New Rumble Matchmaking!

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Jun 25, 2019.

1. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

So....having seen some of the rewards for some smaller or lower scoring guilds, I’m hoping some adjustments come sooner than later. I don’t really agree with giving hefty rewards for guilds that do almost nothing, but some of the rewards I’ve seen here and elsewhere are pretty much a kick in the pants. 1-5k gold n grog...really? What pirate hall level could even do anything with that? I did see someone say they had zero gem on their rumble rewards. I think you should at least be able to recoup the 5 gems for starting the rumble.

I know Midoki doesn’t want to hear it, but having a 3 guild rumble would solve some issues. Have a zero rewards for third place. That would give guilds a little something more to fight for, rather than having them fold and take second place rewards which is a given anyway.

ScoopyWP and 850arrr like this.
  2. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

All Rumble tiers, regardless of how low they are, give at least 5 gems for first place. The only time you get 0 gems is if you come second place, which is as it's always been. If someone thinks that they've had a Rumble without a gem reward, get them to submit a ticket and we can take a look.

3. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Must’ve misread @SitFlyer_ post at the beginning of this thread. Oops. I see it now.

4. SitFlyer_

SitFlyer_ Crew

With a new system in place, might it not be a good idea maybe to reset players average score going forward?
    Current stats for myself shows 2,388 avg score over the course of 980 rumble BUT I'm pretty certain that my score for the last 400+ of those is ZERO.

This would end many having the perspective that they score better than they really do.

Maybe it would be better if the average showed a total over the last X-number of rumbles than the current meaningless stat.

Intimidator likes this.
  5. Lynsey [Midoki]

Changing that stat to a rolling average is something that we've talked about (it's always previously been a lifetime stat).

6. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

How long is the average for? Last 2 weeks, 4 weeks, or 3 months, etc?? Just curious what factor X is. Or is it last x number of rumbles?

WOLLIMAUS likes this.
  7. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

I would suggest maybe last 5-10 rumbles. That would give a quite good picture about a players current activity. :p

The lifetime average in our profiles says nothing about how active a player is these days because its changing so slowly, only how active he/ she has been in the past. Some players are only riding those old stats/high averages. ;) And guilds they requesting in gets easily a wrong picture of them when looking at old numbers .... :cool:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Cap'n Flyht and Intimidator like this.
  8. Capnpoopoopants

Capnpoopoopants Powder Monkey

Q1. What is the point of making the rewards for 2 teams (now we are 1v1) a max of 5,000 gold n grog if it is not punishing both teams for not playing enough? Even PH1s can’t do anything with 5k.

Q2. If I can’t send a private message to my players to tell them they haven’t rumbled hard enough or often enough do you want me to kick people I now know who are casual weekend players on the off chance our rewards will go up?

I am facing a mutiny. It will happen fast. The people I will lose will be my PH13s and they won’t go begging to join other guilds they will just STOP PLAYING YOUR GAME as will I. We are adults with kids and have been in the same guild for years.

FYI we won our last rumble and collected our whopping 5000 gold n grog and I got my 5 gems back. Now we are in the running to win a whopping 10,000 of each.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    laaafish likes this.
  9. lady blackbeard

lady blackbeard Captain

At least, this has gotten the forum active again.

10. Air-Rine Pirate

Air-Rine Pirate Powder Monkey

Agreed about the lame rewards. My average army is almost 650k for tough bases, although it is somewhat divisible by two for weaker bases. My re-arm cost is almost 1.2 mil. My guild perks are 200k/5% for blacksmith, and 400k/5% for stonemason.

In other words, during rumbles, when I get attacked more often, my guild of roughly 11, with about half of that really active players, including me, means that in 24 hours with say, 4 attacks and my sailing crew, plus four defends, comes out to...
    3.2 mil in crew costs
    1.2 mil to the stonemason for a mere 20% contribution
    1.0 mil to the blacksmith, also for a mere 20% contribution
    And no less than 4.0 mil for re-arm costs

The ONLY way to possibly keep up with just daily survival (not counting trying to save for more upgrades, which also makes me a waaaaaay bigger target) is to farm lesser bases.

Rumble rewards as they now stand are just not worth it.

And this is coming dangerously close to pay to play to keep up, which is why I quit other team games that went down that road. Don't get me wrong, I want you to stay in business and run a great game. I support that. I have bought 5 bucks worth of gems a few times over the years.

And I have always appreciated that PP could stay competitive by grinding it out, as I have for almost five years.

But I too have a rebellion in my guild currently being discussed. And if the last of the holdouts goes, I suspect I will as well.

I do not wish to start all over again in another guild, again, and am tired of logging in daily and feeling like I am constantly starting over.

Realllllly hoped this gets fixed and doesn't come to this.

laaafish and Capnpoopoopants like this.
  11. Lynsey [Midoki]

The current stat is lifetime.

