all if they know they are outmatched. Even if the guild has heart and pride to fight for if nothing else. There is no second or third place to fight for anymore. In hindsight I think Midoki should reconsider at least having 3 guilds per rumble. It’s first place or a no-brainer reward for second. (All you had to do was hit the button to get it.) No one wants to come in dead last if there’s a shot of snagging a higher spot. More than 1v1 would encourage people to fight harder or gem a couple extra battles if they were close but didn’t typically gem battle.

12. SkimPappa

SkimPappa Powder Monkey

Was there a lot of people asking to go from 5 guilds down to 1 or was this just randomly thought to be what we wanted. I figured it was just due to declining game usage, but we could certainly go half way and have rumbles be 3 guilds instead of just 2. It seems like a good compromise.

13. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

As far as I know I seem to remember Lynsey saying the biggest complaint was long match times. So I’m guessing that’s what they figured would be a sure fire cure. We were already used to 1-4hr wait times, occasionally longer. Now we have seconds or minutes. 3 guilds in my mind would still be a reasonable time to wait. Other post in this thread wanted better quality match ups. I’m in that camp. I’d rather wait than have to sit through a bored to tears rumble lol.

Sea Patriot likes this.
  14. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

We'd have to take a look at the exact composition of each guild at the time of the Rumble to give you an in-depth answer, so you'd need to submit a ticket. At a guess though, the opposition in the lower reward rumbles would have had a higher number of low level Pirate Halls, and the lower level the Pirate Halls, the more it'd drag down their tier.

15. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

The change was to improve the matchmaking for guilds of all levels, whilst keeping the matchmaking relatively snappy. Matchmaking times are currently excellent, so we'll be making a few more tweaks in the new year, as we can tighten things up without stretching the times too much.

MorganFlint likes this.
  16. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain

When is there going to be rewards specifically for players that contribute? And even like a trophy for top tier player(s) in the rumble? I believe that would be much more sufficient

MorganFlint likes this.
  17. lady blackbeard

lady blackbeard Captain

Very happy to report Straw Hats finally got a decent match to rumble.

18. Black-ish Beard

Black-ish Beard Captain

As Cap of a very small guild (just 2 of us), it’s been interesting in a constant rumble mode. Mostly it’s extremely small guilds we match with, but now and then it’ll be a top 50. Pretty silly, but the gems and loot are worth it for my smaller companion.

19. Jake the Snake

Jake the Snake Powder Monkey

Matchups still poor... not going anywhere though bcus this is the best game out there, and i know you guys will fine tune it!! Thanks Midoki!

20. Black-ish Beard

Black-ish Beard Captain

My little 2 island (PH 11 and PH 5) guild was just matched up with the España Pirata guild, rumble ranked #75

Ridiculous for both of us since we had no possible chance, but also because their reward was only 15 gems, 750k gold and grog, and 300BP. Scarcely worth the rumble time.