The rolling matching stat... I'll just say it's 'recent'. Too much information, and people start working out ways to game the system. ;)

ElFrenetico and Intimidator like this.
  12. Kraken

Kraken Powder Monkey

I am Captain of Aussie Rumbles. No longer powder monkey as it says under my profile. Our Guild is currently 54th in the Top 100 Guilds Leaderboard. The only thing that seems to be different since the new matching system went into effect is that the rewards are much less. There is much grumbling among the crew as to whether or not it is worth rumbling for such paltry amounts. We rumble every day and we seem to be getting the same opponents. Why should the rewards be cut so drastically? The rewards, even when we win, aren't even enough to field a sailing crew! I would not think if this continues it will stimulate participation. We don't game the system. We rumble. If the object is to increase gem purchases, I believe it will have the opposite effect and people will leave the game.

MorganFlint, SitFlyer_ and laaafish like this.
  13. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

So we have rumbled twice since the update and matched the top 2 guilds in the world. 100 gems for the winner, which was not us of course, and the same 6 mil gold n grog from the pervious rewards system. My impression thus far is that the new system for high scoring guilds is trash. We have been waiting over 2 hours for our 3rd match. I think this is the longest we have ever waited, even going back to the original rumbling system. The pool of guilds that have high averages seems to be too low to create a match, which is creating stupid long wait times. Is anyone else having trouble matching? I don’t want to wait forever to match the same top 2-3 guilds in the world every time simply because we have a higher average score than most. This is getting ridiculous. Terrible rewards for smaller guilds and super long wait times for bigger guilds, what’s the point? This is certainly not better than it was before the update. I appreciate trying something different and attempting to make the system better, but this is definitely not the answer. Keep trying!

Cheers,

-Oak

14. lady blackbeard

lady blackbeard Captain

Perhaps current rewards would cover costs of rumble if there were less gemming and cheaper crews used. Current attacks have been with very expensive troops. Perhaps we need to cut costs like any prudent operation.

Cap'n Flyht likes this.
  15. Air-Rine Pirate

Air-Rine Pirate Powder Monkey

Just came in second for our tiny guild. I finished first in my guild. 1700 gold, 1700 grog...in other words, about 1/3 of what one single daily reward on a sailing map offers.

Game is completely nerfed for rumbles. Absolutely no incentive when it just increases likelihood you are gonna get whacked and never make the money back.

And agreed: if the idea is to buy more gems, it is having the opposite effect. I think my guild has all but quit.

There is no longer a point to rumble, and the point to play is getting drowned in that as well.

Gotta get back to farming to keep up with the 1.3 mil re-arm costs, and the daily millions of guild perks.

I will try not to spend all 1,700 all in one place.

Sad.

SkimPappa likes this.
  16. For me, it’s kinda enjoy the game for what it is, adapt so that you don’t feel frustrated or burned out by it and enjoy the good company!
    I only use gems when I want to and I understand that rumbles and events cost more that what you get in return.
    The rewards for me are the chatting, challenge and fun!

Midoki can’t please everyone, it’s just not possible and my hats off to them for still trying to improve the game. Which by the way is a mighty fine one!

17. Mr Dish Dash

Mr Dish Dash Powder Monkey

Well... it would be nice to match.... I started a Rumble over 4hrs ago..... still waiting opponents....

Oak Island likes this.
  18. Jake the Snake

Jake the Snake Powder Monkey

@Lynsey [Midoki] Thank you all for this update, We will GLADLY wait 3 hours for a more competitive match, because we have common sense and understand the logic that in order to have a more competitive match, sometimes we have to wait a little while for a guild to push button that we match well against. Please ignore the impatient people who complain about matchup times. But when they used to get a quick match then they complained that it wasn't competitive lol. We understand that you simply can't have both, it's not logical. And a good match has ALWAYS been more important than a quick match! We also understand that it will take a little while in the new system for all guilds to move to their appropriate "brackets" based off of some big guilds not needing to play to their potential lately.

The only thing in my opinion needing "tweaking" is the bottom end of the payout scale, 1k and 5k gng is just way too low. At least give 2 or 300k, something to fight for, gem rewards and BP are good.

We are excited to see the new system blossom in the weeks to come!! This is definitely on the right track!! Thank you all at Midoki

19. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

I’m sorry, but waiting more than 4 hours for a match is completely insane. Waiting an hour is fine, but 4+ is ridiculous. Since there are so few guilds with high averages, the potential to wait incredibly long is too high. If all the guilds in your “bracket” are already rumbling you could potentially wait for 24 hours or more! Totally insane. What this will do is force larger guilds to sandbag a bunch of rumbles in a row in order to be placed in a bracket with more options. If you enjoy waiting 4+ hours for a match, cheers to you. We absolutely do not. Sorry not sorry, the system is bonkers on both ends; super long wait times or terrible rewards; what would you rather have??? There has to be a tweak where matchups are fair, rewards are good, and wait times are manageable. I don’t think that’s too much to ask for. And from the look of it, this tweak has caused so much uproar, I haven’t seen this much activity on the forums in years; and it’s mostly negative. What does that tell you??

Cheers,

-Oak

850arrr likes this.
  20. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

We just waited 4+ hours for a match. We feel your pain! It should never take that long! And actually, ours have gotten progressively worse. First rumble was quick, maybe 10 mins. Second was 1.5 hours or so, not the worst. Third was about 3 hours. And now our fourth was a 4+ hour wait. Just completely bonkers. Good luck next time!

Cheers,

-Oak

850arrr likes this.